Need Advise about ScottishPower

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1814 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just moved into a council property

found 3 letters addressed to the ‘Owner Occupier’ .

The dates on the letters are weeks before I was even given the keys or moved into property latest letter date 20th April. 

All 3 letters are for outstanding amount owing to ScottishPower.

On the letter it states if amount not paid they will issue defaults or send baliff to the address..

I have called SP and advised that I just moved into the property and letters are not for the now new Occupiers of the home.

I was advised by an agent that SP will put a default to the address..

I have advised the council but honestly don’t think they care or will do anything.

Is what SP advised possible? 

Debts are owed by a person and not an address.

So Scottish Power are just saying that they will make a note of a billing issue at the address. I suspect some people phone energy companies saying that they have moved from an address, when they are still living there, to try to avoid debts. So this might be why they have mentioned default at the address etc.

You should just be able to register the supply in your name with a supplier of your choice. When you do this, you will supply all of the details requested including any meter readings. Your energy supplier will register this change on a central database and Scottish Power will see that another person has taken on the supply at the address. Scottish Power should then search for the debtor and chase them elsewhere. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

think you must have heard a few things wrong....

because they cant send bailiffs around at all.

and if you are thinking that because they said a Debt collector and they are the same thing 

you are sadly very wrong.

a debt collection agency  [DCA] has ZERO legal powers and are NOT bailiffs and beve ever can be.

pers id just ignore SP, there is nothing they can do to you.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Give them the date you moved in and  what the meter reading was when you moved in.     As DX points out they cannot send bailiffs without a Court Order from a CCJ but if not in your name sticky wicket for them.  but  they might be silly enough to try to get a warrant to enter and put in a pre-pay meter to recoup the previous tenants arrears SP have form for that trick   They would be very silly to try that in the name of The Occupier, as your dated tenancy Agreement would put them in a very bad light if they did that. Unclebulgaria's advice about supplier of your choice is good, you don't have to accept SP as your supplier.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

1 hour ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

Debts are owed by a person and not an address.

So Scottish Power are just saying that they will make a note of a billing issue at the address. I suspect some people phone energy companies saying that they have moved from an address, when they are still living there, to try to avoid debts. So this might be why they have mentioned default at the address etc.

You should just be able to register the supply in your name with a supplier of your choice. When you do this, you will supply all of the details requested including any meter readings. Your energy supplier will register this change on a central database and Scottish Power will see that another person has taken on the supply at the address. Scottish Power should then search for the debtor and chase them elsewhere. 

Thank you appreciate the advice:-)

1 hour ago, dx100uk said:

think you must have heard a few things wrong....

because they cant send bailiffs around at all.

and if you are thinking that because they said a Debt collector and they are the same thing 

you are sadly very wrong.

a debt collection agency  [ DCA] has ZERO legal powers and are NOT bailiffs and beve ever can be.

pers id just ignore SP, there is nothing they can do to you.

Thanks for the advice. Guess the agents need training with some of the things they say. Plus I’m new to all of this. Appreciate the insight :-)

5 minutes ago, brassnecked said:

Give them the date you moved in and  what the meter reading was when you moved in.     As DX points out they cannot send bailiffs without a Court Order from a CCJ but if not in your name sticky wicket for them.  but  they might be silly enough to try to get a warrant to enter and put in a pre-pay meter to recoup the previous tenants arrears SP have form for that trick   They would be very silly to try that in the name of The Occupier, as your dated tenancy Agreement would put them in a very bad light if they did that. Unclebulgaria's advice about supplier of your choice is good, you don't have to accept SP as your supplier.

I have given them that info. Thanks for the advice it has all been helpful & will keep the forum up to date.. 

1 hour ago, ericsbrother said:

also use a price comparison site to find the best deal for your energy adn switch asap. If they try and prevent the migration because fo someone else's debt you will have them over a barrel

Funny thing is the previous tenants had already switch from SP as they had stated in the letter and they are NOT my energy provider either.. pure stress they are.