Global Financial Crisis

Philx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1821 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I’ve been off work for a year. Thankfully I have an all encompassing interest in the news particularly in the possibility of a recession. It’s been bubbling in the background . The last couple of weeks I have had word from a couple of friends in two of the biggest banks that we are very close to a huge meltdown. Many suggesting Trumps dispute with Deutsche Bank could be the tipping point.

Has anyone heard similar ? If there is a problem what would an average investor do ? Some have suggested buying into Gold but I don’t want to be lumped in with the tinfoil hat brigade.

i would consider this a serious question. I predicted Trumps win, the Brexit result etc. I am concerned.

Any feedback whatsoever would be appreciated. 

Spread your savings, just in case any bank is affected, causing delays in accessing cash.  Think about cashing in shares, if you are worried about stock market crash. I am sure there is information online about, how to protect yourself if there is another financial crash.

i am sure that I heard similar a few weeks ago.   

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I’ve been in hospital for a while and have sorted my finances a couple of months ago. I still have a floating £10k which would pretty much pay the mortgage off.Would that be an advantage  I’m guessing not but what do you suggest ?

I never been a major contributor to this site but when I joined I was close to bankruptcy. You helped me claim back a fortune on PPI before most people understood what it meant.

a good time to say thanks.

Hi Phil.

I don't think we're qualified to advise you on what to do with your lump sum, unfortunately. You need to speak to someone who can take the whole of your financial position into account.

It's good to hear that we helped you. :D

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I'm not qualified to advise you on what to do with your £10k, but I will say that most advice sites that I've seen recommend that if you have a lump sum available it is in most cases better to use it to pay off your debts than to put it into a savings account simply because most people are paying much higher interest rates on their borrowings than they could get with their savings. And prioritise the debts to pay off so that you pay those with the highest interest rate first (which probably isn't your mortgage).  That said, when I was made redundant and able to pay off my mortgage I jumped at it just know that my house was, at last, all mine and if mortgage rates went up it no longer mattered to me!

MoneySavingExpert for example:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/pay-off-debts/

Edited by Ethel Street
  • Thanks 2