Dukes Baliffs old CTX arrears***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1776 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I hope some of you wise people can give me some advice. I received a 3 x notices of enforcement on the 29th March.

they total £2,018.74.  which I think include fees (the £75 was mentioned on each letter)

I have no recollection of these liability orders, but do know that we had terrible financial problems 2005-2008.

I have always been on the electrol roll and wonder why they have chosen now to get in touch.

I have been in regular email contact with Dukes, I have informed them that I am on income support and carers allowance at the moment and home educate

my 2 children, one who has a disability. I offered them £10 a week, but they emailed back with a income/ expenditure form because of the size of the debt.

Ive also emailed the council 3 times but no response.

Im just not sure what to do next, I was a bit worried about going straight ahead with filling in the income form etc as Id rather try to get the debt sent back to the council.

Any advice most welcome.

sadly that might no happen.

always best to ring the council then WRITE

but they will be closed now till Tuesday.

you need to check with them when the liability orders were gains on all 3.

if they were not gained within 6yrs of  'owing' then they are barred now.

yo are lucky the bailiff has not attended again

as he'll add £235 to each debt

though im not sure he can do that for multiple NOE's at the same time?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

As DX says ring the Authority and find out when the LIability orders were issued. They are barred from acquiring one after six years under the Council Tax Regs.

Also, if the LO was issued over six years ago, they will be barred from enforcing until they obtain the permission of the court.

If the EA has more than one Warrant to enforce at the same time he should only levy the one fee.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Thanks for the replies. I have already asked for a breakdown from Dukes, this is what they sent me.

£876.33 – 1st April 2005- 31st March 2006 - issued  - 27/06/2005

£634.16 – 1st April 2007 – 20th Jan 2008 - issued - 26/11/2007

£508.25 – 1st April 2004 – 31st March 2005   - issued  -  24/01/2005

83.2  CPR

(1)  This rule applies to—

(a) writs and warrants of control;

(b) writs of execution;

(c) warrants of delivery;

(d) warrants of possession.

(2) A writ or warrant to which this rule applies is referred to in this rule as a 'relevant writ or warrant'.

(3) A relevant writ or warrant must not be issued without the permission of the court where—

(a) six years or more have elapsed since the date of the judgment or order;

This is from the Civil procedure rules. I would ring the council in the first instance, although they may just refer you to the Bailiff. Just ask when permission from the court under section 83.2 CPR was obtained.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

so he cant charges 3*£75

nor 3*£235!

aw that's a shame dukes!!

trying to fleece you

do you know the values of the LO's from THE COUNCIL.

not via dukes?

see if they've added unlawful fees?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Also, mention section 9 of the taking control of goods regulations. This limits the period a warrant may be applied to twelve months.

Time limit for taking control of goods

9.—(1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (3), the enforcement agent may not take control of goods of the debtor after the expiry of a period of 12 months beginning with the date of notice of enforcement.

This may be more apposite if you have received a notice of enforcement at the dates quoted.

If you are successful in getting through to the council, tell them you are not trying to avoid the debt and would be happy to commence a repayment plan with them(the authority) immediately.

I've been emailing the council, as I wanted to avoid phoning and keep copies of emails. I will phone the council on Tuesday. Should I still do the income/expenditure form as that is due 24th April? I have not had a home visit yet.

Thats the info they gave me when I asked for a breakdown of the debt, no splitting to shoe their fees. The notice of enforcement gave debt + 75. So the debts written on the letter were £801.30,  £433.25, and £559.16

9 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

so he cant charges 3*£75

nor 3*£235!

aw that's a shame dukes!!

trying to fleece you

do you know the values of the LO's from THE COUNCIL.

not via dukes?

see if they've added unlawful fees?

No sorry DX, should have been clearer. He can charge the compliance(£75) three times, but the enforcement fee just once, that is, if it is reasonable for him to attend at the same time for all warrants.

2 minutes ago, mamt35 said:

I've been emailing the council, as I wanted to avoid phoning and keep copies of emails. I will phone the council on Tuesday. Should I still do the income/expenditure form as that is due 24th April? I have not had a home visit yet.

Thats the info they gave me when I asked for a breakdown of the debt, no splitting to shoe their fees. The notice of enforcement gave debt + 75. So the debts written on the letter were £801.30,  £433.25, and £559.16

How long have they given you to send the form back? The statutory period is seven days but many EA's give you more.

Just some basic things about CTax bailiffs you probably already know.

They have no powers to force entry, however, they can gain access through an unlocked door or take goods from the garden. They can call on any day of the year between 6 am and 9 pm.

If the Bailiff does not collect,  and the warrant is returned to the council all fees will disappear and you will be left with just the original debt.

So if you did nothing and you are happy for the threat of the Bailiff calling for up to twelve months you could just "sit it out" and eventually you may get away with just paying the council the original debt without fees. Many subscribe to this course of action.

The downside is,  for the period mentioned there is the continual threat of the bailiff calling and all the stress that goes with it. in addition most importantly, the authority, on the return of the warrant may just pass it to another bailiff.

So perhaps over the weekend, you could decide which path you want to pursue. 

I don't want to persuade you either way but personally, I would rather just get it sorted, (With the authority if possible) and get on with the important stuff in my life :).

Thanks for the advice,

I will call the council Tuesday morning and see what they say, and then send the I/E form.

Something doesn't sit right with me on the whole thing. 

I found an email I had sent to my MP early 2008 detailing the problems we were having with tax credits, and I go into great detail of our situation and  employment history.

Work was sporadical and I am pretty sure we were on benefits throughout one of those whole periods

(I even had a post on here about the bank charges problem)

In fact most of those time periods mentioned in post 4 there was little work.

Worst 2 years of our lives!

I dont know how to find records of benefits though for that long ago.

if you go to the dwp website there is an online SAR you can fill in to get all the details.

here is your old thread mentioned above

and they

Email and call your local elected councillor,/ elected head of council. There is a better than 50 % chance that they will be able to sort this out immediately, in fact considering your circumstances, 90%.  They will also likely be working over the long weekend. You should be able to find their email / mobile number on Google.

Your local councillor will have the immediatee power to stop this in it's tracks, and can overide any obnoxious Council tax employee, or Bailiff.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I didnt contact the council in the end, just went straight to the MP that had helped me with the earlier issues. He is contacting the people connected with debt recovery at the council. I will report here what happens next. Waiting for Dukes to get back to me after I&E offer. I doubt they will accept it anyway. They have asked me for evidence of vulnerability, ive answered that asking what evidence they require as proof. 

Good move

As for the vulnerability, doctors / or consultant note would do it, in terms of your child's disability.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I think,  in regards to the EA, he would be more interested in the bill payers vulnerability.

I don't think the family member would be relevant to the enforcement. Unless you could show that it caused the bill payer such trauma that they cannot handle their finances, V unlikely I am afraid.

Not to say it is not worth mentioning, there may be someone at the council with a more compassionate view.

Thanks for the replies The vulnerability is about them coming to the house with my son there, not the debt/payments itself, ive already told them that I am fully aware that I need to continue dealing with them until this is all sorted out.

I am clarifying/disputing the debt with the council not with Dukes as I dont think they can do much about it their end anyway unless the council tells them to stop.

I am sorry but your child's vulnerability will have no effect on the action by the EA.

Whether he is there or not, only if he were there alone.

The TCE act is quite clear just the debtor, sorry to say.

I'm not so sure, especially if he pushes via the local councillor route, or even if his MP get's involved.  A note from a medical professional explaining symptoms, medications makes a huge difference, plus the OP is on income support.

I think if he does this he can have the debt handed back to the council, maybe on a token payment plan for 6 months.

Councils are very wary of pushing families over the edge, it's a hell of a lot cheaper for them to take a hit on the council tax than be forced to re house an evicted family, because they can't pay their rent.  

We are already in the vulnerable catergory.

im a full-time carer for my son (technically unemployed on income support with carers allowance)

My partner is what is called 'economically inactive' at the moment,

he has a back problem that made him unable to work (was self-employed in construction )

he is about to start a maths degree course with OU to retrain as a private maths tutor to the home education community.

He gets no benefits .

we are in the 'unemployed' category.

My son adds to the 'complications' as he has high anxiety for anyone coming in (even family has to be well prepared for).

Look, all I want is for them not to turn up,

it would cause me more than its worth,

my son would freak out at some strangers coming in and walking around.

Ive made it quite clear to them this is my only wish where they are concerned,

ive said all other areas are open for communication, email etc.

who says you are in the vulnerability category?

bailiffs cant 'just come in'

there is NO right of forced entry on CTAX debts.

you don't have to interact with them at all.

simply ignore them totally and they will go away.

[in respect to what you have been advised here already]

dx

and they

Yes I know,

but my house often has doors open,

I really don't want all the hassle of looking over my shoulder.

My house is my childrens place of education too, they go in the garden etc.

As for the category, it says that unemployed people are to be considered in that category in the TCE