BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 265 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hi all

i nee a little advice please,

my wife had a council tax outstanding council tax debt from her old address, [which was paid directly in full to the council instead of the Bailiffs]

now out of the blue she has had a hand delivered letter saying she owes £309.85 to Jacobs

i have been on the council website as we registered her an account and have checked the last 2 years and it says £120 and underneath it it says Bailiffs,

so my question is is this is bailiff charges and the debt has been paid direct to the councill do i have to pay the amount £309.85 to Jacobs or are they just trying it on ?

any advice will bbe gratefully recieved

Lee

You should have received the notice of enforcement, giving 7 days notice before an enforcement visit. 

So ask Jacobs what the £309.85 is for and when the notice of enforcement was posted to you, what address it was sent to. 

Once a council has passed it to an Enforcement company, you are responsible for a compliance fee, which was about £75. The Enforcement company then issue the notice of enforcement and if you don't respond with 7 days, then can       then charge an enforcement visit fee which was £235.

Paying the council directly, after the Enforecement company have taken over, would not stop the fees being due to them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for the reply

are they allowed to break in to my property or force entry, does anyone know the law on this ?

Lee

No right of forced entry on ctax

Dont forget the £235 can only be charged if they latterly attend.

After the 7 days

so dates please??

the removal letter hand delivered today, as to dates before that they have never attended here before,

when i cleared the amount the council website said there was nothing left top pay

Lee

The council should autopay fees due at that time.

so unless you paid bill+£75 to the council 

you didnt pay the full owing so do owe the £235 +the £75=£310

You prob over paid ctax bill by 15 p i bet hence £309.85 owing

They can target goods outside of your home, that they think you own. 

Best for you to come to an arrangement by calling their office.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

There is a backlash now about this kind of behaviour with councils, using Bailiffs, not helping people at all, being punitive. Ring and email the local councillor from the area and explain the situation.  

There's a 50/50 chance he /she will sort this for you and wipe the fees, and it will only take you a few minutes to do this.

15 hours ago, petrified said:

my wife had a council tax outstanding council tax debt from her old address, [which was paid directly in full to the council instead of the Bailiffs]

now out of the blue she has had a hand delivered letter saying she owes £309.85 to Jacobs

You mention that the debt related to a previous property. In that case, what happened to prompt you to make payment to the council? For example, had your wife received notification from the tenant at the previous property that a bailiff had visited etc...….or had your wife received a letter at your current address from Jacobs? 

If your wife had received a letter, what amount was stated on the letter?

On 07/05/2019 at 21:04, petrified said:

the removal letter hand delivered today, as to dates before that they have never attended here before,

when i cleared the amount the council website said there was nothing left top pay

Lee

The council website will only show their fees and not any from the enforcement agents.