Conditions at work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1817 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does my employer have to provide a proper changing room at work?  We currently have to get changed in the staff room, which isn't very private!  We have brought it up, but they say there isn't any room anywhere to put a changing room

I think you will probably need to explain to people the kind of work you are doing and the extent to which you have to change your clothes.

I expect that the answer will broadly be – yes, they do. But wait for some more input

That can cover a multitude of sins. Do you have to strip naked? Or just put a jacket over your clothes? In mixed sex company? With no curtains or what?

On a very basic level, yes, changing in a room (whatever it is called the rest of the time) which is private and not mixed gender would probably be ok. 

What is your objection to doing so? 

56 minutes ago, sangie5952 said:

That can cover a multitude of sins. Do you have to strip naked? Or just put a jacket over your clothes? In mixed sex company? With no curtains or what?

On a very basic level, yes, changing in a room (whatever it is called the rest of the time) which is private and not mixed gender would probably be ok. 

What is your objection to doing so? 

No, I don't have to strip naked!  Have to take my clothes off to put my uniform on - but not completely naked! In mixed sex company (unless no one else happens to be in there), and there are no curtains

My objection is having to undress in front of co workers!

So, to be clear, you are undressing - and by that I mean down to underwear - in front of colleagues of the opposite sex? In which case no, that isn't acceptable. Why cannot people of opposite sexes change at different times - it surely only takes minutes? Why not change before coming to work? What discussions have you had with the employer about this, and have you proposed solutions? Because if there isn't room to put in changing rooms, demanding one isn't really going to get you  very far - so what other solutions are there? 

On 26/04/2019 at 16:04, sangie5952 said:

So, to be clear, you are undressing - and by that I mean down to underwear - in front of colleagues of the opposite sex? In which case no, that isn't acceptable. Why cannot people of opposite sexes change at different times - it surely only takes minutes? Why not change before coming to work? What discussions have you had with the employer about this, and have you proposed solutions? Because if there isn't room to put in changing rooms, demanding one isn't really going to get you  very far - so what other solutions are there? 

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Yes, we have to undress down to underwear in front of colleagues of the opposite sex.  We work on a shift basis, so everyone needs to use the room at the same time, and sometimes there's someone in the room on their break anyway, so can't really ask them to leave (although some staff do wait outside to give privacy)

why cant you ask the other to leave? if it inconveniences your employer then they have to make a decision on how to organise the changing and so forth. If every person complained about thsi and resolutely refused to compromise the management have to come up with a solution to their problem.

Thsi wont meaqn building a new suite, just managing people a bit better.

It isnt allowed to change into chefs whites before travel so that isnt a quick answer to their problems but a 5 minute break before work starts is within ther powers. they will probably taek the time back at the end of the shift but at least they have had to consider the problem

So when your have refused to do that, what had management said? Even if shifts start at the same time, it seems not beyond the wit of man to have five minutes for women and five minutes for men. Or change into uniform before coming to work. But the thing is, if you all don't refuse to change in these conditions, then you are agreeing to it! There is no magic wand that someone waves and it gets done for you - the employees need to tackle it. 

Oops and just noticed that I cross posted the same points.