Universal Credit First Application

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1815 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,  I will need to apply for Universal Credit soon and would like to know if anyone can answer a question I have.  I have various medical issues and my GP will provide a sick note or fit note, whatever they are calling them these days.  If I present this with my application to be placed in the higher group, not fit enough to consider looking for work at this time, will I receive payments immediately and then this might be reviewed after an assessment?  Or do I have to wait for an assessment before received this extra payment as part of UC, which should they agree with my GP would then be backdated?  I am really dreading this whole process.  Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Hi. This is from the CAB. They also say they can help with the paperwork, although that might depend on how busy they are in your area.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/applying-for-universal-credit/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/before-you-apply/what-universal-credit-is/

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Honeybee13, thank you for the reply and the links to the CAB information, which is very helpful and I think answered my question.  The process is extremely daunting but we don't really have much of a choice do we?  

Do not be put off, have you a Welfare Rights team in your local council,or if a HA tenant one in the HA?  They will call you for a Work capabilitry Assessment of their own, so get help filling that one in as well. It is an Online only application, and takes around 2 hours to complete.  Some Jobcenters will help you fill it in at a Jobcentre.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Thank you brassnecked for the response.  My local council welfare rights department only deals with people by telephone, which I find difficult.  I cannot think quickly enough about what else I need to ask and so they end the call before I get a chance to cover everything I needed to talk about.  I will try the CAB to see if they can provide someone to help with the form filling and attending the assessment but I am not sure they offer this in my area.  

You just complete the Universal Credit application online and it will ask you whether you suffer from health condition. They will also ask you whether you have a Doctors fit note. 

Once you have submittted your online application, you then have to phone Universal Credit to book a Job Centre appointment to verify your identity, verify your bank details, provider your Doctors fit note.  Once you have done this you can request an advance payment.

if you have a disability or health condition that would prevent you attending a Job Centre, you can phone Universal Credit and request a home visit. 

The health assessment would not be held very quickly, unless you have a certain health condition which allows a quicker assessment. After a month or two of a UC claim, if you have a fit note still running, they will arrange to post the assessment form to you.

After you have returned the assessment form, the assessment company will advise you further.  They will contact your Doctors and if enough information is provided you may not need a face to face assessment.  If you were awarded limited capability for work and work related activity, you would not receive an addition money for the first 3 months of the UC claim. The exception is where you have less than 6 months to live or you were previously receiving ESA with the extra payment in the month before the UC claim.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi unclebulgaria67,

Thank you so much for the information which is very helpful.  I realise this system does not in any way favour people who already suffer anxiety and related issues but I guess it's a case of one step at a time.  I cannot help worrying though about all the 'what ifs' that may or may not happen.  I always assume the worst possible outcome which increases the anxiety at every stage of the process.  Hopefully things will not be as bad a anticipated. Thanks you again for the detailed information.

Unclebulgaria has indicated the procedure ina nutshell, take it at yurown pace, and there is no need to stress yourself out.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Thanks, I will try to follow your advice and not stress out - easier said than done but I really appreciate the help and encouragement from the replies I have received today.