backdoor Lowell Vodafone CCJ - set aside - now at new hearing stage

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1652 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Morning All,

I am new to the forum and  I have an issue here with the above claimant

I was wondering if it might be possible to request some help in relation to an agreement I had with mobile phone company (Vodafone).

I applied for a new mobile phone contract in December 2011 which lasted a year with poor service and being overcharged. 

In November 2012, Vodafone offered that I should upgrade to a new fixed term contract with a handset included in the overall price of the fixed term deal for a period of 2 years with a promise that the over payment will be refunded in due course but no refunds were ever made.

I am not sure if it is worth to pay a fee and make a counterclaim?

Moreover,

in December 2013 I was offered extra sim cards for my 3 children all under my name.

The extra sim cards were one bundle of contract for a duration of 1 year.

During this time,

the company failed to deliver services on many occasions including failure to carry out promised calls and not to mention billing issues.

Vodafone's last payment was taken from my bank account in December 2014.

I communicated to the phone company that I need them to text me my pack codes and received 2 Pcodes for 2 mobiles only

I insisted that they should text me the remaining 2 Pcodes.

However, they said that they have already issued all the Pcodes and they are unable to issue them again.

After arguing with Vodafone a couple of times over the phone they made me ill because I was not getting anywhere with them.

they have a tendency to twist things around before  they hang up on me a few times.

Since then I was under the impression that is all over now until Feb 2016.

In Feb 2016, Lowell Portfolio sent me a letter stating that the original creditor has registered details of an unpaid balance against me on my credit file.

This was the first communication I heard since January 2015.

The mobile company defaulted my account back in January 2015.

Lowell added that as they are now the legal owner of the account the default has been transferred to their name.

The only proof I have against Vodafone is my bank statements because I could not access my Vodafone online account and being told lies more often like my contract is an ongoing contract???

Lowell last correspondence : (see Notice of County court judgement letter enclosed here dated 13/02/2019)

Briefly, I managed to get the judgement set aside in the county court and It is ordered that :
1. judgement set aside under CPR 13.3(1)(G) and any warrant other than enforcement discharged, providing the defendant by pm on 15 May 2019 file a full defence with the court and serves a copy on the claimant attaching copies of any documents to be relied up on.

2. Costs reserved. Dated 1 May 2019

Hope this clarifies somewhat.

I do look forward to any advice that could be suggested as to my next steps.
Thank you all for your time and efforts. 

Summary:
1    December 2011 joined Vodafone and took out contract .

2    December 2012 Upgrade (new price plan)

3    December 2013 Upgrade to extra (3 new sim cards)

4    December 2014 service cancelled and pack code requested (receiver 2 Pcodes only)

5    February 2016 I was informed by Vodafone that Debt of (£303.89) was sold out to Lowell.

6    February 2016 I was informed by Lowell that the debt was sold to them.

7    March 2016 I replied to their letter asking for proof of the debt but received no reply.

8    December 2018 I received a letter stating that legal proceedings had now been issued.

9    January 2019 I received judgement  for the claimant in default (CCJ) as a result of the original claim form not being delivered.

10    January 2019 I responded to the CC J with an acknowledgement of service.

11    February 2019 I received courts and tribunals service appointment for the hearing to set aside judgement.

12    May 2019 Judgement set aside under CPR 13.3(1)(G)

13    15 May 2019. Time: 16:00 -- Deadline to file and serve my defence.

Notice of county court judgment.jpg

seems like lowells are jumping the gun...

you need to file a defence by 15 May 2019. Time: 16:00

ring northants bulk and check?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes I do.

Thanks to the forum I have been preparing my defence please could you proof read:

1.    Except where it contains admissions, the defendant requires the claimant to prove the matters set out in the claimant letter dated 15/02/2016

2.    The defendant     have communicated unresolved disputes with the original creditor     which remains unresolved.

3.    The defendant is relying on Bank statements to prove that the original agreement     was fully paid for the duration of the above contract under account ref: xxxxxxxxx

4.    The defendant admits that the original agreement with Vodafone began on the 12th     December 2011.

5.    The defendant ceased making payment after receiving Pack codes in relation to 2 mobile phones numbers on the 

6.    The claim for the mobile account in question has an alleged value of £435.20.

7.    The defendant denies that anything is due to the claimant, therefore the Claimant is  to provide strict proof to:
    (a) show how the Defendant has entered into a Agreement/ Contract; and
    (b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and show how  the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

8.    The Claimant has stated that he has made several requests for repayment, yet I do not acknowledge any debt to the Claimant.

9.    As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is required that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

10.    As the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim, due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act.

11.    Subject to the above, should the alleged amount claimed include an early     termination charge(s) amounting to the total balance of the remaining contract,  OF-COM guidance clearly states that any Early Termination Charge, that is made up     of the entire balance of the remaining contract, is unlikely to be fair, as it fails to take into account the fact that the provider no longer has to provide and pay for their service.

12.    By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed, or any relief.

The hearing will take place at the county court at clerkenwell and shoreditch the Gee street court house London EC1.

Hi and Welcome to CAG

If you could read the following link and then copy and paste the Q,s and your responses back here so we have all the details of the claim and history of the agreement to enable further advise on preparing a suitable defence going forward.

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/357877-you-have-received-a-claim-what-you-need-to-do-updated-jan-2019/

Regard

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Name of the Claimant  Lowell Portfolio I Ltd

Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.

Answer:  The original claim form was not received.

Particulars of Claim

What is the claim for 
1)    The defendant entered into an agreement with 
Vodafone under account reference  ……. ("the agreement).
2)    The defendant failed to maintain the required payments and the service was     terminated and notice given to the defendant.
3)    The Agreement was later assigned to the claimant on 29/01/2016.
4)    Despite repeated requests for payment, the sum of £303.89 remains due and outstanding.
And the claimant claims
a) The said sum of £303.89
b) Interest pursuant to s69 County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue, accruing at a daily rate of £0.067, but limited to one year, being £24.31

What is the total value of the claim? £435.20

Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC ( Pre Action Protocol) ?:Yes

Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? :No

Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? There is no change of address.

Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Old Mobile Phone account

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ?  April 

Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ?  By phone.

Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/ Equifax /Etc...) : I don't know.

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  Lowell Portfolio I Ltd.

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment?  yes

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?  Not a default notice as such but a letter informing that my account was assigned to Lowell Portfolio I Ltd.

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year   No

Why did you cease payments? I ceased payment because I cancelled the contract and requested  pack codes for all the phones but received 2 Pcodes only and Vodafone claimed that all the Pcodes were issued for all the 4 phones and that they are unable to issue them again.

What was the date of your last payment?  24th December 2014 

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved?   Yes

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No

Thanks so much!

I've only managed to get CCj set aside on Monday 1st May 2019.

According to judge stone sitting at the county court...this is my last chance to put things right.

He asked me to do my own research and file my defence by the 15th May 2019.

I haven't had much time to prepare for this to be honest.

I am single mum with children.

What is so important about the original claim form?

Notice of county court judgment.jpg

• dx100uk changed the title to backdoor Lowell Vodafone CCJ - set aside - now at new hearing stage

it will have the original particulars of claim

that and its wording is very important to a defence and a witness statement

there is no credit agreement with a mobile contract ???

id not file that defence no

put it back to how it was when you got it from CAG.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

we need to see the original particulars of claim

as for the defence you have put forward...

you have changed the wording of it from what we recommend is sent.

put it back to how we worded it.

its done that way for a specific reason.

dx

and they

do you not read your thread and what people advise...…????

and they

I thought I have answered that question previously.

Excuse my ignorance to the law dx...

I sought advise from citizen advise bureau last week but to my surprise they decline to help on the basis of time and I wasn't aware of what to do in this regard.

that is why I joined the forum.

yes you did the Q&A but not the last bit of my post...

so now you cant ring northants bulk till monday now

they will send it straight away

• Thanks 1

and they

Particulars added to post #5

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Thanks Andy. Still I'm really confused as to what exactly I need to do next...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I

must submit by 4 tomorrow and I will certainly donate to the site...

which is the original defence you latterly changed in your version here in post 3

and which I already refereed too you adaptions in post 9 here in your thread...

id not file that defence no

put it back to how it was when you got it from CAG.

and they

1)    The defendant entered into an agreement with Vodafone under account reference  ……. ("the agreement).
2)    The defendant failed to maintain the required payments and the service was terminated and notice given to the defendant.
3)    The Agreement was later assigned to the claimant on 29/01/2016.
4)    Despite repeated requests for payment, the sum of £303.89 remains due and outstanding.
And the claimant claims
a) The said sum of £303.89
b) Interest pursuant to s69 County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue, accruing at a daily rate of £0.067, but limited to one year, being £24.31

What is the total value of the claim? £435.20

Proposed Defence

The Defendant contends that the original Particulars of Claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

1. Paragraph 1 is accepted. I have, in the past, entered into a contract with Vodafone, however I do not recall the exact details, nor do I recall any outstanding balance. I have requested the claimant verify the exact details of this claim by way of a CPR 31.14. The claimant has refused to provide me with a copy of the agreement, stating he is not obligated to do so by virtue of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. To date, no statement of the alleged account has been received.

2.Paragraph 2 is noted, again I do not recall any breach and I have never received the stated Default Notice. The Claimant has stated, by letter, that he is not obligated to provide a copy of the Default Notice, again by virtue of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The Claimant is to provide strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into a Agreement/ Contract; and

(b) show and evidence the nature of breach and termination

(c) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

(d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

3. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is required that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

4. If the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim, due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act.

5. Regardless of the above, should the alleged amount claimed include an early termination charge(s) amounting to the total balance of the remaining contract, OFCOM guidance clearly states that any Early Termination Charge, that is made up of the entire balance of the remaining contract, is unlikely to be fair, as it fails to take into account the fact that the provider no longer has to provide and pay for their service.

6. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed, or any relief.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

can I submit my defence now?

I would add our std paragraph 

at the top

it does not need a number

The Defendant contends that the original Particulars of Claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

ok to go after that add in

how are you going to file this as mcol will not be available to you online  

and they

Your not at that stage yet.....disclosure of evidence is later after allocation

I received a reply this afternoon from Lowell solicitors.

Here is the full text:

"We refer to the above matter and acknowledge receipt of your defence dated 15 May 2019.

As the agreement is a telecommunications account, it is not regulated under the consumer credit act 1974 and as such copies of the credit Agreement or Default Notice are not available.

Copies would have been provided to you when you entered the contract on 9 December 2011.

The original Creditor, Vodafone has confirmed the last contact was on 09.02.15 where you had enquired about cancelling the second handset.

No resolution was recorded on the account.

Please find enclosed copy bills as provided by the original creditor detailing the outstanding amount of £303.89.

Our client is keen to resolve the matter and will consider any reasonable payment or settlement proposal you wish to make.

We look forward to hearing from you".

I have gone through the bills and it looks like they've applied an earlier termination fee of £105.87 + outstanding call charges/line rental of £198.02 (total: £303.89)

I am still confused as to why they've issued me with 2 Pac codes in December 2014?

Also, there was no second handset purchased from Vodafone!!!