• Tweets

• They refer to the ID in their statement (Para 19)....   Para 6 is all one statement....broken into extension paragraphs   Paragraph 5 is the killer...I have never tried it in mobile contracts before..lets see what the court thinks.
    • Thanks very much Andy for putting your time in it's really appreciated.   I've removed the bit about ID because I couldn't find where I read it, maybe I imagined it. I do quite like the bit about CPR 3.4 (2 a/c) - practice direction.   Out of curiosity more than anything, paragraph 6 has 2 more paragraphs underneath it. Is it fine to have these like this in a witness statement, they don't need to be 7 and 8?   Now let's send this and see what happens next.. 🍿
    • Well you are in a position where if you issue the claim now and they fold, then you could lose your claim fee and also be left with the vehicle. If you return the vehicle to them for repair then there is a risk that if they folded you might have difficulty getting the vehicle back – but because it is in your name, I expect you eventually would. If you decide to issue the claim then frankly I think I would issue this evening. You have pretty well done the 14 days and in view of their letter suggesting that they might fold, I think you would be justified in acting quickly. I suppose that is possible that they will defend – if for no other reason to cause a delay before any judgement is given. If they did defend then eventually you would receive a directions questionnaire which would ask you various questions as to the management of the case and also if you had any orders to suggest. I don't know if you would succeed but I would propose to the judge that the court orders that the defendants may only continue to defend if they pay the sum claimed into court by way of a security. You would justify this by providing a copy of the letter which showed that they were thinking of dissolving the company. If you were able to get this order then if they did not pay the money in, then you could apply for an immediate judgement and then have it enforced by the High Court enforcement officers. However this is quite a way down the line. I would also follow the company https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06840157 so that you would get early notice of any proposals to dissolve it and you might then be in a position to object. Once the claim was issued, I suppose that you could contact them and discuss the possibility of further repairs. I have to say that you say that you don't believe them, but on the other hand it would be very unusual for them to admit to their customers that they were thinking of ceasing to trade. That certainly sounds to me as if they are trying to be straight dealing with things. I think it's up to you whether or not you want to risk the claim fee – but I also think that you need to make a very quick decision on this and if you decide to go ahead, then you issue the claim this evening.
    • so just ignore the overdraft debts ?  
    • Thanks guys for your input,    Yes Andy, same court, my friends wife only checked her credit file when her friend got refused credit and checked hers. I will have a good read of your comments Andy, and update you on how I am going to advise her to proceed. Thanks Again
  • Our picks

Torshen

Costco CCTV system plus pro install issues

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice on my options. 

I bought a six-camera CCTV system from Costco online (I am a member but they only had the model I wanted online) back in January for £799. Then a month later on February I bought a professional installation package again from Costco but fulfilled (IE subcontracted) to a company called TSG for a further £399.

Both transactions paid for on a credit card, Visa (Barclaycard) to be exact. 

The system was set up and installed perfectly and everything was working well until a couple of weeks ago when one of the cameras stopped working. I checked the cable and tried it in different ports on the recorder unit but no joy so it’s likely to be either the cable or the camera. Thankfully out of the six cameras it’s the least important one in terms of the portion of my property it’s covering, but that’s not the point obviously. 

Called TSG to see if I could get someone back to investigate and they were very helpful but said I needed to raise it via Costco first, and then they’d be happy to send someone over once instructed by Costco. 

Have been through three calls and one email so far with Costco and will spare you the long version but basically they’re saying they can’t fix or replace and the only option is to return the whole system for a full refund. 

I’m aware they’re allowed to do this, that’s not my question, what I’d like to know relates to the installation. I can’t really de-install the system myself, that’s why I paid for professional installation. Am waiting to hear back about what Costco suggest with regards to that but what are my rights with that piece? The whole thing seems ridiculous for what is probably a damaged RJ45 / Ethernet cable which. TSG engineer will have as standard on his van and could probably run afresh in 25 mins.

shame you paid fr the installation later as you would get that money back automatically as well.

have you spoken to the installation people and let them kmow that you are minded to do a chargeback under S75 of the CCA and no doubt that costco will be making a play to recover their losses from them? They might well have a spare camera and cable they can test in situ and then report back to Costco

Your contract was with costco so make them well aware you are going to recover all of your costs and if that includes paying soemone to take it all down then that will be part fo the bill.

I'm sure that someone higher up will make an executive decision to give you a partial refund ( cost of kit) and let you keep it as is. You need to find out who that person is who can make the decision, the CS people cant