Backdoor 2016 Ridgewood Estates Ltd/MW Solicitors - Rent Arrears - N5 Claim for Possession + Money Judgement - now HCEO warrant

Staara77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 568 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

Today I receive a letter from barbon insurance group asking me to pay them £5919 for an overdue balance for a place I stayed at for about 2 months.

This on behalf of Homelet

I rented for around 1-2 months and then had to leave, this was due to the flatmate I lived with harassed me.

I lived there I think around 3 years ago.

I contacted the agency that rented out the flat, and told them that I didn't feel safe living there.

I sent them copies of the text messages the flatmate sent me,

they were threatening,

and told me that he could harass me if he wanted to.

The agency seemed fine with this,

they also discovered themselves that the flatmate was not a nice person. 

According to them:

'Homelet provided rental protection to the landlord/agent (for the address I lived at) and subsequently paid out an insurance claim, due to your non payment of rent. Under the rights of subrogation we are able to pursue you to recover this outstanding amount'

'You must now make contact with us as a matter of urgency. Failure to do so may result in increased costs being applied to your debt'

Not once did the agency ever say, or send me letters telling me that I owed them £5919, the only thing they did was to deduct my deposit-which of course I was fine with.

I see it as a really threatening letter and am fuming about this

No warning, and then a nasty letter-forcing me to comply?

I can't help but feel that there is something very fishy going on here.

Has anybody heard of them? 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• dx100uk changed the title to Homelet/Barbon Ins Grp demanding £6k for Landlord Ins Bill??

moved to residential forum

swear words removed

title updated to better reflect issue.

not a lot they can do to you I bet unless you signed some stupid clause with the Landlord.

its just hot air.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

1. What type of Tenancy Agreement did you have?

2. How long was the Agreement for?

3. Did you give them proper notice to quit as per your tenancy agreement?

4. Did the Estate Agency agree to you moving out and mention any costs? (do you have this in writing)

5. Was a Check Out done when you moved from the property? (do you have a copy of this in writing)

6. When you moved from the Property was the Estate Agency aware of your new address?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks for your replies folks,

dx100uk, I'm sorry for using swear words, I didn't intend to offend anybody.

stu007 the problem is that when I told them about the harrassing flatmate, they appeared to understand, they didn't say anything about it.

The problem is that I have no documents as stupidly I got rid of them-as I thought they were fine with what I had told them.

I've just got an e-mail from them, now it's gone up to £7058:

OUR CUSTOMER: Ridgewood Estates Limited

RE: Miss X

Ground Floor Flat, Lansdowne Place,

OUTSTANDING BALANCE: £7,058.66

We are writing in reference to your overdue balance but regret to note that the above amount remains outstanding. We will now take action to recover this debt through any means at our disposal.

HomeLet provided rental protection to the Landlord/Agent for the above mentioned address and subsequently paid out an insurance claim due to your non-payment of rent. Under the rights of subrogation we are able to pursue you to recover this outstanding amount.

You must now make contact with us as a matter of urgency. Failure to do so may result in increased costs being applied to your debt. Mutually acceptable instalment plans can be implemented to avoid further action against you.

Should you be experiencing financial difficulties, it is important that you contact us urgently or seek advice with your local Citizens Advice Bureau should you require assistance with any information contained within this letter.

If for any reason you dispute the claim being made against you please provide us with details so that we may investigate this matter further. Our trained handlers are available Monday – Friday 9am – 5.30pm to discuss your account.

Failure to address this issue may result in us instructing field agents to attend your property in an attempt to establish contact and/or further enforcement action. Making contact early in the stage of the recoveries process may reduce the amount you have to pay in the long term.

Yours sincerely,

Zoe Wales

Recoveries Handler

Barbon Insurance Group Limited

Contact number: 0330 333 7063

1. What type of Tenancy Agreement did you have?

If I can remember it was a joint tenancy and I was not the lead tenant, I'm sure the flatmate was. 

2. How long was the Agreement for?

6 months for the both of us.

3. Did you give them proper notice to quit as per your tenancy agreement?

I told them of why I couldn't live there, they seemed fine, as I then heard back from them telling me that the flatmate had caused them a lot of problems, and that neighbours had complained about him playing loud music at night, being noisy and arguing etc. 

4. Did the Estate Agency agree to you moving out and mention any costs? (do you have this in writing)

No nothing was mentioned-as far as I can remember. But I would be looking out for this anyway-as I was expecting them to tell me something-but nothing.

5. Was a Check Out done when you moved from the property? (do you have a copy of this in writing)

I'm afraid I cannot remember

6. When you moved from the Property was the Estate Agency aware of your new address?

I really cannot remember, however, they've managed to track down where I am living now (I've lived in several different places, since I moved out of that flat)

You see this is why it's strange, as I was expecting them to tell me something about owing them money, but I got nothing, then suddenly Barbon decide to contact me out of the blue-demanding money out of me.

As I said before I got rid of any information from them, as when I told them I'll be moving out, they seemed to be fine with it.

I would SAR them, under GDPR rules.

They will have to disclose, everything they have on you, all documents, emails etc.  They have 40 days to comply with this, if not you can report them to the ICO.  

You can then understand exactly what they are (trying) to charge you for, and if you signed any agreements etc.  In my experience a GDPR request strikes fear into small businesses, because nobody has ever asked them to comply before. (source I had a letting agent try a similar thing on me)

Personally I don't think there is very much they can do to you, and are just trying it on.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

30 days

but I wouldn't bother.

they are totally powerless

they cant 'enforce' anything. they are NOT BAILIFFS!!

block and bounce their email from now on

go enjoy your life.

they are trying to fleece you blind.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

True, but if they ever did try it on with a CCJ, wouldn’t it be good  for the OP to have all of what they claim to be charging for though. He’s lost all the original documents , signatures etc

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks folks,

I've written to Barbor or Barbon requesting a SAR, asking them for relevant details, and have told them that they have 1 month to get back to me.

So I'll wait and see what happens now.

Thanks again for helping me out here :):):)

Hi

You DO Not have to ask them for specific information in a SAR just ask them for 'ALL DATA

That little phrase covers everything no matter what format it may be held in by the respective company/business/charity/council/housing association etc. 

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

With Insurers it is just a numbers game. Of course they will try to recover the amount of claim, that they paid out orginally. But if they don't, then it is mostly a case of increasing premiums. 

Insurance companies to my knowledge rarely go to court to obtain CCJ's in situations like this. See what data they send you and then just keep an eye of post sent to you. You will receive many letters with different wordings asking for payment, but unless they say they will issue a court claim, then safe to ignore

• 2 years later...

Hello all,

I got a letter from Wilson & Roe and their Notice of Enforcement.

This is a high court enforcement.

It involves rent owed to former Agency and I have sent them e-mails about this-thanks to the lovely people on this forum and their advice on what to write to them, how to word it etc.

It's the same Ridgewood Estates as has been before. 

They have never replied back to any of my e-mails I've sent.

So now we've got this high court enforcement.

I owe them £9421.96.

I've got until 23rd March to either pay the entire amount, or set up a payment option.

Can I please have some advice on this.

Thank you.

i think you mean your old thread from 2019 regarding the homelets sage?

i've merged that above 

if its not correct nor related to do so let me know and ill unmerg it.

so someone got a a CCJ against you ...and you ignored it, or you knew nothing about the CCJ till recently?

dx

and they

Hello dx100uk,

It is about the previous information above.

I followed the advice given to me previously, regarding requesting a SAR, and gave them a month to get back, yet heard nothing at all from them.

But I did get similar letters from Barbon/Bardon-with no mention of a CCJ.

Then it's this month (Mar 2022) that I get sent a letter with Wilson & Roe, High Court Enforcement, and asked to sort out payment by 23rd March 2022.

I wasn't sent any CCJ before, then I got the letter sent by Wilson & Roe with their High Court Enforcement.

have you checked your credit file?

HCEO's don't get involved unless a CCJ has been attained and judgement passed.

unless they are simply acting as debt collector which i doubt as you say they have sent a notice of enforcement, which means one must exist.

dx

and they

are all your old addresses showing. in linked addresses?

and they

Hello dx100uk,

I cannot find my addresses on the credit checker if that it what you mean, but I have been sent letters from Barbon before the other addresses I've lived at. 

I've thought about it and it just seems weird that it was two of us, me and a flatmate who moved into the flat. 

We both signed the contract, if I can remember it was a joint tenancy.

The contract was for 6 months and I have to pay it all?

I've been trying to find out how much the both of us owed-and I've been given no information, despite following the advice form these forums.

Is there anyway I can ask this High Court to break down all that is owed?

can you scan to PDF the HCEO notice of enforcement and any other letters please.

one mass PDF read our upload guide carefully. do any quote the CCJ number? it will be alpha-numeric code about 8 chars

there must be a CCJ judgement.

your old addresses should be linked to your credit file near the end of the report.

dx

and they

clearly says CCJ brighton county court. attained in 2016!

so they've let it run till almost 6 yrs to gain maximum interest out of you ....crafty.

why not ring brighton court ask for a copy of the judgement CCJ and the particulars of claim and the address it was filed too.

dx

and they

so they've let it run till almost 6 yrs to gain maximum interest out of you ....crafty.

Date of judgment 14th Nov 2016 ...there cant be any further interest added after 14th /11 2016...interest is applied at and up to the date of judgment pursuant to sec 69 County Courts Act 1984. (unless the particulars state otherwise)

Check the original judgment for the totals and that the interest stated in the NOE is correct ( £2777.40) it appears to be rather a lot if interest for 8% if applied to the debt amount.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Okay so I try to ring Brighton County Court on the number on the website, an automated voice gives me an alternative number to call.

As soon as I call the new number, it says SCAM on my phone.

I've typed in the number and a number of websites claim it is a SCAM number.

Anyhow I ring the number and I get a recorded message:

'Thank you for calling HMEEF/HMBEF'

I've called the number a number of times and still cannot tell if it's hmeef/hmbef. It's an southern English accent!

They give a web address with the hmeef/hmbef/hmdef and I've tried to look it up and it says 'there aren't many great matches for your search'.

hmcef is based in Devon and seems to be concerned with highway maintenance.

4 hours ago, mantis shrimp said:

Andrew: Interest on judgement debts:

Yes I have just noticed the judgment debt is not subject to regulation by the CCA1974.....

• Confused 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

i will have a guess that this judgement was one by default

so might well of been done through northants bulk

but later transferred to brighton to get enforcement involved via HCEO's 

courts all close at 4pm anyway

so no harm in ringing northants bulk on monday

not alot you can do till then and you get the POC, address served too, and a copy of the CCJ.

though as its that old they might have anything RECORD the call. 

dx

and they