Landlord refuses to renew contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1806 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am trying to find out information for a friend.  She was moved from her accommodation which she shared with others but each having a studio flat, as the Landlord wanted the property back.  As the group did not wish to be evicted, they contact an organisation called Hope Worldwide. They helped her move into another property in a different borough but it was a shared accommodation. She has been in the property for over 3 years.  She recently spoke to the Landlord and found out that he contract with the landlord had expired. She asked if it could be renewed however the Landlord refused but is still allowing her to remain in the property as the rent is still being paid by the DWP.  She is currently receiving Universal Credit but looking for a job. She would like to move out of the flatshare but as she is a single person is not considered a priority.  Any suggestions?

Housing rental likely to be open ended with landlord required to give notice, if they wanted tenants to move out for reasons other than eviction due to rent arrears.

Universal credit housing compared to council housing benefit does not appear to be as restrictive in terms of people moving to other parts of the UK. If your friend can find housing elsewhere, then subject to UC housing amount payable being enough, then there is nothing stopping your friend moving.  If your friend is is aged 35+ or in receipt of a disability benefit then they can receive at least 1 bed rate.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

I assume this is private housing and she has been in the present flat share for 3 yrs so here tenancy agreement is more than likely a periodic tenancy now as the fixed term has expired (this is me guessing)

What tenancy agreement did they sign for the flat share and do they have a copy?

They need to look at what social housing is in the area i.e. council housing, housing association, housing trusts etc and get there application forms and fill them out and send them back to each. This way they get there name added to the waiting list for housing but if they move they must inform each of that move otherwise they may be removed from that list as contactable ( most review there lists each year and send confirmation to the application address unless updated, if no response removed from list)

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Why does she want to renew the contract if she wants to move out? A new contract would mean that she is bound by the fixed term so would be liable for rent until the term finished. Because there is no renewed tenancy does not mean that she has no tenant's rights. The landlord still needs to give sufficient notice to evict her, and she needs to give sufficient notice to leave too. What that notice period is depends on what type of tenancy was originally signed.

Edited by Will Goodfellow