• Tweets

• Thanks DX.  I've ploughed through the pages and dug out what I feel are the relevant ones. Obviously, some of these are duplicates of what I've put up before.  Anyway, I would be hugely grateful if someone can look over and advise. Reading though other posts and on other cases that I've had help with from here, I don't think they have much of a case - given the weakness of much of their "evidence" - but obviously I would be grateful for some expert advice from the helpful souls on here.    Thank you.    B   Witness Oct19_redacted.pdf
    • You came here for advice, soem advice has been given adn you question the validity and source of that advice. We are all lay peopele, ie not giving professional advice but it is based on experience of the world and in some cases working in the field that advice is given on. Now you dont have to take our advice, we wont get the huff if you prefer to look elsewhere or do something else. when I asked what you think they would do with your NI number it is to prod you to think for yourself and question why they would ask for this when there is nothing legal they can do with the information so wouild you be wnating to give it to them knowing that they would want it to break the law if they processed it. Now you can take that up with the company at the top but TBH unless you want to spend money on a lawyer they will not answer the question or fob you off with some ridiculous answer anyway.   so for the moment read a lot about  RLP and similar situations to yours ans make particular note of what happened to the peopel in the end. You will find no threads theat ended by saying " thanks to you I gor sued by RLP and owe them a fortune". It isnt going to happen and the reasons why are explained in many threads. They rely on your feeling of guilt to get anywhere
    • you need to respond to their letter saying that you belive that you ahve been paid correctly ( or underpaid if you are due a small amount of accrued holiday pay etc) and demand that they show a full account of what you received, when and why and how they arrived at this figure. You then reconcile that with your P45 and use the figures to bat off any furhter demands if they still akke one. Come back if they dotn drop the matter and give us the full breakdown on hours worked, hourly rate, gross pay, tax paid  etc
    • @dx100ukI never got a response to my SAR from Octopus.   But I have just received a 'letter before court action' from one of their legal representatives, who have been "instructed to consider legal action against [me] if full payment, a settlement or your proposals to make suitable repayments arrangements are not received in the next 30 days."   I'm reading the threads now. Any advice on how to proceed? 
    • I would say let them do their worst, it will surely backfire on them. Now with restrictive contracts that stop you working fro competitors- these are notoriously vague so often not worth the paper they are written on. also they have to be fair so for example if there are only 2 companies in the UK that make a certain product your employer cant say you arent allowed to work for the other one. If you were for example trained as a hairdersser and you were going to open a salon in the next street to your ex employer then the restriction would apply if worded correctly. Dont panic about this, your new employer will be au fait with the situation and time spent worrying about a nastly letter will in their eyes take you eye off the ball so concentrate on the new job.
  • Our picks

chaoticj

Interpretation of will re: house contents

Hi,

My wifes nan sadly passed away, my wife is a co-executor of her nans will along with her mother (nans daughter).

We removed an item of sentimental value which would be considered an ornament from nans house due to wifes mother inferring items may be cleared. Since before/particularly after then, wifes mother seems to have plans to take most items of value.

Hoping someone may be able to help on interpreting the will please. We were under the impression from point 5 that all of the house contents were being passed to my wife to do with as she sees fit, in particular the named item types and that point 6 refers to savings and investments being pooled and split 50-50. However my wifes mother interprets point 6 as also meaning the non named item types inc. the items of value (jewellery, tech etc.) are to be sold (despite her having plans to take some of these for her own use).

Just wondering if it's clear cut or ambiguous in the context of the whole will.

Thanks in advance.

Will-Transcribed.jpg

Hi. I'm sorry about the loss of your wife's nan.

I'm wondering if this might hinge on the interpretation of what 'property' means if it isn't bricks and mortar. [I'm not saying I know the answer.]

To me, ornaments and articles seem to mean other items in the house. You could need a quick bit of advice from a lawyer for this unless people here are able to comment.

In my experience and others here, people seem to play fast and loose with the property of the deceased if they think they can get away with it, but I would say that removing valuable items without at least declaring them for probate is an unwise thing to do.

Hopefully you will have other comments.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi,

Thanks for the reply honeybee13.

We have been told by a friend when a solicitor is advised a client has passed away they usually arrange a meeting with the executors to clarify the will points - is this correct?

If we were to ask the solicitor for a copy of the notes from when the will was created, how likely is it they would provide?

We have read about a Larke v Nugus request. Would that approach be too heavy handed?

Many thanks.

I think point 5 is quite clear, everything in the home.

you are quite within your rights to take whatever measures you feel fit to secure any item from doing a walkies.

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Sorry to hear about your loss.

When someone dies it is usual for the Executors to remove items of value (including sentimental value) from the house for safekeeping. That shouldn't mean the Executor who removes them is planning to keep them for themself, only that they items have been moved to a safe place while the Estate is dealt with. Executors have a duty to safeguard items this way and not leave valuables in an empty house. Doing this doesn't affect where the items ultimately end up, that is as set out in the Will.  Joint Executors should agree the removal though, each should know and agree what the other is doing.

My reading of this (I am not a lawyer but have been Executor a number of times) is that para 4 relates to the house - the buildings and land - para 5 covers all the contents of the house and para 6 everything else the deceased owned at death (eg cash and savings that aren't covered by para 3, or other houses/flats she owned).

Executors don't normally have a meeting with the solicitors who drew up the Will unless they are planning to appoint the solicitor to act for them in dealing with the Estate. Are they? Or are the 2 Executors going to do it themselves? Have they been granted Probate yet? If they ask the same solicitor to act for them they will get the Will interpreted by default!

In the Will there are only 2 beneficiaries, and they are also the 2 Executors. So from a practical point of view if the two of them agree to share out the personal effects in a particular way instead of selling them and dividing up the cash 50/50 that is fine because there is nobody else with a legal right to challenge what they have done. Just make sure whatever they agree they confirm in writing to each other.

Sorry to butt in - I'm not a lawyer (so this contribution may be worthless!)  but am interested in wills at the moment.

I'm assuming that the will was drawn up by a solicitor and that the clauses used are standard ones, but is there not a lack of clarity in clauses 5 and 6?

What I'm thinking about is clause 5 refers to personal effects "...not otherwise disposed of by this my Will..."  Could it be argued that the effects referred to in 5 are "...otherwise disposed of..." in clause 6?

I'm assuming that I must be wrong as the wording must be standard, but I don't see the purpose of that phrasing in clause 5 and why it should be necessary.  To my simple understanding the will is clearer without that wording(?).

No doubt I'm wrong and probably wasting everybody's time!

I (not a lawyer either!) also think they are not as clear as they could be and assume they are standard clauses and the various words in them - "effects" for example - have had their meanings decided by courts over the years. The Will drafter has used a standard wording and included the phrase "...not otherwise disposed of by this my Will..." even though in this case nothing has been "... otherwise disposed of ..." . The reason for leaving it in is probably because the Will could have been altered later by adding a Codicil to leave some specified items to someone else.

I doubt clause 6 could be interpreted the way you suggest. Personally I'd expect a court to interpret clauses dealing with specific assets of the deceased to be interpreted before the clause dealing with the residue. Otherwise you end up with a very circular interpretation!

Posted (edited)

Yes.

I'm not a "lawyer" except insofar as I have two law degrees from 40 years ago!  Never used the qualifications professionally though.

I too am sure it is standard "boiler-plate" wording, but my lay-man's interpretation is that "...not otherwise disposed of in the preceding clauses 3 and 4 of this my Will..." would have been clearer and not open to any doubt.

Edited by Manxman in exile
Added final six words