• Tweets

• The dealer is MK autos ltd in Milton Keynes.   We know the car was serviced by bmw once, as we called to ask but about 2 years ago.  The car was brought for £10,995 but with finance cost total will be £22,000.. Eye watering amount but again we was pushed into a corner. I needed a car my mum has terminal lung cancer and I do all the hospital appointments. We thought that we would be safe for a while at least.   Again I forgot to mention that although the car had a "service" the rear brakes went and were replaced on the 15th June 2019..   We have paid so far in total £2260 in 6 months.   I am prepared to fight this!!  
    • What is the name of the dealer please? I'm afraid that you seem to have managed to miss certain important landmarks. If a defect occurs within the first 30 days then you are entitled to a refund or a replacement at your option. Unfortunately you didn't assert this short-term right to reject and so you have lost the opportunity. After that, if a defect occurs within the first six months then you have the right to insist upon a repair and if the repair fails then you are entitled to a refund or a replacement at your option. Unfortunately you haven't taken advantage of this. The dealer has claimed that a warranty has expired. It has nothing to do with warranties and in fact warranties tend to be extremely misleading because they tend to lull you into a sense that you have no other rights. This is not true. Under the Consumer Rights Act you are entitled to have a vehicle which is of satisfactory quality – given the price, age, and other relevant factors – and that it remains in a satisfactory condition for a reasonable period of time. On the basis of what you say it seems to me that the defects are serious enough to render the vehicle not of satisfactory quality. However, you are dealing with a dealer who is clearly unhelpful. I don't know why you haven't told us who he is – but you should do. You have taken out finance and although you reached out to the finance company at an early stage, they declined to get involved. They gave you a reason and it seems that you accepted this reason even though you don't seem to understand that the finance company has no friend of yours. Your interests are in conflict with theirs. Under section 75 of the consumer credit act, the finance company is liable to exactly the same extent as the dealer is. The chances are that you may have to take one or other of them to court. You certainly need to be prepared to do so and be prepared to threaten it in the hope that someone will put their hands up – but if they don't then you will go ahead with your threat. Don't bluff. You haven't told us how much you have paid for the vehicle. Also, have you sought an independent quotation for the repair work? On the basis that the dealer is probably going to remain uncooperative then you are probably looking at several months before this is sorted out. The way to deal with it will be to be extremely assertive and aggressive and we will help you if you have the will to do it.  
    • Quick update since it's been 4 months now - they never responded to the letter I sent and the case got passed onto Zinc. They try to phone/text me probably once or twice a week, I have never responded though. Blocking the number doesn't help, seems like they have an endless supply of disposable numbers which is a bit annoying, but whatever 😑. They also send me the occasional email reminding them that I "owe" them money too. I've never received any physical letters.   That's pretty much it. For anyone who came across this post because they're in a similar situation to the one I was, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Just ignore them. These people are powerless. They'll try to contact you endlessly and it's a tiny bit annoying, but eventually they'll bugger off. Nobody will show up at your door. Your credit score won't be affected. Their whole business is based around trying to intimidate vulnerable people into paying money that they don't owe.
    • It depends from a lot of factors: 1. Is the timing chain a serviceable item, even by visual inspection? 2. At around 50k miles i would expect the manufacturer to step in for a snapped chain. IMO they shouldn't break on an almost new engine. 3. Was the car sold as fsh? From main dealer, vat registered garage or backstreet/tesco car park mechanic? 4. Did the chain break inside the 6 months?
  • Our picks

HP Mum

illegally parked van/ hit - who's liable?

Vehicle was hit today.

Really annoying.

A supermarket van had illegally parked on double yellow lines to deliver its crate of food.

The lines were on a main road to the corner of a small street.

My car came out of the small street very slowly - like 1-2mph.   

The main road had a build up of traffic. 

The large van had blocked any ability to see to the left and if any traffic was coming from the left.   

So I just had to drive super slow.

As my car started to edge left into the main road a car came fast from the left (on the opposite side of the road - but it was over the centre line) 

My car stopped to avoid the fast car - which was fine; nothing happened.  But all of a sudden my car and the van were "attached".

I don't know how it really happened.

As I was turning I had had enough space to turn without hitting the van; yet suddenly the rear square-end (and sharp) bumper of the van was embedded in the passenger side of my car.

No damage at all to the van.   

But the van took a gouge out of the car - at the joint of the passenger door and rear side panel.

The only possible explanation is that the van started to reverse across the exit of the small road at the same time as I was exiting and the driver just didn't see my car. 

This is the only way the two can have hit. 

I have good spatial awareness and I would not have misjudged the space.

No-one was hurt; the van is fine; my car needs to be mended.

So where does the guilt lie?  

The van parked illegally on double yellow lines obstructing line of vision and vehicle safe exit from a road? 

The van reversing without looking?   

Or mine?   

The driver immediately said I was to blame.

I took photos of the van reg and how it was parked.

It was minor but I was stressed and a bit emotional as it is the first "accident" I have had...   

I didn't take the driver's details nor did I give mine.

The driver asked me to delete the photos.  I refused. Then I drove off.

Shall I get a quote for the repairs?   

Is it worth contacting the insurance?   

Will they apportion the blame?   

I've never made a car insurance claim.

Posted (edited)

A number of potential issues.

A) if the van driver says you turned into the back of their van, how will you show they reversed into you?

There may be dashcam footage : it could show if they reversed at all.

B) Why would you NOT exchange details?

if the driver claims they asked you for details and you then drove off, how would you show that you were never asked.

Report the incident to the police. Report the incident to your insurers. That way you reduce the risk to you, making it more likely the worst that can happen is your premium rises.

Do you have a dashcam? Save any footage  if you do.

Edited by BazzaS

Posted (edited)

It's not illegal to park on double yellow lines for a while when loading or unloading. Also, there is another possibility apart from the van reversing, you turned too sharply and clipped the van.

Edited by Will Goodfellow

22  Leaving vehicles in dangerous positions.

If a person in charge of a vehicle causes or permits the vehicle or a trailer drawn by it to remain at rest on a road in such a position or in such condition or in such circumstances as to [F1involve a danger of injury] to other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

The van half-parked in a residents parking bay - which as per the Highway Code, is not allowed.  And half-parked on double yellow lines. The Highway Code also says: Double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time even if there are no upright signs.

It seems the van driver was guilty of an offence...

As to did I turn too sharp and clip... well van/ car did connect.  Did the driver reverse?  or did I in the car misjudge the turn?  I honestly don't know.  All I do know is that I was fully aware of the space - and there being enough space to carefully and slowly turn left - and yet suddenly there was no space and my car was touching his van...

Dashcam, dashcam, dashcam.

Whenever everyone installs a dashcam, it will be too late.

:-(

There is case law on this, you were in control of the moving vehicle so it will be your fault,regardless of the parking on DYL's.  Your supposition about a the van deciding to reverse into you at the exact time you were driving into him wont wash. Damage done to his reversing lights might have proved otherwise. If yu want to quote all of the bits of traffic law you have picked out all you will do is drop yourself in it for driving without due care and attention toward other road users so just breathe out, relax and pay for your repairs and dont tell your insurer as your premiums will rocket

As already said, you can park on them to unload unles it is specifically prohibited

If you don’t tell your insurer and the delivery company do, you can invalidate your next insurance renewal unless you declare it then.

if you are planning on declaring it then : may as well declare it now!.

ok   thanks

the delivery co arent going to do anything because their diver left the scene without exchanging details and will get clobbered for a criminal offence of failing to do so.

What I would do is sit on my hands and see if they make contact with you, if they do you go along with it, if they dont then there is nothing to report unless you want to claim on your own insurance

Unless their driver “gets the retaliation in first”.

”I went to speak to her after she hit the van.

I told her she had hit my van. She seemed quite aggressive : then she started taking photos. I thought that’d mean she was wanting to exchange details but then she got in her car & drove off (her driving off whilst I was stationary is there to see on my dashcam......)”

Road Traffic Act 1988 s 170 (2)

2 things are key :

1) was there any damage (even minor / to the bumper) of their van

2) Have they reported it to the police (which you won’t know until you get asked “they notified it within 24 hours, why didn’t you?”

only way to be sure you are on safe ground : notify the police & your insurers.

You will be relying on their driver

a) believing they are at fault, (otherwise, what have they got to lose if their dashcam shows they weren’t moving, or if “the dashcam was off, so I must have had the ignition off, it shows the time I stopped, and the time the ignition was restarted after”) and ALSO

b) hoping you won’t contact the company.

Even if it was their fault, they are less likely to face a disciplinary for telling the company than not, in case you contact the company. So likelihood they’ll have told their company. 

Once the company are involved, you can bet the police will be informed there was an accident & details weren’t exchanged.

Hence my conclusion of “only way to be sure you are on safe ground : notify the police & your insurers”.