Bailiff and council tax help needed please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1823 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please anyone advice me on what I need to do.

Just had a bailiff at the door

I don’t know from what company

he just asked for me and then told me I had 3 warrants out in my name and I have 5 days to pay or I’m being taken to court.

Well that was it for me I don’t remember any of the conversation after that anxiety hit me like a brick I am sufferer also with depression.

I do remember telling him I’m on universal credit.

He asked for proof I showed him 

I’ve never worked always been on family credit

I care for my disabled son. Who receives DLA

apparently I’ve no council tax relief in place

I should of applied when they switched me from tax credits to universal

didn’t know this

I feel so sick and trying to calm down

sorry if this doesn’t make sense 

Ive had no ctax relief since October

before that when I was on tax credits and I worked briefly for 3 months but had to stop due to my son not coping that was December 17

I put in a claim but told because I had my own business even though not earning from it I could not claim relief

I’ve managed to run up arrears

I don’t have the money to pay

I’ve rent arrears and possible eviction I’m dealing with

struggling to cope my husband just come out of bankruptcy where we were assessed to not having enough to live off.

He works but doesn’t earn a lot

our main income is benefits

he has anxiety disorder also

I don’t know if I’ve received letters because I just don’t open my mail anymore

i just can’t face it

it’s my fault I’m in the mess I’m in

I just need to know what to do next and try deal with it best I can.

He said I could go to prison if I don’t pay in 5 days thats not an option.

My son wouldn’t cope well with that and wouldn’t help my own anxiety worrying about him. 

Thanks for any help offered. 

Ok, listen to me, I was 5 k behind in council tax, and had the same problems as you.

The prison thing is nonsense, firstly.. if it was true they would be overflowing.

Email and phone call to your local councillor / elected head of council right now, explaining your situation, i mean everything. They will have this sorted out in a few hours

Plus, you send a doctors / consultants note to your council tax collections department, telling them to back off.  When my wife was on chemo, we had these idiots knocking at the door, this is exactly what i did, the bailiffs were taken off the case and all charges cancelled.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you soon as I calmed myself down and look into who I should email. I don’t take medication at the moment I used to I try to mange without and been doing good although thinking I’m needing it right now my husband does and my son has extreme anxiety due to his autism so glad he isn’t here right now 

Ok,

No need to be worried, trust me.  Make sure you explain everything to your local councillor, copy in the head of council.  They have absolute power over collections and Bailiffs.  Please do this today, for a quick resolution. Let us know what happens.

In fact if you Google, you councillors , they should have mobile numbers etc. Call them also, that's what they are there for.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Make sure you ask the council for an application for Council Tax relief, and ask them to backdate (they might consider a backdate if your local council member is kicking their backsides) also wonder if Capita are running the Revenue back office for that council  What council is it?

Edited by brassnecked

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Ok emailed councillor not sure if I made sense I’m still all over the place explained best I could so I guess I just wait now

thanks so much the prison but made me spiral a lot you’ve put my mind at rest thank you again 

Wait 48 hours, then re send the email to follow up. Also make sure that at some point you complain about them threatening you with prison, that can wait for now though.

Edited by London1971