Pritti

Unexpected Delivery charges

I recently ordered an item from Cape Town for my daughter as a birthday gift. It was delivered to my home. I paid the costs plus delivery charges. A few days later DHL began to send me texts demanding payment of £74.83 for customs, duty, VAt and some unknown "extra charges".  I have been on their website and seen that the receiver is apparently liable to pay them. The point is that I thought delivery charges covered everything. Had I known about this exhorbitant amount I would never have ordered the item. It has more than doubled the original cost.

I have no legal relationship with DHL and was never given the opportunity to decide on whether to use them or not. Do I have to pay them?

I'm afraid you probably do have to pay them. I'm not exactly sure which regulations govern this – but it is pretty normal.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

what  was the value of the item and what was it? Import tariffs vary according to the item and country of origin ( whether we have a trade deal with them or not). on top of the duty there will be VAT to add to the total and duty and VAT apply to the shipping costs as well. After that DHL pay your bill for you and ask you to pay them. For doing that they charge you around £20. Now RM charge you £25 so not an exorbitant amount but  a big surprise for people who cant be bothered to factor in the law of the land when they make an online purchase from abroad.

If you think this is bad try imprting things from countries that charge you an export fee for your goods to leave them such as India. they also dont allow bank to bank transfer either, it has to go through their national bank's system and fees get slapped on for the pleasure of paying for the stuff.