TFL Oyster 18+ Student Card - multiple uses over 3mts - Caught **SETTLED OOC**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

First of all thank you for reading my post. I am terribly stressed at what happened recently and am on the brink of a meltdown.

I am employed in a high profile role, with a professional qualification that has taken me many years to achieve. My spouse is unemployed, and has a student TFL Oyster card. I used their card to travel as I felt that having paid for it fully and being their spouse I could use it. 

I was stopped yesterday early morning by a TFL Revenue Inspector at Oxford Circus.

I told a series of lies as I was extremely stressed (including saying my spouse has put the card in my wallet and they work around the area-the spouse does not work), and was also running really late for a meeting.

The inspector noted down my details and displayed the caution (prior to asking actual questions).

I mentioned that I would like to answer the questions however I am running late for my meeting, which was true.

I also mentioned to the inspector that I was really stressed and I have not faced such a situation in my life before and that my career will be over if I receive a criminal conviction.

He mentioned that I will receive a court summons and that I should be honest in any response I provide.

He also mentioned that in very rare circumstances an out of court settlement may be considered in light of career impact.

I then thanked him for his advice and left.

I have been on my nerve's end since this encounter and the implications of a criminal conviction is unbearable to think about.

I will lose my job and my professional qualifications for sure.

As the sole earner in my household with no other sources of financial support, we will be destitute if I lose my job.

However, I am aware that I lied and any investigation will clearly show that.

I am hence very agitated that this will go against me.

Any advice will be most appreciated. 

Thank you.

welcome aboard

you've found the right forum here

so know where to go and read a few like topics

that will be the very best way to get yourself upto speed 

and see that, its no something you need to really worry about if you approach this in the correct manner

and respond in the correct manner

the first thing you need to do is READ HERE the more you read the stronger we become.

await the letter they will send you

then scan it up to PDF and post it here when is comes

read UPLOAD

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Good Evening dx,

I have received the attached letter from TFL. I am hoping to respond with the below:

"Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your letter. 

I accept the offence and would like to take this opportunity to apologise profusely for my actions in this occasion. I have pride in my integrity and honesty and I feel extremely ashamed of my very poor judgement. As the sole income earner for my family, where my spouse has been unemployed for several years due to their ongoing mental and physical health issues, a criminal record on my part would push us towards financial destitution as my employment relies upon a clean criminal record. We have no other family in the UK apart from each other, and my spouse is wholly reliant on me for their financial wellbeing. I will not be able to secure suitable employment in the future with a criminal record.

Moreover, my right of abode in the UK also relies on a clean criminal record. A criminal conviction will end my right to stay in the UK and I will have to leave my spouse, a prospect that is unbearable to contemplate for me.

A criminal conviction will also prevent me from travelling to Canada, where my only sibling resides and I visit them frequently. 

I am a keen volunteer where I participate in local community events and have recently signed up to mentor youth in my local area. A criminal conviction will not allow me to start this activity that I was hoping to engage in to give back to the society I live in.

I have no previous convictions and have lived as a productive member of society in the UK so far. 

A criminal conviction will have devastating consequences for my family life, financial circumstances, current career, reputation, and future career prospects as well.

I have had a particularly stressful week at the time this event occurred. I was very sleep deprived on the day as I had to show up to work extremely early in the morning (7:50am). When stopped by the revenue inspector, in my complete stupidity and panic I realised I was carrying my spouse's Oyster card. 

I made a very bad choice that has kept me awake and tearful for the last two days. I deeply regret this event and I am shameful for what I have done. 

I would be grateful for the opportunity to make immediate payment of any incurred costs and necessary recompense for the financial aspects that my actions have caused. I have already purchased an annual travel card so as to ensure I will not make a mistake like this again.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my letter and I sincerely hope to rely on your leniency in this matter."

I have tried my best to portray my thoughts in the above but any feedback/comments will be much appreciated.

TFL Letter_Redacted.pdf

just to clarify this was an honest mistake and a total one off, you have never used the card before?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

how many times in this 'chain' please

in other words 

if they were to look at the history [which they can]

would they see a daily pattern of use to/from work that they could also pin on YOU>

and they

yes they would see a regular pattern to/from work that they could pin on me.

in my defence, I can say that as my spouse is unemployed, we are extremely financially strained however I have already purchased an annual travel card so as not to repeat this offence.

opps so how many days have you been using it for?

dx

and they

comfortable?

you came here for help did you not?

there are topics here with hundreds of uses and we are anon anyway

yes its very relevant as effectively you are lying in your begging letter above.

on the day of you getting caught using it you were sleep deprived, so what about every other day for the previous days/weeks/months you used it?

see doesn't cut the mustard that excuse does it?

and they

It fits perfectly : they were so sleep deprived they forgot all the other times they’d used it!.

What I’m not sure about is at what point ([for someone who clearly has been offending repeatedly!] having heard all the reasons for non-prosecution: loss of job, sole income for family, UK residence visa status, effect on visa for USA or Canada or [wherever]), the letter crosses from

”hey, that’s a reason not to prosecute” into “hey, with so many reasons why they shouldn’t risk fare dodging, yet they chose to anyway, why do they think they deserve more leniency” ?

Don't over-egg the pudding.

Edited by BazzaS

Hi.

I think your letter repeats itself a bit over the effect on your life, you don't want it to be too long. And I might leave out the part about frequent trips to Canada - if you can afford that, you should be able to pay your fares.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you dx100 and BazzaS for your constructive criticisms. I would request you both to not to jump to any conclusions about my actions. 

Honeybee- thank you, I will bear that in mind. 

so what position are we batting from please?

we cant advise the best way to word the letter without knowing the truth .

there have been cases whereby multiple use even in the 100's has resulted in an OCC before or on the day

what you need to be wary of is, as with another case recently, the statement for the court from TfL stated a number of uses, and the pleading letter simply referred to 'one', the time they got caught, and now they are up the creek because they didn't come clean at the start.

dx

and they

full circle again

how many days / times did you use the card..simple question - simple answer, stop playing secret squirrel ..its not helping us to help you.

and they

thank you

so that roughly equates to about 70 uses 

there was a guy the other month that got OOC on 87 uses so all hope is not lost.

it this bit that needs work.

I have had a particularly stressful week at the time this event occurred. I was very sleep deprived on the day as I had to show up to work extremely early in the morning (7:50am). When stopped by the revenue inspector, in my complete stupidity and panic I realised I was carrying my spouse's Oyster card

I would also make whatever you write above the first thing you say after the short apology etc

grovel deeper after this but what you have in the rest of the letter needs to be shortened p'haps by not repeating the same things

have a go. we'll help .

and they

thank you dx.

The other question I had was:

Should I

a) Respond to the email address mentioned on the letter instead of posting my response

b) Get a solicitor to write it on my behalf and post it on their letter headed paper

c) Post the letter on my own 

no

no

what do you mean..on your own?

and they

Thank you honeybee and dx100uk.

When I said post the letter on my own I meant to send it with supporting evidence and the letter via Royal Mail.

Also, how would I go about proving that I lose my job if I get a criminal conviction? HR won't give me a letter to say so and I am reluctant to share internal guidances.

Also, how would I address the multiple offences issue in my letter?

5 minutes ago, act0145 said:

Also, how would I address the multiple offences issue in my letter?

We don't recommend lying to them, but on the other hand you don't need to tell them anything they don't already know, if that helps.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

When stopped by the revenue inspector, in my complete stupidity and panic I realised I was carrying my spouse's Oyster card

the last bit you should not say

so simply end that with ...

and I panicked.

and they