• Tweets

• And again I see Vanquis getting mixed up with Notice of Default rather than Default Notice (there is no such document in English Law or the CCA1974) its an American Legal Document which is connected to Mortgages and Foreclosure)   Your default notice is attached to a Notice of Default ...which is dated...but look at the Default notice itself...its not dated....   A recent cagger lost his case on this fact as the judge accepted the date on the Notice of Default could be accepted as the start date as the letter connected itself to the Default Notice.   As for the agreement NA1 they state in their statement its a reconstituted version of the agreement relied upon......yet you applied on line so your name would not be on the agreement at this stage....as DX states it would simply be a tick box.   Look closely at the start of the agreement it refers to parties 1.2.......you yourself your means the person signing this agreement and whose name and address is stated on the Reply Card or Application.........which renders the alleged agreement as nonsense...as there would be no requirement for an online application to contain 1.2.   Andy 
    • Thanks for the reply @Will Goodfellow tbh, that is what I suspected from the reading around in have done.   So HSBC wouldn't likely accept the certificate of termination alone or a copy of the t&cs from Knightsbridge that were signed..?   But how would we make a claim for it from Creditfix?    Thanks
    • Yes, that's correct.  There is nothing else apart from what I have uploaded.
    • Thats fine jb I just wanted to be clear that NA1 is the only document they rely on and that there was no other versions being disclosed. 
    • Oh I don’t doubt you, I just find it brilliant and amusing.   All I’ll add is don’t be too confident they’ll be foolish forever, be prepared for them getting their act together. No harm in being prepared!!!
  • Our picks

• Future Comms is a Big Con. How to get out of it. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/417058-future-comms-is-a-big-con-how-to-get-out-of-it/
      • 4 replies
    • Future Comms issues. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/416504-future-comms-issues/
      • 5 replies
    • This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.

THIS IS HOW THE PHONECALL WENT 

I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
    • A shocking story of domestic and economic abuse compounded by @BarclaysUKHelp ‏ bank complicity – coming soon @A_Gentle_Woman. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415737-a-shocking-story-of-domestic-and-economic-abuse-compounded-by-barclaysukhelp-%E2%80%8F-bank-complicity-%E2%80%93-coming-soon-a_gentle_woman/
      • 0 replies
Moonshark

Xercise4less/harlands - keeping the membership without paying admin fee?

mine is just another one of xercise4less/ harlands horror stories.  

Had some financial issues

they were unable to process my direct debit payment,

as a result I was charged 2x admin fee (£25) and currently owe £61.99

(they are also threatening to add another £25 if i don't pay them by 4th of May).

After reading about other people’s experiences,

it seems it’s quite easy to get away without paying the ridiculous fees

– that is, if you cancel the contract.

But thing is, I don’t want to cancel my contract

– I enjoy working out, been going there for several years and made  many friends. 

What I’m trying to find out, it’s whether it’s possible to avoid paying these ridiculous fees without cancelling the contract?

And is it up to xercise4less or harlands to waive the admin fee?

I’d be happy to pay the annual fee in one instalment so i don't have to deal with harlands but don’t think xercise4less have that option.

Have also thought about ringing them up to say that if they want to keep me as a client, they must waive the admin fee, but to be honest I doubt it would work.

Does anyone have experience dealing with such situation?

Any advice would be  very much appreciated! 

Hi Moonshark and welcome to CAG

I doubt you'd get anywhere offering X4Less a years' fees in one go as I think Harlands always handle the fees. The actual gym is unlikely to be any use to you either.

I suggest your best bet is to use X4Less's Facebook page to say you had a minor problem with a DD and want to continue as an X4Less member but Harlands are looking to charge you over £50 in penalty fees for something that may have actually cost them very little but now they're looking to profit from your minor transgression.

If you get nowhere with this tactic, or from the gym manager (with the offer to pay for the year in one go), you are probably better to cancel the DD mandate to avoid Harlands using it to collect penalty fees that the bank bounces again AND charges you bank fees. This is the double whammy you don't want !!

We at CAG say you have grounds to cancel the DD due to Harlands/CRS misuse of the DD mandate in collecting unlawful penalty (or admin) fees.

Keep us posted please.............

😎

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

@slick132, thanks for your detailed response, that was very helpful. So here's what happened since: I've decided to pay the fees; I went onto harlands payment page and even though in the email they were asking me for £61.99, after logging in with my details I saw that the payment amount stated was £36.99, so that's what I've paid.

I guess it's important to mention that in the email they've sent me they gave me till 4th of May to contact them. I have made the payment on the 4th but due to the bank hols it was only processed by my bank on the 8th. Here's the email I have received from them on the 10th of May:

'Dear xxxxx  xxxxxx

Harlands administer the collection of all payments due under your agreement with Xercise 4 Less. Your bank have advised us that your May instalment has been returned unpaid "refer to payer" as there were insufficient funds in the account to pay the amount due. 

We will therefore debit your account on 15 MAY 19 for the total amount of £98.98 made up as follows: 

Instalment Amount £23.98
Administration Fee £75.00
Total Due £98.98

Please note that the submission for this will be made two working days prior to 15 MAY 19 and if this date is not convenient, please contact us on '

This is unbelievable.  First of all, there was enough money in my account to cover this, so no way my DD payment would bounce back; second, the payments are taken on 11th, meaning they've emailed me this threatening letter before my May payment was even due!

I'm completely at loss , it seems like there's no winning wih these people. How are they even allowed to operate under the UK law is beyond me.. 

Like said before, I'd love to keep the membership, but no way I am allowing them to threaten me like this, and I'm not paying these ridiculous fees. The last option I feel I have before cancelling my DD is to contact them and tell them that they have a choice: take any actual membership payments I owe up to date and 1x £25 admin fee and keep me as a customer, or have me cancel my outstanding DD payments and be sure I'll report their unlawful methods to every relevant government agency, like FCA.

Any thoughts or comments will be very much appreciated!

Hi Moon,

I suggest you cancel the DD immediately to avoid Harlands abusing the mandate to collect admin fees.

If the DD WAS returned unpaid by the bank, the bank will charge you for bouncing it. The bank will charge you every time a DD is unpaid due to insufficient fees and you'll have little chance of having this refunded.

You simply cannot reason with Harlands - they make loads more charging their admin fees than the smaller percentage they take for collecting the monthly gym fees.

Stop trying to resolve this with Harlands and/or the gym. Look for another gym you can use.

The FCA have nothing to do with gym m/ships so complaining to them is pointless. The CMA and/or Trading Standards have been complained to in the past but they seem unable or unwilling to really use their resources to act against Harlands.

Ignore Harlands after cancelling the DD mandate via your bank, if that's what you decide to do.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)