style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1778 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I’m so embarrassed and ashamed of myself. A few days ago I added a clearance label to an item to get a discount, paid for the item and left. Nothing happened in store, cashier didn’t even bat an eyelid. I’m now terrified of any recourse if they find out. Can I get caught and prosecuted after the event? I have visions of police turning up at my door, or my face appearing in the local paper. 

Please help, I can’t stop googling like mad 😔 this is so out of character for me, I don’t even know why I did it! 

Firstly, on the basis of what you say – nothing will happen because no one knows about it.

However, it's very nice of you to feel so embarrassed and ashamed – and it means that it really is out of character, as you say.

Why don't you simply return the item – maybe with an anonymous note of apology. Learn your lesson and try to understand why you did it and avoid doing it again.

I think that understanding why you did is probably a very important step

I agree with Bankfodder that it's important you understand why you did this so that you don't end up in the same situation again. In your situation I would consider talking it over with your GP in case there is some underlying cause. Your GP has probably heard it all before and won't judge you.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you, I will of course look into this. It’s not something I have ever done before (I know everyone says this!). It was a perfect gift for someone but I didn’t have the cash for it so this seemed like an option at the time - of course now I realise no one needs a gift that badly! A moment of idiotic stupidity. 

• BankFodder changed the title to Shop price swap

Trying to return it may cause more problems than it cures so my suggestion is that you take it to a charity shop so some good comes of the episode.

People do strange things when stressed and believe me doctors know all about stress firsthand.