• Tweets

• Thank you all for your input so far. I have now received a letter back from my CPR 31.14 stating 'CPR 31.14 is not relevant to small claims matter, pursuant to cpr 27.2......we are under no obligation to disclose the documentation at this stage.' I assume this response is expected?   I have reworded my defence and made it more succinct, I'm not sure what else I could add?   1. Due to the sparseness of the particulars, it is unclear as to what legal basis the claim is brought, whether for breach of contract, contractual liability, or trespass. However, it is denied that the Defendant, or any driver of the vehicle, entered into any contractual agreement with the Claimant, whether express, implied, or by conduct.   2. It is admitted that the Defendant was the registered keeper of the vehicle in question. However, the defendant has no liability as they are the Keeper of the vehicle, and the Private Parking Company has failed to comply with the strict provisions of PoFA 2012 to hold anyone other than the driver liable for the charges.   3. Signage at the site is not sufficient. A sign is present on the left hand side of the entrance, away from the driver, and therefore cannot be easily read by the driver of a passing vehicle. On closer inspection this sign states ’Refer to the full Terms & Conditions signs located throughout the car park’. Signs are located so that information is often obscured by other parked cars and is difficult to read. These signs state ‘Entry to or use of this privately operated and managed car park is subject to the current terms and conditions of vehicle control services ltd. Motorists/persons utilising this car park hereby accept in full the terms and conditions.’ Therefore, the driver is deemed to have agreed to the terms and conditions by having entered the car park before knowing what those terms and conditions are. The elements of offer, acceptance and consideration both ways have therefore not been satisfied and so no contract can exist.   4. The claim contains a substantial charge additional to the parking charge which it is alleged the defendant contracted to pay, This additional charge is not recoverable under the protection of freedoms act 2012, Schedule 4 not with reference to the judgement in parking eye v Beavis. It is an abuse of process from the claimant to issue a knowingly inflated claim for an additional sum which it is not entitled to recover. This order has been made by the court of its own initiative without a hearing pursuant to CPR Rule 3.3(4) of the civil procedure rules 1998    In summary, it is the Defendant's position that the claim discloses no cause of action, is without merit, and has no real prospect of success. Accordingly, the Court is invited to strike out the claim of its own initiative, using its case management powers pursuant to CPR 3.4. 
    • On side note: I have notice that many people without the skills to argue their point, accuse others of being rude, racist, sexist, homophobic etc. I.E. Excuse me, i don't have a receipt for this refund, but i have my bank statement,  can i get a refund? -No, no receipt no refund - But your policy and the law says "proof of purchase" not "receipt " - You're rude/racist/homophobic, you must leave now or i call security.    I see this happening day in day out. Even kids do it, they're very quick at gaining a crowd's attention by shouting "racist/homophobic" so they can feel they've won the argument.  Sad.  
    • The advice is: make a complaint and get a refund. Then make another complaint about the inspectors attitude if you want, but changing the world is something that it's not going to happen, surely not for an excess fare. Inspectors are given discretion and unfortunately some of them take this as a sign of power over other people. It's impossible to sack all people who have a little position of power and employ more, hence the complaint system.  That's life and as .much as everyone of us want to improve it, it's an impossible task, so don't waste your time and brain on it. Just accept that there are things you can't change.  Get your refund, get your apology, then move on. That's my advice.
    • Hi.   I've removed part of the account number to keep this anonymous for you.   Have npower done what the ombudsman said?   HB
    • Read our customer service guide.   You've been here since 2012
  • Our picks

whatshouldido192

Counterfeit 16+ Oyster 71 times - TfL refuses OOC settlement

Hi guys,

I got caught using a counterfeit 16+ Oyster by an inspector in February.

I tried to explain as much as I can honestly to the inspector about who I got it from and how I got it (pretty much the same as the guys here).

As expected,

I got the first letter,

I replied to explain it;

after a few days,

I got nervous and looked for a solicitor to represent me (which actually did nothing as you can see from the title, money was not too well spent).

Today TfL replied to my solicitors that they still decide to go ahead with my prosecution, however, I'm not sure when.

This is my first offense ever and indeed I regret doing it but I won't deny that I didn't do it.

I tried to do as much as research as I can before getting the court summons and hope maybe they can understand my situation, in case you want to know a bit more about me so that I can seek for some advice.

- I've been in the UK since I was 15 (I'm 24 now) with no relatives in the country, being an international student is expensive. 

- I'm currently doing a Ph.D., feeling helpless for not being able to help with my family, I decided last September 2018 to get the oyster; which I aware that it's not right but didn't expect it to be blown out this much.

- I don't have a criminal mind (I don't think this worth mentioning since I did what I did).

- My grandpa was ill, he passed away last March we spent lots of money on him and his funeral as well.

- I felt stressed and also due to my visa I cannot work full time to provide for myself, therefore I was thinking of other ways to save.

- The prosecutor found evidence of me getting the benefit of free bus and discount tube for £100 with 76 uses.

I think that's pretty much it but here are my questions:

- Do you know when I will expect my court summons as it has been more than 3 months?

- Will this criminal record affect my visa status? I'm currently on a Tier 4, I can ask a solicitor about this but again it's too expensive :(

- What is the best possible way for me to communicate with the Court?

- At the moment,

I'm assuming for the worst scenario possible that I will pay my fine and getting a criminal record,

is there other punishment that I can negotiate with the Magistrate Court so that I can avoid this into my record?

- I also did a bit of research as well but I could not find the 2 cases where the conviction was not recorded, could someone with the knowledge help me link to those cases?

That should be all of my questions,

thank you so much for your reading!

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I'm sorry about your experience with the solicitor, it's why we don't advise people to use one.

I can't answer all of your questions but hopefully other people here will know at least some of them.

As to when you might know about a court date, I believe that TfL have six months to bring a prosecution.

At this stage you don't want to communicate with the court, it's TfL's prosecutor or the person dealing with your case. You can continue to negotiate for an OOC settlement up to the court case and even on the day when you can speak with the prosecutor.

You should also read around the CAG transport forum for similar cases with counterfeit Oyster cards to see what tips you can pick up.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

@honeybee13 Thank you for your prompt response. Yes I aware that I should communicate with my prosecutor. I have attached here his response to my solicitor:

554534364_ScreenShot2019-05-21at8_02_39PM.png.763b2c137b15afd087105412cafbf825.png

Regarding his reply, do you think there might be another chance for me to continue to communicate with him? I will do anything that I could so that at least I won't waste the public fund for my case; I know it sounds cheesy but that's the least I can do now

Hi guys, at the moment I have yet to receive anything for court summon.

With all the people I know (who even got caught after me, have already received the letter).

Is it common?

Should I email them again? 

I found another regulation about my university that if I found to have criminal charge, they might reconsider my study with the uni (meaning I can still continue the course), do you still it's still valid to present to my prosecutor to come up with an Ooc settlement? 

they have 6mts.

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Yeah I know they have but just find it's weird as my case is pretty much the same with other people so I was wondering if it's worth giving it another shot in negotiating with them 🤔

your letter might have already worked.

dx

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

spreadsheets 

Hey Dx, could you help me elaborate by what you meant by my letter has already worked? 

I said might...

they could be having a re think, or had one.

another way to look at this is ...IS it a waste of the courts time to prosecute YOU?

looking at it this way...

the route cause is TfL developed or implemented a system that could easily be subjected to fraud..so partly to blame?

the social media outlets did little to disable the fraudsters to be easily found by people...so partly to blame.

i know through interactions with persons connected with TfL i have away from CAG that following another recent period whereby they were actively targeting detection by placing ticket barriers etc into a mode that alerted nearby officers ....that they were quite astounded by the sheer level of these fake cards .

and that a resultant and well publicised series of court cases and large fines from a previous campaign had obviously thus done little to stop there use..or maybe even publicised them unwittingly?? 

all you can do is wait..only a few months to go.

spreadsheets 

Posted (edited)

Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it, I won't keep my hopes up but will consider that if I'm lucky enough that'll be my chance. I will keep you guys up to date! 

Edited by whatshouldido192

Hi guys, 

I've received my court summon,my court date is 17/7 and now I'm returning the form back to court.

there's a section called Statement the accused may with to volunteer, do you know what should I write here?

I have pleaded guilty and will attend court, what should I prepare on the day?

Same response like our letter

no harm now in writing/ringing again as on the day too pleading for OOC

spreadsheets 

@dx100ukThank you so this is what I'm planning to write

Dear Sir/Madam, 

I am writing this letter to sincerely apologise to you regarding the incident which occurred on 19 February 2019. In light of this incident, I am truly guilt-ridden and I am aware how wrong my action were towards TfL and the people behind their operations.

I am a Masters in Science and currently a Doctorate candidate, with many plans for both my professional and personal future. Given my academic background, I truly understand how wrongful my actions were. What I have done was out of my character and was a result of financial and personal issues during that period of time - I was not in my best state. This, however, is no excuse, as I should have known better before breaking TfL’s regulations. This became evident to me the moment the inspector noticed my misconduct and I immediately decided to cooperate fully and provide him as much information as possible. 

I am prepared to pay back any fine and administrative fee that comes as a result of my misbehaviour. I hope, however, that you reconsider the decision of prosecuting me, as a criminal record would be a tragic thing for my future, I have spending 9 years in the UK focusing on studying and this is my first time doing this. I sincerely plead for your pardon and I ensure that this was a one time offence that will not ever happen again. It is my heartfelt hope that you can reconsider and withdraw my charges.

71 times is not a one time offence

I will guess that all bar one are listed as TIC on the court doc?

if you are aiming for OOC simply offer to pay all resultant unpaid fare costs and admin fees. don't mention fine. TfL cant fine you only the court can if they hear the case.

withdraw my charges. - no dont say that..accept an out of court settlement.

spreadsheets 

Thank you for the review! So i've rewritten it as it will need to be sent out today to return the form to court

Dear Sir/Madam, 

I am writing this letter to sincerely apologise to you regarding the incident which occurred on 19 February 2019. In light of this incident, I am truly guilt-ridden and I am aware how wrong my action were towards TfL and the people behind their operations.

I am a Masters in Science and currently a Doctorate candidate, with many plans for both my professional and personal future. Given my academic background, I truly understand how wrongful my actions were. What I have done was out of my character and was a result of financial and personal issues during that period of time - I was not in my best state. This, however, is no excuse, as I should have known better before breaking TfL’s regulations. This became evident to me the moment the inspector noticed my misconduct and I immediately decided to cooperate fully and provide him as much information as possible. 

I am prepared to pay back any unpaid fare costs and administrative fee that comes as a result of my misbehaviour. I hope, however, that you reconsider the decision of prosecuting me, as a criminal record would be a tragic thing for my future, I have spending 9 years in the UK focusing on studying and this is my first time doing this. I sincerely plead for your pardon and I ensure that this will not ever happen again.

Also, do you know how I can identify my TFl prosecutor on the day?

Offer of ooc gone

You need to say why you wish to settle

spreadsheets 

@dx100uk ok so  It is my heartfelt hope that you can reconsider and settle my case out of court as I am half way through my PhD research and this can affect largely on my research continuity due to university policy.

I'm not sure if this is going to be sufficient?

Also I'm a bit confused on TIC(s), should I sign on which offences that I've committed or the one that I didn't?

it states xx offences in TIC yes?

dx

spreadsheets 

read upload please

PDF only

spreadsheets 

yep you sign all those

how many TIC's are there please?

spreadsheets 

Yes,there are 71 of them but 3 of them happened in May (which is impossible since I don't use them so I put a note in that I didn't do this because my card was confiscated since 19 Feb)

good work.

dx

spreadsheets 

Oh and also TFl is charging me with Contrary to Regulation 7(2)(b)(ii) of the Public Service Vehicles (conduct of Drivers, Inspectors, Conductors & Passengers) Regulations 1990 SI No. 1020 and contrary to Section 25(3) of the Public Passenger Vehicle Act 1981. 

Now, I did my research on these regulation but I'm not too clear, could anyone with the knowledge help me see if these charges are super bad?