Comet incompetance

eiaddyo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6003 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

this is a good one - last weekend I went to comet and bought a nice shiny new TomTom Go 510 SAT NAV - all £299.99 of it.

Now I do quite a bit of Ebaying, so I bought this out of my Ebay profits - which meant I used one of those antiquated bits of paper to pay for it - I forget what they are called - ah yes - a CHEQUE !!!

Now the spotty Oik they've employed in Comet obviously hasn't seen a cheque before - 'cos he had no idea what to do with it.

His till very cleverly wrote the cheque for me..... only thing is - Spotty Oik never gave it to me to sign !

I never even twigged it at the time - until I get a message from Spotty Oiks boss on my answer phone "for me to please come into the store to sign it now ....." - a week later.

I note the slightly desperate "pleeese..."

Right - anyone got any advice ?

I suppose I should just go in and sign it - but it's VERY tempting to say "kiss my a*** "

where do we both stand legally ?

E.I.Addyo

Prelim Letter Sent 12th June 06

LBA Hand Delivered 23rd June 06 - Standard Responses.

Owed £2193.80

Court Questionnaire Completed.

S.C.& M AQ Received..........19th Sept 06

Pending Court Date

This is MY MONEY - I want it back !

It doesn't really matter whether or not you sign it. Comet can still bank it. They will receive thousands of cheques on a daily basis and you can guarentee that some won't be signed. Whether this is legally right I don't know. I have a feeling it isn't

This happened to me in a supermarket with the christmas shopping!! I didn't sign the cheque but it was still debited from my account.

When a cheque goes through the clearing process each cheque isn't checked!!!!! Ie they don't check your signature against a mandate on your bank account if they did the clearing system would take weeks. So I can imagine a few cheques slipping through the system.:shock:

17/4 Sent CCA Request to Cabot - Argos/Cabot

Dont start me on Master & Miss Spotty Oik. Wanted a cordless home phone so of to see the Oiks. There was a phone that i liked but the only one on show was shop soied (shop battered) marked down from £39.99 to £34.99. Explained to Master Oik that i liked the phone but didnt want one that had been the subject of the staff football game around the carpark. Off he went to the stores and brought back a box complete with the store security seal intact. Got home and opened it to find no phone at all in the box just the leads. Back to the shop to see Miss Oik in customer service. She was insisting that as the display ticket said shop soiled that what i got was what i paid for even though i paid full price for it and as it was on offer i had no right to an exchange as they didnt have a new one in stock. Anyway after having a word with father Oik he generously offered me the battered one for a full further £2 reduction (still think hes trying to extract it from his nether region after following my suggestion)

Now the spotty Oik they've employed in Comet obviously hasn't seen a cheque before - 'cos he had no idea what to do with it.

His till very cleverly wrote the cheque for me..... only thing is - Spotty Oik never gave it to me to sign !

I never even twigged it at the time - until I get a message from Spotty Oiks boss on my answer phone "for me to please come into the store to sign it now ....." - a week later.

I note the slightly desperate "pleeese..."

Right - anyone got any advice ?

I suppose I should just go in and sign it - but it's VERY tempting to say "kiss my a*** "

where do we both stand legally ?

E.I.Addyo

As it was a genuine mistake, you should go and sign the cheque "next time you are in the area" - unless they wish to pay your expenses to travel in specially to rectify thier mistake; you have had a few days of credit.

If you refuse, then the phrase "obtaining goods by deception" springs to mind

• 11 months later...

Although I can understand the frustration caused when things do not go as the customer expects, I feel obliged to defend the poor salesperson who, perhaps due to lack of appropriate training or whatever is reduced to being called spotty Oik or moron or whatever the no doubt absolutely perfect customer deems he is entitled to call him...or her. He is someones son, or daughter.....maybe yours. Be mature when you complain and refrain from personal attacks on the person who errs.....we all do at some point. Do you always get things right........hmmmmm ? The question is rhetorical by the way.;)