Mad Nick v Abbey ***SETTLED IN FULL***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Update

He offered me a figure. I said E-mail me. It was an inadequate figure in one-line which didn't explain what it covered (eg GOGW or not). He's got a 2 pager back with a figure I'll settle at. Court on 19 April if he doesn't.
No reply from James (he read it early Thurs AM) so I've E-mailed him telling him that my Without Prejudice offer to settle at a lower figure will be withdrawn at 1700 on Tuesday. I don't want that offer still on the table if I have to turn up for the Hearing on Thursday because the figure had factored into it the benefit to me (and them) of settling out of Court. I am happy to attend, but if they force me to then we'll be talking another figure (day off work, aggravation and stress).

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably will hear from the Abbey soon with another feeble defence. Their computer obviously spits the pro forma letters out and believe me there must be many thousands. but they are not saying anything... and each claim is not being identified and deal with. to date the bank has not justified their breakdown of charges to me. But i knew they wouldn't because they cannot. I had enclosed that request letter to the courts when resubmitting my claim for them to take that request into consideration. I will let you know when re-contacted by the abbey.

Update

No reply from James (he read it early Thurs AM) so I've E-mailed him telling him that my Without Prejudice offer to settle at a lower figure will be withdrawn at 1700 on Tuesday. I don't want that offer still on the table if I have to turn up for the Hearing on Thursday because the figure had factored into it the benefit to me (and them) of settling out of Court. I am happy to attend, but if they force me to then we'll be talking another figure (day off work, aggravation and stress).

You are very patient - I am frustrated because they have not contacted me , but following your posts and others leads me to believe that it is a game of cat and mouse, and you have to keep the upper hand. Good luck , I hope they are sensible and realise the error of their ways .

I WON, I WON, I WON ! £8370.

Mind you, I have an admission to make - I decided not to risk going into Court on Thursday and risk arguing charges+16.9% (my N1). Best case (either Abbey caved in before or in Court), I could have got £9000 but worst case the Judge might have rejected my arguments and let me have just charges+8% (about £6400). Or somewhere in the middle. Who can tell. It boiled down to the solidity of the arguments about claiming 16.9% which I ended up with personal reservations about anyway - and you can't argue things like that persuasively if you've got reservations yourself (well I can't anyway).

The other risk was that I walked into an Abbey trap (like Glenn) anytime before the hearing itself (including waiting outside) where they might manage to settle the charges before Court (without me realising - and it's a real concern; Glenn and I aren't stupid, these people are professionals, don't underestimate them) leaving interest as the issue for Court. As I said, I decided not to take that risk. Swimming with sharks !

I ended up settling for charges+overdraft interest+8% plus Court fees plus preparation costs of 34hrs@£9.25/hr and 6 letters@£6.75.

It still took a bit of facing James down - he had said £6000 in two E-mails and phone calls, to which I had replied sticking around £8400. And I got home to an Email confirming they're settling. Yee-hah.

Tomorrow, ring Court, advise development, seek postponement for 14 days while I wait for the cheque and for it to clear.

MODs - c'mon, add *****SETTLED***** to the thread title. How long have I waited to say that.

Regards, Mad Nick

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

Great stuff Nick - You da man:D !!

Your right seeking the 14 day postponement - definately do wait until you have that cheque in your eager mits!

You have been really great an inspiration I hope you enjoy getting doubly your hard earned money back!

Hope you will still be about, are you going to become a moderator?

I think you should - - - All in favour?---

all the best

Maz

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Well done Mad Nick (you're obviously not mad at all - just even!!) Hope you really enjoy your money! You have been very helpful to me and to many others, you really deserve your win, All the best!!

[FONT=System][COLOR=darkorchid]29.1.07 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent to Abbey[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=darkorchid]17.2.07 - Preliminary letter sent to Abbey[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]5.3.07 - LBA sent to Abbey[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]28.3.07 - N1 filed at Worcester CC![/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]1.7.07 - AQ filed at Worcester CC[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]6.9.07 - Court Date!!![/COLOR][/FONT]

Mad Nick well done indeed - you have done a considerable amount of work to win this. I won't spoil your day of glory by ranting, but ( okay I'll pop a small rant in :p ) WHY?, why? oh why?, must the everyday person be subjected to this considerable amount of research and effort only to find Abbey have to pay out anyway? This is a disgrace to put people through this. This is a complete abuse of the court process and thereby eliminating hundreds of account holders, if not thousands who do not have the time or focus and support of this site from claiming. Something really must be done to stop the banks from this activity. They are reducing the risks of payout by making it incredibly difficult to prosecute for the layman. I have been on the forum over a year and still my mind is petrified of having to put all these arguments together in a format that won't as Mad Nick says, get you caught out. This just shouldn't be.

Sorry Nick .. now the party !! :D :D

CONGRATULATIONS!!

:D :D :D :D :D

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

I am so pleased for you , well done. Hubby just saw message in inbox and came upstairs to tell me , he is as chuffed for you as I am .

Go get yourself a drink and raise a glass to "The Shabbey and all who fight her".

brilliant well done Nick

Abbey £4340.59 *WON* Jan 07

Abbey II MCOL 31/03/07 £8800.00

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

Read my latest claim its a fast track potentially

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

read my first claim which includes attending a directions hearing in court

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

Well done Nick - great news:cool: :cool: :cool: :D

2 Accounts with statements back to Feb 04 = £802 in charges

S.A.R received by Abbey 22.09.06 .......start the clock!:D

9.10.06 received letter from Pam Speed 'information to follow'

12.10.06 received last 14 months of altered statements :rolleyes:

01.11.06 LBA sent to Abbey for statements

10.11.06 received statements back to 2000 - on one account:|

15.11.06 2nd LBA sent for outstanding information

26.11.06 Outstanding info arrives

30.11.06 Prelim for £1089 received by Abbey

06.12.06 Sorry you are unhappy letter received

21.12.06 Sent LBA giving 14 days before court action

22.12.06 Received GOGW for £375

Title changed (and Litigation moved)

CONGRATULATIONS

Don't forget the survey in all the excitement :D

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Well done Nick, and most deserved. Hope you will stay around for the real battle. Hope I will stay around for the battle ahead!. I do not hold out much hope for the ordinary person against the elite,who dictate how we all should exist.

Regards bish.

Abbey : £8070.41*PAID IN FULL*14/02/07:D

Capital one : LBA sent 17/09/06 £1,087.22

Marbles : LBA sent 17/09/06 £720.00 ; £720 offer accepted:D

sorry it's a little late, but allow me to shake your hand & congratulate you also Nick. Ladies & gentlemen, I give you one of the finest sources of advice & support on this site.............Mad Nick.

Well done again mate, I'm made up for you.

April 2007: Claim v Abbey settled £680!

July 2007: Claim 2 for £307 WON! after quiet word from the bailiff!!

Congrats. I am writing my LBAs this weekend, going for 28.7% as advised elsewhere.

I think absolute equity of treatment would have required me to offer ShAbbey the occassional personal loan at a lower rate etc, to mess them about generally. In fact we almost always repaid them the day after we went into unauthorised overdraft.

But, Mad Nick, you are a HERO, great example, which I need at the mo!

quietzap (I want my money back.)