BankFodder BankFodder

VeddyCent

Landlord not willing to reimburse expenses after leak made flat unlivable

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 259 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on where I stand legally for being reimbursed for expenses me and my flatmate accumulated during a leak in a basement flat.

We were away over the weekend, when we returned the carpets in two bedrooms were soaked about 25%. It took two days to get in contact with the landlord even though we had three numbers to contact for emergencies. It took them a week to get someone out to see the flat. They couldn't figure out where the water was coming from after two weeks of investigation. During this period the carpets where not removed and where still living there, at this point the smell of damp was unbearable and all our belongings was affected by the smell.

After telling the landlords we refused to stay there we stayed at a hotel for one night then temporarily stayed in a vacant flat for a week, then moved to another flat for another week, then we stayed in a hotel for two weeks, this was paid by us. We moved back into the flat about 6 weeks after we reported the issue.

As all our belongings were still in the flat they absorbed the foul smell of damp from the carpets so we had to get all our clothes laundered because there was so much, again, we paid for this.

After we moved back into the flat we submitted all the invoices for hotels, dry cleaning and other items we felt should be reimbursed like (rent, broadband, council tax, electricity) as we were still paying for this even though we vacant from the apartment.

We stayed there until our tenancy ended in February. We were informed the landlord would reimburse us for the cost of dry cleaning as a "good will gesture" about a month ago because their insurer wouldn't cover it. We just received an email saying their insurer would only cover the cost of the rent and a good will gesture from the landlord, which only just covers the cost of the hotel (£2000). The landlord will no longer cover the cost of the dry cleaning (£400).

They told us to claim for dry cleaning on our contents insurance even though they said they would cover the costs, plus we moved out of the flat nearly 3 months ago.

The whole time we have had to chase the landlords for updates regarding the claim and the progress of the leak, they originally wouldn't remove the wet through carpets until we demanded it, thus making the smell 100 times worse, we had to push to have mattresses and other soft furnishing because the smell was still present months after we returned to the flat.

I have been £2500 out of pocket since this happened 6 months ago and now I wont get back even though I have been told I would be reimbursed.

We feel we should be compensated and reimbursed for more.

Where do we stand?
Should we get legal advice?

Apologise if this is typed all slap dash, I'm really angry about the whole situation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

the LL has to foot the bill for your living elsewhere and reimburse you for the damage to your goods if the leak was within his control (ie not a flood from a river bursting its banks)

You still have to pay the rent though

the LL is stupid because his landlord insurance covers all of this and would have paid out if he had but bothered to claim. Now he will have to foot the bill personally.

Send a letter before action specifying what you are claiming and why and give him 14 days to respond and say that if you dont receive the payment then you will take further action without notice and that all subsequent costs will also be recovered.