do i have unrealistic aims here

labrat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1817 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

before i slam like a ton of bricks on a store i need to ask if im being unrealistic

we brought a gazebo on monday

today we went outside to check only to find it upside down and half the poles snapped or bent

wind speed here is about 18mph overnight

the reason it flipped, the guy ropes had snapped in the middle of the ropes, to my mind that makes the rope unfit for the purpose they were designed - i just dont know if thats an unrealistic attitude

i need to wait until 7 to phone the store but im going to go with the not fit for purpose role, any other suggestions

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

To be fair you shouldn't have left it out overnight as it's not classed as a permanent structure. 

I bought a cheap one from eBay and it crumpled like a cheap suit. I got my money back. 

That being said I don't think it's been particularly windy in the UK well it certainly hasn't been in Central Scotland where I am. 

I'd certainly question its quality but perhaps omit the fact you left it out overnight. 

The wind gusts last night in many western parts of the country were more than 18mph.

bearing in mind a storm was forecast on weather reports and in the news, you might face a struggle with this.

Have a look through the user advertsement/instructions etc to see what it says about taking the Gazebo down if windy weather is expected.

if you look at adverts for tents as an example, they generally state what capability they have for usage in certain weather conditions. You would not expect a £20 tent where it said it was meant as a cover against moderate weather conditions, to still be standing, if there were strong wind gusts. But a £100 tent that stated it could be used in stormy weather, should be strong enough to stand up to conditions, if the tent was erected per user instructions.

So it depends on what weather you had. I live in the west country and had items blown around the garden.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It was about 70

The instructions that came with it said nothing about taking down overnight or even anything about windspeed and was simply a single side of A4

the wind speed was taken from met office and I took an image of it (we are also in a sheltered part of the country) 

Oddly enough the other gazebo (a £25 special) is still standing but the guy ropes on that are triple the thickness of these

Annoyingly I have more rope on order at the moment as well :(

Good new is so far the store has agreed to replace but that may change when we get there 

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Hopefully this will be resolved later then.

There is no harm in taking anything back, where the item has failed and stating your case. It might be worth taking pictures of damaged parts, so you have these before taking it back to the store. Just as a belt and braces approach.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I'll pop the damaged guy ropes on the top of the box when I take it back, looking closer it seems more like string than actual rope, the other gazebos rope is about twice as thick 

Annoyingly I usually replace guy ropes on anything I buy with my own cord which is 100kg breaking weight but I ran out ages ago and the other ones in the post

Please note:

Give it a try, they can only say no,   the guy ropes may well not be fit for purpose;  where I live in North Wales we have had 60mph plus, with 82 mph at Aberdaron last night,  so any gazebo would have no chance

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Well it's back and refunded as no more in stock well done to b and q

To be fair we took it in and the lady on returns just mentioned she knew about it, as did the manager and apparently anyone else the twitter team and executive team could get hold of. 

Not sure what to replace it with yet so the old one is back up, it only came down due to a tear in one of the panels 

• Like 1

Please note:

Great result Labrat,👍

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I had one that I tied down well and a gust snapped the guy ropes AND the legs and lifted the remainder and threw it halfway across a field. that had a tubular frame  fo lightweight construction so I bought one with a bigger thicker steel frame but it still feels the strain when the wind gets up to 25mph an where I live that is a gentle breeze