How late is too late?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1770 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

My brother has recently bought a 10 year old car from a dealer which soon after purchase, developed a few issues. These were dutifully repaired by the Dealer. There was no aftermarket warranty included, but the dealer stepped up above-and-beyond. However, it's now been approx 7 weeks since purchase and the turbo has failed. Would this still be considered a "reasonable" amount of time to consider the dealer liable for the repairs?

It's very nice to hear that the dealer was so helpful – so far.

However, replacing a turbo might involve expense which could change the dealer's attitude. However, you are within the first six months of ownership and in principle you are protected by the Consumer Rights Act and entitled to a repair and if the repair fails or if the repair has refused then you are entitled to a refund.

Have a look here for my view of what your rights are within the first 30 days and then the first six months 

You certainly don't need to rely on a warranty. The statutory rights granted by the Consumer Rights Act trump all warranties.

However you probably should just tell us a little bit more about the vehicle. Mainly what condition was it reckoned to be – in particular – the mileage – make, model and what price was paid for it.

In all fairness it's a 10 year old car, so unless is one of the vehicles in the luxury bracket (which i consider >60k new), then we all need to accept that the threshold of "banger" is very close or being crossed already.

Then there are exceptions to the rule, but a 10 year old corsa with 10k miles on the clock, mint condition and fsh is still an old banger because of market rules, despite being a jewel.

Well, it's isn't a premium car, it's a Golf TDI in pretty good condition with 100k on the clock. I just thought I'd ask the question, but I accept that there's probably nothing that can be done in this case. 

Turbo failure on a tdi with 100k miles.

Starts sounding more like "common".

I've had VW all my life and if looked after they'll go forever, but then maybe i've been lucky.

Don't know if you can claim a new turbo from dealer, surely that would make him a loss on a 10 yo car which in market terms is an old banger.

Some positive news! The dealer in Wolverhampton (not a major brand) is traveling to Leicester tomorrow, with a mechanic, to take a look at the car. Like I say, he's been very good about it all. I'll keep you posted.