• Tweets

• Thank you.  Threads that point to success - or to mistakes - are very useful for motorists that will come on here in the future.   What you have done is utter insanity.  Despite being given on a plate two threads where motorists beat Athena in the same week as your case you've gone and handed over money to the fleecers.  It doesn't take much to work out that (a) not handing over money you don't owe to conmen is a better strategy than (b) handing over money you don't owe to conmen then trying to get it back.   The amount was never "going up" from £45 to £90 because it was never £45 in the first place.  It was always £0.  You were being charged for overstaying by eight seconds which is legally "de minimis" ("the law does not deal with trivialities").  You couldn't read Athena's signs anyway as the car park was pitch black!  Etc.  Etc.   Athena's position will be that you admitted the debt (otherwise why did you pay it?)  I hope chargeback goes well but often it's a battle to get banks to carry out chargeback and they will understandably be bemused as to why you paid this money if you thought you didn't owe it.  Bluntly you've just made life a million times harder for no reason.  It's like a football team manager who instructs the players to score two own goals in the first minute and then try to win the game.     That said, go for chargeback and good luck.
    • Same reason Councils like to use Agency workers at sharp end.
    • Not a fan of outsourcing in general, as I think control is lost.  And the companies used, can have problems meeting the standards required, as HB states above.    But I can see why it is attractive, as then Government department or principal company does not have additional staff with pensions and all of the other costs.   If you needed say 200 staff to cover work that would last a year, it can make sense to outsource the work, depending on what is required.    
    • That's what gets me, BN, unless these three companies have a monopoly between them.   At least two of them have been fined or had financial penalties for messing up, haven't they? And yet they still get the next job, possibly with no tendering in the current climate.
    • An update! I took all the advice, Social media, contacted the cottage direct ( mail and letter) sent an email to the CEO and the UK Director of customer service Booking.com, Halifax re charge back.   Oddly, this morning Kalvin got a text message saying they tried to contact him months ago ( yeah right) offering him a refund or alternative accommodation!!  So, to keep inline with data protection ( that was mentioned in the text) they can only reply to him.   Offered his money back or another date. He agreed to a refund within the next 7 days.   I really appreciate all of your input and I will gladly make a donation to your good work many thanks again,   Paul
  • Our picks

• @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 6 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Received a Red Letter for Council Tax but no Previous Letters Requesting Payment?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 518 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Received a demand notice for council tax today, demanding some payment by Monday!!! or I will lose my right to pay in installments etc...

I am dealing with arrears and was awaiting a bill from the council regarding this years council tax so I could renogotiate with the debt collectors.

But I didn't receive anything!

So I managed to speak to someone today by phone and email and they are both say they wont accept my offer of a 12 month payment structure UNLESS I SET UP A Direct Debit.

I'm (probably) going to set that up next week and (probably) going to pay them an installment this weekend, however I would like to know what rights I have with regards to this; if there are any possible laws I could pull out of somewhere that I could potentially use to write off my debt to the council for this year on grounds of something?

I have told them by email they are in no position to demand anything from me at this point, because I never received any letter asking for payment in the first instance (which I would assume legally negates any power they can exercise through the current final demand letter they just sent me). I told them either accept my offer (pending any further arrangment for payment) or I will assume that I owe them nothing for this year.

I can't prove I didn'r receive the letter though, but I honestly didn't. They can't prove I did receive it either.

So my question is (pending any further payments and negotiations) is there a nice little legal loophole I can use to get out of paying council tax for this year on the above grounds?

I guess not (probably) but worth a punt anyway.

Council Tax starts up again from 1st April every year and Council send out a Council Tax bill about 2 weeks before this.  

If you don't arrange monthly payment in April, Councils can ask for the full years amount. 

Just because you say you did not receive the bill does not mean that you do not owe it. If they took this to Court they would just state that it was posted on x date. They don't have to prove sending it out or it being delivered.  No point fighting this, as Councils tend to hold all of the cards. 

I pay my Council Tax online on my Councils website each month, as I don't like having too many Direct Debits. 

Suggest that you make a payment for the first month if you can and deal with any issues with the Council afterwards.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I was waiting for the letter but wasn't sure when it would arrive because in previous years I've just ignored the letters and left them unopened.

I am going to deal with this, but let's just say I'm get tired of being sent threatening letters for payment of something before I even get a flipping chance to pay it, and wish to stand up to the establishment in whatever small way I can.

I think there is some law somewhere that means that a company / authority are unable to restrict payment methods and a lot of companies make (DCAs especially)  many payment methods available. 

Why not raise a formal complaint in writing to the council and get everything clarified? 

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

• 2 weeks later...

So I managed to speak to someone today by phone and email and they are both say they wont accept my offer of a 12 month payment structure UNLESS I SET UP A Direct Debit. 

Assuming you're in England then they cannot refuse the change to 12 instalments (pro rata) unless you've already lost the right to pay by instalments. Legislation does not provide for a restriction to any particular payment method -  if it was to be restricted it would have been provided for in the relevant schedule to the Admin & Enforcement Regulations.

Edited by ss002d6252