Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

  • Our picks

    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.
      We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.
      After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.
      It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.
      A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?
      After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.
      The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 
      You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.
        • Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.
      I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.
      As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.
      If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.
      They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.
      If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.
      The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.
      They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.
      Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks
        • Like

Best way of gifting a property

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 543 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts



Would really appreciate some advice on if I will be liable to pay Capital Gains Tax



 My parents are about to buy the house next door to me. Cash buyer.  Semi detached. Well under the inheritance tax threshold. No outstanding mortgage. As soon as they buy it they want to gift it to myself, wife and or children as I have financially supported them over the years, cleared some of their debt and they want to support their grandchildren. They wont be paying me rent.


When they gift it me it will be valued at exactly the same price they paid for it. They own no other properties.


Even considered knocking through and turning it into one big property.(Classed as living together). Would that impact on it?


I currently own a house myself so dont want them to buy the new house in my name as I will be liable for Stamp Duty


Im aware of all the risks around divorce and falling out with family so just need some advice on the financial side of things. There are no known issues regarding avoiding fees for care homes/bankruptcy


Many thanks

Edited by bill1980

Im new to this and am just giving an opinion. Seek further clarification and advice on what I post before taking it as gospel :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread moved to General Legal Issues Forum...please continue to post here to your thread.





We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites



You need to gather a lot of information on this. We'll do our best to help but it's possible you will need to see a lawyer.


I'll go and look for information, but two things I think you should look at are 'gifts with reservation' and 'deprivation of capital'.



Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, honeybee13 said:

Here's a link to HMRC about gifting property.





Thanks for your time. Will take a look. 

Im new to this and am just giving an opinion. Seek further clarification and advice on what I post before taking it as gospel :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

AgeUK on deprivation of capital/assets.




I think you and your parents may need to see a specialist wills and probate solicitor to talk through the ramifications of what they want to do. You can find local specialists through the Law Society website, Find a Solicitor. You can tell the site where you live and it will tell you who deals with wills and probate.



  • Like 1

Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Consider setting up a Discretionary Trust. 

You will need a Trust lawyer to set it up for you.

But the basics are:

2 Trustees and named beneficiaries

Your parents can "give" the money to the Trust - up to £325k IHT threshold - to purchase it

This is useful route if you don't intend to sell the property.

selling at a profit would incur capital gains tax.

Also it won't impact your own personal residency ownership

The lawyer would advise you properly though


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated. I will get some formal advice before jumping in.


Reading my original post back it doesn't make it very clear as half of it is hypothetical as I'm exploring options at the moment and just want t ok do the best.


What I'm leaning towards is


1) loaning my parents money to clear existing debt and mortgage. This loan will be drawn up and secured against property. No interest charged.


2) This will allow them to downsize, sell their house and move into the house next door to me.


3) I will benefit as I don't get a random neighbour, I help them out,I never intend to move. I will also hopefully be named in the will. 


No inheritance  or income tax issues. No sign of this in the near future but if they do go into care I won't be out of pocket due to loan agreement.


Like I said these are just initial thoughts and we will get professional advice. 

Im new to this and am just giving an opinion. Seek further clarification and advice on what I post before taking it as gospel :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...