Disabled persons Freedom pass in oyster 94 times - Byelaw 17(1) TFL (Freedom Pass) court summons

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1772 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Although I have seen some similar threads on here I thought ill create a new one as I seek advice tailored to this scenario so please do hear me out..

I have received a letter to attend a Magistrates' Court for the following charge: 

"That you on [Date] at [Location] did enter a compulsory ticket area without having with you a valid ticket. Contrary to Byelaw 17(1) of the Transport for London Railway Byelaws Made under paragraph 26 of Schedule 11 to the Greater London Authority Act 1999 and confirmed under section 67 of the Transport Act 1962."

"On [Date] Mr [Myname] attempted to travel from [Location] station to [Another location] station. At [Time] he entered through the way in barriers using a pass which activated the gateline monitors. When initially approached he produced a bank card that had not been used. He later produced a Disabled persons Freedom pass in oystercard format that did not belong to him. He was not entitled to the use of the pass and it was invalid for travel. He was unable to produce any other ticket for his journey. Further investigation into usage of the pass was identified a further 94 journeys he was suspected of making using the pas, avoiding fares of £341.80p"

"An application will be made in court for a £388 contribution towards the cost of Transport of London. Further costs may be incurred if additional documentation is required or if the matter is not resolved at the earliest opportunity.

Also the letter consists of all the 94 transactions I have made using the freedom pass with exact dates along side it.

There is also a witness statement (The undercover Revenue Control Inspector which I got caught by). Which quotes the conversation he had with me on the day caught. 

----------------------------------------------------------

I am completely new to all of this, I have never committed any kind of crime before this in my life. I totally understand I am in the wrong here and should of been aware of the consequences before using the freedom pass that did not belong to me... 

I am a University Student currently on my Placement (Working in industry as intern), I will be going into my final year this September and will be having to apply for graduate jobs throughout this year as my university will be coming to an end. in around a year from now. 

Knowing that a criminal record can make a huge impact in getting a job, I am super worried about getting one and want to know if there is anyway around getting a record (alternatives etc).     

Which brings me to 3 main questions..

1) Is there a way to settle out of court in this case? If so, what is the best way and how should I do so? 

2) Will I get a Criminal Record? (Is there anyway I can avoid this)

3) If I do get a Criminal record, how long will it be recorded for? 

Please any advice or knowledge on this will be much appreciated.

Will respond to any questions if necessary. 

Thanks for taking time to read this.

• dx100uk changed the title to Disabled persons Freedom pass in oyster 94 times - Byelaw 17(1) TFL (Freedom Pass)

worthy of a careful read

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

so both about the same

do it right and you might both get a good result

just dont go over thinking things at this stage

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

59 minutes ago, johnjordan said:

I can't answer 1 & 2 but I can tell you that a criminal record is kept on the Police PNC for life. This includes all cautions and warnings.

Gross oversimplification, since although (if a record goes onto PNC, it stays there for life), it may not go onto PNC in the first place, and even if it does, it may become 'spent' or 'filtered" for the purpose of employment checks.....

A) Not all offences are "recordable", so some summary offences aren't recorded on PNC, but may be hold on "local records" only. Local records MIGHT show on an eDBS, but not a basic check.

B) Are you talking only about the PNC, or about DBS / employer checks?.

Even if a recordable offence, The Rehabilitation of Offenders (RofO) Legislation applies. Records become "spent" for employment purposes unless an exemption to RofO applies (like a post that attracts an enhanced DBS / e-DBS, or an overseas matter like a Visa application where I wouldn't advise relying on RofO).

Take a look at

regarding recordable vs non recordable, and

http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/filtering-cautions-convictions/

regarding 'filtering'

On 19/05/2019 at 19:42, dx100uk said:

worthy of a careful read

Thanks for the help! 

I am planning on writing up a letter to send to tfl to try and settle out of court (as it seems to be the only way to avoid getting a record) Should I send an email or letter to them and if so is there a specific address I should send to? 

I am worried I send the letter to a wrong department and it doesn't get considered/read at all. 

Thanks

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 20:04, dx100uk said:

so both about the same

do it right and you might both get a good result

just dont go over thinking things at this stage

When you say "do it right" could you elaborate on what you mean? Is this regarding the letter to tfl to settle out of court? 

yes do it right with the letter and its wording

look at post 3 in that link and its attachment 

that's the address

• Thanks 1

and they

Thanks for the quick response, 

Just slightly confused. The attachment you mention I never received however I did receive a large letter with all the court information asking me to fill in all the relevant information to send off (as shown attached). 

I'm guessing these are different and I should still send my letter to "SE1 8NJ" rather than the court letter I currently have "SW111JU" 

Thanks for your time 

Screenshot_20190521-230832_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Khali007

the begging letter does not go to the court

and they

Just thought to double check as I never got that letter you mentioned. I'm guessing letter is better than email but should I do both? (or does that make it confusing) 

Just want to absolutely make sure it does get in their hands. 

you don't always get a letter I believe in some type of cases.

• Thanks 1

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to Disabled persons Freedom pass in oyster 94 times - Byelaw 17(1) TFL (Freedom Pass) court summons

As my current work place also requires me to have a clean background I contacted my companys HR to send me a letter which proves that.

So that I can include it with my email to tfl that a record will lead to me loosing my job.

HR said they will look into this and see if they can provide such letter. So awaiting that right now 

explaining your reason for using the card 94 times should be your very 1st paragraph.

specifically the one time you were caught..the rest is as they say being viewed as TIC.

what harm a criminal record will cause you is second.

and they

Hi. A couple of small point for you to consider.

Rather than say your mother is unemployed, you could say she's unable to work because she's caring for your father. And rather than saying you're happy to pay unpaid fares, etc., I would ask if they will allow you to do that.

It would read better if you split the paragraphs up a bit more, blocks of text are off-putting to a lot of people.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I don't have a good excuse for using it so many times other than it was poor judgement on my behalf and it was completely a stupid mistake. Should I say this or just leave it out?

financial reasons or not?

truth now please

you knew it was illegal and fraud?

and they

I have called tfl and asked for a address where I can send a letter to by post and they gave me one for "appeal purposes". Do you guys think I should send the letter via post then maybe 2 days after send the same one via email? 

Or should I just do one. If so which one?