Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • It is usual policy to commence with a short tem lease, then when this ends to go onto a mothly renewable arrangement. As far as your safety is concerned it will be the same as it has been since the end of your short term tenancy. There is procedure to reclaim the property, but that is through what is called, the section 21 procedure, unless there is arrears, This gives you plenty of notice, talking months. If you are worried , the best thing to do is to talk to the new owners or their letting agents. It would be good to see the new contract the agents have given you.
    • Thank you.  Threads that point to success - or to mistakes - are very useful for motorists that will come on here in the future.   What you have done is utter insanity.  Despite being given on a plate two threads where motorists beat Athena in the same week as your case you've gone and handed over money to the fleecers.  It doesn't take much to work out that (a) not handing over money you don't owe to conmen is a better strategy than (b) handing over money you don't owe to conmen then trying to get it back.   The amount was never "going up" from £45 to £90 because it was never £45 in the first place.  It was always £0.  You were being charged for overstaying by eight seconds which is legally "de minimis" ("the law does not deal with trivialities").  You couldn't read Athena's signs anyway as the car park was pitch black!  Etc.  Etc.   Athena's position will be that you admitted the debt (otherwise why did you pay it?)  I hope chargeback goes well but often it's a battle to get banks to carry out chargeback and they will understandably be bemused as to why you paid this money if you thought you didn't owe it.  Bluntly you've just made life a million times harder for no reason.  It's like a football team manager who instructs the players to score two own goals in the first minute and then try to win the game.     That said, go for chargeback and good luck.
    • Same reason Councils like to use Agency workers at sharp end.
    • Not a fan of outsourcing in general, as I think control is lost.  And the companies used, can have problems meeting the standards required, as HB states above.    But I can see why it is attractive, as then Government department or principal company does not have additional staff with pensions and all of the other costs.   If you needed say 200 staff to cover work that would last a year, it can make sense to outsource the work, depending on what is required.    
    • That's what gets me, BN, unless these three companies have a monopoly between them.   At least two of them have been fined or had financial penalties for messing up, haven't they? And yet they still get the next job, possibly with no tendering in the current climate.
  • Our picks

    • @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 6 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help
      I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later
      I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute
      I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today
      I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.
      I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .
       I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !
      I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !
      i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Best way of gifting a property

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 509 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts



Would really appreciate some advice on if I will be liable to pay Capital Gains Tax



 My parents are about to buy the house next door to me. Cash buyer.  Semi detached. Well under the inheritance tax threshold. No outstanding mortgage. As soon as they buy it they want to gift it to myself, wife and or children as I have financially supported them over the years, cleared some of their debt and they want to support their grandchildren. They wont be paying me rent.


When they gift it me it will be valued at exactly the same price they paid for it. They own no other properties.


Even considered knocking through and turning it into one big property.(Classed as living together). Would that impact on it?


I currently own a house myself so dont want them to buy the new house in my name as I will be liable for Stamp Duty


Im aware of all the risks around divorce and falling out with family so just need some advice on the financial side of things. There are no known issues regarding avoiding fees for care homes/bankruptcy. 


Many thanks

Edited by bill1980

Im new to this and am just giving an opinion. Seek further clarification and advice on what I post before taking it as gospel :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread moved to General Legal Issues Forum...please continue to post here to your thread.





We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites



You need to gather a lot of information on this. We'll do our best to help but it's possible you will need to see a lawyer.


I'll go and look for information, but two things I think you should look at are 'gifts with reservation' and 'deprivation of capital'.



Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, honeybee13 said:

Here's a link to HMRC about gifting property.





Thanks for your time. Will take a look. 

Im new to this and am just giving an opinion. Seek further clarification and advice on what I post before taking it as gospel :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

AgeUK on deprivation of capital/assets.




I think you and your parents may need to see a specialist wills and probate solicitor to talk through the ramifications of what they want to do. You can find local specialists through the Law Society website, Find a Solicitor. You can tell the site where you live and it will tell you who deals with wills and probate.



  • Like 1

Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Consider setting up a Discretionary Trust. 

You will need a Trust lawyer to set it up for you.

But the basics are:

2 Trustees and named beneficiaries

Your parents can "give" the money to the Trust - up to £325k IHT threshold - to purchase it

This is useful route if you don't intend to sell the property.

selling at a profit would incur capital gains tax.

Also it won't impact your own personal residency ownership

The lawyer would advise you properly though


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated. I will get some formal advice before jumping in.


Reading my original post back it doesn't make it very clear as half of it is hypothetical as I'm exploring options at the moment and just want t ok do the best.


What I'm leaning towards is


1) loaning my parents money to clear existing debt and mortgage. This loan will be drawn up and secured against property. No interest charged.


2) This will allow them to downsize, sell their house and move into the house next door to me.


3) I will benefit as I don't get a random neighbour, I help them out,I never intend to move. I will also hopefully be named in the will. 


No inheritance  or income tax issues. No sign of this in the near future but if they do go into care I won't be out of pocket due to loan agreement.


Like I said these are just initial thoughts and we will get professional advice. 

Im new to this and am just giving an opinion. Seek further clarification and advice on what I post before taking it as gospel :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...