Glass cut to wrong size wont refund

ClaireWR
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1813 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband ordered some glass for a conservatory roof, over the phone.  When he went to use the glass he realised they had the width at 2,900  instead of 3,500 .  He phoned the company immediately and they said they do not refund on made to measure glass.  (their website confirms this, albeit very briefly) .  They are saying that they would have repeated the order back to him before taking payment.  He says there is no way he could make that mistake.   They have suggested we try and sell the glass on ebay.  He reordered the correct size and paid again because he wanted to get on with the job.  I have called them and asked them for their procedures in case it happens again.  They said they just repeat the order over the phone but do not insist on email or text confirmation.  They do not have a recording of the phone call.  So basically its just our word against theirs.  Its a lot of money, do we have any rights under consumer laws?

Many thanks

Yes, you have all the rights on your side but unfortunately without evidence there is no way you can search them.

I'm afraid that on the basis of what you say here, there is nothing you can do. It's late for me to say this but in future you should make sure that everything is in writing and sent at least by SMS and also you should read our customer services guide and record all your calls.

I'm very sorry that the advice he is so negative but I'm afraid that when it is your word against theirs then there is really very little you can do.

• Like 1

can you prove the error is theirs?

I would ahve gone elsewhere as soon as they said about selling the glass on ebay as I wouldnt want to keep feeding a company that cant even be bothered to try

A compromise could easily be reached when the cut piece is of such a decent size, if hubby had ordered 10 small bits the wrong size the glaziers wouldnt be able to sell on or recut but a whopping piece like this?