• Tweets

• If the OP follows king’s advice and then the neighbour’s roof leaks, who do you think the neighbour will blame? a) the dodgy “roofers” (who will be long gone), b) the OP for “damaging a perfectly good repair” (even if they don’t damage it, and it wasn’t a good repair!), or c) someone else   King may be technically correct, but the OP following their advice isn’t likely to end well if the neighbour is already ‘difficult’. 
    • I sent a SAR. which also provided a copy of proof of ID, last month to Northumbrian Water, and received no reply whatsoever.   After the 30 day deadline passed i sent off a complaint form to the ICO and sent a letter of claim to NW for breach of statutory duty. (As up until today they had failed to respond in any way to the request that was made)   Today i received a reply saying the my ID wasn't in the standard format and they could not accept it,   (The exact same copy of ID has not been an issue before and the exact same image was accepted perfectly fine by a previous energy company i SAR'd), and that they required i give them 2 forms of I.D, 1 from list A and from List B Along with questioning the alternative address like i mentioned above.   I wanted the request to be sent to the alternate address, as i work full time and i'm not always at my home address, i'd most likely not be in at a time when it can be delivered and can't get to the delivery office easily enough before it would be returned back undelivered. (Which i wanted to avoid happening again as this happened to the last SAR i made.) The address is my partner's address, where i regularly go and who also works from home and wouldn't have issues receiving/collecting mail.
    • yes they are entitled to query...GDPR applies   full story please don't play secret squirrel        
    • Hi,   I received a reply from a SAR I sent today (This was only after I sent a Letter of Claim as the company failed to reply or acknowledge the SAR in any way, though that deserves its own thread)    In the SAR I asked for my request to be sent to an alternate address, In the response they asked for clarification as to why I requested this.    Provided that the company has been given enough proof and information to verify my identity would I need to provide this reason for them to process my request? 
    • Following a six month battle with a supplier concerning the purchase of a faulty item which resulted in the submission of a case to money claims on-line & mediation, an agreed settlement was reached & part of the settlement involved me having to arrange, return & pay the necessary charges to return the faulty item to the supplier/manufacturer. On receipt of the item they would within seven days refund the agreed settlement figure together with the costs of the postal/courier fees.     A contract was taken out with Parcel Force on line, 24 hour express delivery according to the information that is given when entering into this contract, the customer will receive up to date tracking of their parcel together with a message alert when the parcel reaches its destination.   Parcel was picked up as promised   when checking the tracking some 24 hours later the parcel had still not been delivered nor had the tracking.   A number of telephone calls were made to Parcel Force where I was told that my Parcel was at the National Hub but had been delayed due to a malfunction & could I check back later that evening.     Following morning I checked the tracking & it still read the same.   Following several telephone calls I have been informed that they are unable to confirm whether the parcel has been lost,   the exact location of the parcel & whether it will be delivered.     I submitted a claim on line to Parcel Force on the morning of 19th June & to my astonishment when checking the status of the claim a number of hours later have discovered that they have closed my claim.     Status says rejected - claim passed to online team.     Due to the situation of this parcel having to reach its destination as soon as possible I want to pursue this matter via a money claim online process.   I would also like to add that I did not take out an insurance with Parcel Force as I naturally & genuinely assumed that they would fulfil their contract & deliver the parcel as promised.     I feel that I am being given the runaround every time I speak to them   am very keen to commence action against them as soon as possible.     Any advice would be gratefully received & sorry for the long winded post.  
  • Our picks

• My personal experiences of Future Comms 

Don't touch them owe me £500 since January 2019 make excuse after excuse. Seem they always have software problems sending money out. Keep saying they will call back or email nothing been chasing it now for 6 mths the phone staff always have the same banter we will chase it up and get back to you then nothing!
      • 0 replies
    • Future Comms is a Big Con. How to get out of it. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/417058-future-comms-is-a-big-con-how-to-get-out-of-it/
      • 4 replies
    • Future Comms issues. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/416504-future-comms-issues/
      • 5 replies
    • This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.

THIS IS HOW THE PHONECALL WENT 

I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
act0145

TFL Oyster 18+ Student Card- Caught By Revenue Inspector

Hi All,

First of all thank you for reading my post. I am terribly stressed at what happened recently and am on the brink of a meltdown.

I am employed in a high profile role, with a professional qualification that has taken me many years to achieve. My spouse is unemployed, and has a student TFL Oyster card. I used their card to travel as I felt that having paid for it fully and being their spouse I could use it. 

I was stopped yesterday early morning by a TFL Revenue Inspector at Oxford Circus.

I told a series of lies as I was extremely stressed (including saying my spouse has put the card in my wallet and they work around the area-the spouse does not work), and was also running really late for a meeting.

The inspector noted down my details and displayed the caution (prior to asking actual questions).

I mentioned that I would like to answer the questions however I am running late for my meeting, which was true.

I also mentioned to the inspector that I was really stressed and I have not faced such a situation in my life before and that my career will be over if I receive a criminal conviction.

He mentioned that I will receive a court summons and that I should be honest in any response I provide.

He also mentioned that in very rare circumstances an out of court settlement may be considered in light of career impact.

I then thanked him for his advice and left.

I have been on my nerve's end since this encounter and the implications of a criminal conviction is unbearable to think about.

I will lose my job and my professional qualifications for sure.

As the sole earner in my household with no other sources of financial support, we will be destitute if I lose my job.

However, I am aware that I lied and any investigation will clearly show that.

I am hence very agitated that this will go against me.

Any advice will be most appreciated. 

Thank you.

welcome aboard

you've found the right forum here

so know where to go and read a few like topics

that will be the very best way to get yourself upto speed 

and see that, its no something you need to really worry about if you approach this in the correct manner

and respond in the correct manner

the first thing you need to do is READ HERE the more you read the stronger we become.

await the letter they will send you

then scan it up to PDF and post it here when is comes

read UPLOAD

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

Good Evening dx,

I have received the attached letter from TFL. I am hoping to respond with the below:

"Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your letter. 

I accept the offence and would like to take this opportunity to apologise profusely for my actions in this occasion. I have pride in my integrity and honesty and I feel extremely ashamed of my very poor judgement. As the sole income earner for my family, where my spouse has been unemployed for several years due to their ongoing mental and physical health issues, a criminal record on my part would push us towards financial destitution as my employment relies upon a clean criminal record. We have no other family in the UK apart from each other, and my spouse is wholly reliant on me for their financial wellbeing. I will not be able to secure suitable employment in the future with a criminal record.

Moreover, my right of abode in the UK also relies on a clean criminal record. A criminal conviction will end my right to stay in the UK and I will have to leave my spouse, a prospect that is unbearable to contemplate for me.

A criminal conviction will also prevent me from travelling to Canada, where my only sibling resides and I visit them frequently. 

I am a keen volunteer where I participate in local community events and have recently signed up to mentor youth in my local area. A criminal conviction will not allow me to start this activity that I was hoping to engage in to give back to the society I live in.

I have no previous convictions and have lived as a productive member of society in the UK so far. 

A criminal conviction will have devastating consequences for my family life, financial circumstances, current career, reputation, and future career prospects as well.

I have had a particularly stressful week at the time this event occurred. I was very sleep deprived on the day as I had to show up to work extremely early in the morning (7:50am). When stopped by the revenue inspector, in my complete stupidity and panic I realised I was carrying my spouse's Oyster card. 

I made a very bad choice that has kept me awake and tearful for the last two days. I deeply regret this event and I am shameful for what I have done. 

I would be grateful for the opportunity to make immediate payment of any incurred costs and necessary recompense for the financial aspects that my actions have caused. I have already purchased an annual travel card so as to ensure I will not make a mistake like this again.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my letter and I sincerely hope to rely on your leniency in this matter."

I have tried my best to portray my thoughts in the above but any feedback/comments will be much appreciated.

TFL Letter_Redacted.pdf

just to clarify this was an honest mistake and a total one off, you have never used the card before?

dx

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

hi dx,

I have used the card before ☹️

how many times in this 'chain' please

in other words 

if they were to look at the history [which they can]

would they see a daily pattern of use to/from work that they could also pin on YOU>

yes they would see a regular pattern to/from work that they could pin on me.

in my defence, I can say that as my spouse is unemployed, we are extremely financially strained however I have already purchased an annual travel card so as not to repeat this offence.

opps so how many days have you been using it for?

dx

not sure I am comfortable answering that.... may I know why you enquire?

comfortable?

you came here for help did you not?

there are topics here with hundreds of uses and we are anon anyway

yes its very relevant as effectively you are lying in your begging letter above.

on the day of you getting caught using it you were sleep deprived, so what about every other day for the previous days/weeks/months you used it?

see doesn't cut the mustard that excuse does it?

Posted (edited)

It fits perfectly : they were so sleep deprived they forgot all the other times they’d used it!.

What I’m not sure about is at what point ([for someone who clearly has been offending repeatedly!] having heard all the reasons for non-prosecution: loss of job, sole income for family, UK residence visa status, effect on visa for USA or Canada or [wherever]), the letter crosses from

”hey, that’s a reason not to prosecute” into “hey, with so many reasons why they shouldn’t risk fare dodging, yet they chose to anyway, why do they think they deserve more leniency” ?

Don't over-egg the pudding.

Edited by BazzaS

Hi.

I think your letter repeats itself a bit over the effect on your life, you don't want it to be too long. And I might leave out the part about frequent trips to Canada - if you can afford that, you should be able to pay your fares.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you dx100 and BazzaS for your constructive criticisms. I would request you both to not to jump to any conclusions about my actions. 

Honeybee- thank you, I will bear that in mind. 

so what position are we batting from please?

we cant advise the best way to word the letter without knowing the truth .

there have been cases whereby multiple use even in the 100's has resulted in an OCC before or on the day

what you need to be wary of is, as with another case recently, the statement for the court from TfL stated a number of uses, and the pleading letter simply referred to 'one', the time they got caught, and now they are up the creek because they didn't come clean at the start.

dx

Thanks dx,

In a multiple usage context, your advice as to how to word the letter to reflect that will be sincerely appreciated.

We normally suggest that you have a read around our transport forum for similar cases or do a custom search for defences. Then post up what you're thinking of sending and we'll help you to refine it.

HB

full circle again

how many days / times did you use the card..simple question - simple answer, stop playing secret squirrel ..its not helping us to help you.

hi dx,

I have been using it for the last 3 months on working days. so yes there will be a regular pattern.

thank you

so that roughly equates to about 70 uses 

there was a guy the other month that got OOC on 87 uses so all hope is not lost.

it this bit that needs work.

I have had a particularly stressful week at the time this event occurred. I was very sleep deprived on the day as I had to show up to work extremely early in the morning (7:50am). When stopped by the revenue inspector, in my complete stupidity and panic I realised I was carrying my spouse's Oyster card

I would also make whatever you write above the first thing you say after the short apolgy etc

grovel deeper after this but what you have in the rest of the letter needs to be shortened p'haps by not repeating the same things

have a go. we'll help .

thank you dx.

The other question I had was:

Should I

a) Respond to the email address mentioned on the letter instead of posting my response

b) Get a solicitor to write it on my behalf and post it on their letter headed paper

c) Post the letter on my own 

You don't need a lawyer. 

HB

no

no

what do you mean..on your own?

Thank you honeybee and dx100uk.

When I said post the letter on my own I meant to send it with supporting evidence and the letter via Royal Mail.

Also, how would I go about proving that I lose my job if I get a criminal conviction? HR won't give me a letter to say so and I am reluctant to share internal guidances.

Also, how would I address the multiple offences issue in my letter?

5 minutes ago, act0145 said:

Also, how would I address the multiple offences issue in my letter?

We don't recommend lying to them, but on the other hand you don't need to tell them anything they don't already know, if that helps.

HB

When stopped by the revenue inspector, in my complete stupidity and panic I realised I was carrying my spouse's Oyster card

the last bit you should not say

so simply end that with ...

and I panicked.