BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• So here is where things stand at the moment (sorry it's a very long post!):   I moved into this property in November.  I contacted both my electric and gas suppliers to change address and get my accounts moved over.   Electric - I closed my old account from my previous address, opened a new account for this address, set up a direct debit and requested they become the supplier.  The only thing that was outstanding on the account was a discussion about tariffs.  On 21st November they tried to call me but I didn't answer (judging from the time I was probably driving home from work).  I received a payment from them at the end of November from my previous account (which I clearly didn't check as I thought it was money going out for my direct debit).  I incorrectly assumed the call was about tariffs, which tbh, I'm not really fussed about. Their request to become the supplier was rejected but they didn't follow up on it or try to contact me again.  So I, like an idiot, thought it was all sorted out.  It's only now that I've been through my account that I realise they haven't been taking payments. I have spoken to them since Friday and the above is what they have told me has happened.   Gas - I closed my old account and have been trying to get a new account opened since November.  I have had several discussions with them re: the change request being rejected and they didn't know why it was being rejected but to leave it with them.  They told me at the beginning of this month it would be done by the 21st January.  During this phone call they said I could call the current supplier to make sure it goes smoothly but that it wasn't essential as they expected it to be completed by the 21st.  Last week they sent me a final demand for my previous address.  I contacted them to raise a complaint as I thought they were at fault, as I expected it to have been changed as per the above.   I spoke to them on Saturday and have sorted out my final bill and they have advised me to open accounts with the current supplier, Spark, clear them and then I can switch. Interestingly they also told me that Spark went bust in 2018 and it is a company called Ovo who are on the national database as the gas supplier.   Spark - This is the company who changed the meters on Friday.  I have two letters (one for gas, one for electric) that were left with the smart meter they had plugged in in the kitchen, both addressed to the previous tenant.  I obviously did open these on Friday.  Both letters state that they had changed the meters to prepayment meters.  There are several boxes that list current debt, amount of credit on meters etc none of which are filled in.  They also state that a booklet has been left explaining how the smart meter works.  There was no booklet. When I contacted them on Friday they told me that I was in fact on credit meters (I don't know if they changed this remotely when they realised I wasn't the person with the debt).  They also told me they had every right to enter the property and aren't able to check every time who the current occupant is and I should have told them I'd moved in.  I was told that someone would call me at 1pm on Saturday to discuss my complaint, thus far no one has called me.   I spoke with citizen's advice yesterday who really weren't much help tbh.  They said I should have contacted the current supplier when I moved in and provided a copy of my tenancy agreement.  I've moved A LOT over the years and have never had to do this.  I have checked several energy supplier websites and they all state to switch to them or move home simply to contact them and they will basically do the rest, not one of them states that you need to call the current supplier... obviously, on reflection I really wish I had!   My letting agent/landlord have requested that I take any post for the previous tenant to them and they will return it.  They also want confirmation of what type of meter (prepayment or credit) is now in the house.  The locks were changed when I moved in so only myself, the letting agent and the landlord have a key.  None of us let them in on Friday.     My next step is to open accounts with Spark/Ovo, clear the balances since November and then change suppliers.    All of the above have advised me to follow Spark's complaint procedure which I will do but as I said above they haven't contacted me so far re: the complaint I made on Friday.   Should I also contact Marston's to raise a complaint with them?   Whilst in all of this I do appreciate I could have done a fair bit to have made my life easier and probably prevented this happening (hindsight is wonderful!) my main complaint is that neither Spark nor Marston's felt they needed to perform a very simple check and see who actually lives in the property before breaking in.  I cannot for the life of me see how this is acceptable or legal.  Whilst they had the legal right and a warrant to enter the previous tenant's property as far as I am concerned they had no right to enter mine.    
    • I am in the process of looking on the land registry and it's showing on there alongside Lloyds bank,am going to look at deeds aswell  
    • Just a note that these appeal Trade Associations, are bodies these fleecers belong to so they are allowed to operate, appeals almost always fail, and by appealing important protections under POFA are lost as the appeal almost always identifies the driver.  Irrelevant in your case as you own the space, and the PPC have no rights in law over it.  POPLA appeal could also fail as POPLA wouldn't look at primacy of contract and the fact you own the space so can tell the PPC to Foxtrot Oscar. Whole Private Parking Industry is a money machine for unscrupulous ex cowboy clampers.
    • If you have insufficient evidence to support the claim, it is very difficult.   No point going to any Personal Injury Solicitors, as they are going to ask you questions to determine how easy it is to win compensation and for them to earn money.    Given lack of evidence and that you are unlikely to receive help from those who just seek to earn from the incidents, I can only suggest that you write to the HR Director/Manager to make a complaint. Do not say anything about looking to take them to Court for personal injury.  Stick to the facts about what happened and the way it was dealt with.  Ask for copies of the incident/accident report forms that should have been completed by the line manager responsible.
    • My point was that the fear being generated is disproportionate to the current threat. Initial under reporting of cases gave an inflated picture of the percentage death rate and images of cities in lockdown do look like a disaster movie so I understand why. This article is worth a read for some perspective. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/27/what-is-coronavirus-symptoms-sars-china-wuhan          
  • Our picks

Lukather

Backdoor Cabot/Mortimer CCJ - old Vanquis Card debt - old AEO now +6mts old and struck out..keep chasing me

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 269 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello All - hope you can help

Cabot Financial - Mortimer Clarke Solicitors

I have been contacted over the last 10 days by both companies regarding an outstanding credit card debt of around £3500 from about 2012.

I'm living on my own, fell into a financial black hole around 2011/12 and have been struggling ever since

- I'm now trying to survive on Universal Credit. 

Mortimer Clarke Solicitors contacted me by letter about a week ago with an income/expenditure form giving me 14 days to reply.

The letter stated they are acting on behalf of Cabot Financial and also said - 

'We have been told that a CCJ was obtained in relation to this debt but you have not been repaying this on a regular basis.

We would like to talk to you about this because payments now need to be made to us.'

Then I received a letter from Cabot Financial today -

'Welcome back to Cabot'

- Your account has been returned to us from our solicitors where a CCJ was obtained.
It then gives some information about CCJs and credit file recovery and asks me to contact them to arrange a payment plan.

I'm not sure what to do next about these letters.

I haven't made a payment or contacted the credit card company since around 2012 (just buried my head in the sand).

I've read that there is a time limit of around 6 years on this type of debt but not sure.

Would appreciate any advice thanks

Have you checked there is a ccj

we've seen several letters by this lot whereby it was an admin error.

There was no ccj.

Check your credit file

Ok

- thanks for the advice

- I will apply for a credit report and check that there is one for this company.

Any idea what I do next if they are correct and there is a CCJ  on my account?

do it online now for free

noddle

clearscore

etc etc

they are all now free

dx

Thanks for your update 

- I've just signed up with Clearscore

- looking at my April 2019 report option now

- can see only 1 CCJ on my account.

It is for £3393 - dated 10 November 2015 and is 'Discharged - undefined'  - not sure what that means. 

The letters suggest that the CCJ has just been obtained

- maybe it hasn't been added yet or are they not telling the whole story?

Any advice as to what to do next thanks ? 

are all of your addresses old and new showing under linked addresses etc etc.

sounding like another admin error on their behalf

dx

Thanks dx - have lived at same address for over 10 years

- checked and no other addresses on report

- not sure what to do now

- just ignore letters and hope that's the end of it as at the moment I am unemployed/universal credit and have no way of paying this debt 

- thanks again 

who says you need too?

you could try trustonline.org

using your current address

that's the definitive court listing

Thanks dx

- Have looked at trustonline as suggested

- looks like £6 to search your records

- money I don't have at the minute.

Had a look around this site this morning

- as I haven't made a payment or contacted the company since around 2012

- they may have ran out of time to claim money from me.

Will have to sit tight and hope for the best 

- thanks again dx

Yes, the debt may well be SB but if they take you to court and you dont defend they still get a CCJ.

So what was the other CCJ matter about if not this crowd? You will have got the paperwork so did you look at it and respond?

Hello ericsbrother

- the CCJ awarded in 2015 is for exactly the same amount that they are claiming for in their recent CCJ awarded letters

- it can really only be for the same credit card.

Unfortunately, I just ignored any letters received in 2015. 

I've checked my credit file again today and no new CCJ's have been added and there are no new upcoming changes

- so not sure how they can claim they have recently obtained a CCJ. 

I'm not sure what to do next when trying to fight my corner.

I've read if I contact these companies then the clock starts ticking again and they have a further 6 years to chase me.
I would appreciate any advice

- thanks

no it cant 'start again' you have a CCJ it cannot be statute barred.

pers id do nothing yet.

Thanks for the update dx

- I was panicking about these 2 letters

- rather than ignoring them like a few years ago

- I thought I would try and be more proactive and sort them out much earlier.

Will take your advice and wait for any further letters 

- thanks dx 

a dca has no more legal powers than you or I...…………………..

The CCJ, was issued in Nov 2015, so they still are within the 6 years to enforce.

It doesn't seem very much like any CCJ enforcing letter that I have received before eg threatening taking control of goods etc.

I think it's best to ignore, wait and see if anything else comes through.Then run it past here.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hello London1971 - Thanks for the info and advice - hopefully I won't hear anything more from either of them. 

Edited by Lukather
typos

Hello all

- I've received another letter from Mortimer Clarke Solicitors over the weekend asking me again to complete an income/expenditure form within the next 14 days and to include an offer of payment.

Letter states:
We wrote to you recently regarding your outstanding balance with 'credit card company'

We were hoping to talk to you about your circumstances and arranging a repayment plan but we have not heard from you.

It's important that you address the outstanding balance and we want to give you an opportunity to tell us about your current circumstances and agree an affordable payment arrangement.

What does it mean to me?
A CCJ was made and it's important that you do not ignore this.

We want to help you address this debt so please contact us in the next 14 days.

If we don't hear from you, we will ask our client what they want to do next.

I've checked my credit file again and nothing new has been added

- just the 1 CCJ from 2015.

Not sure

' we will ask our client what they want to do next.'

means - would appreciate any advice

- thanks

could be anything ..more scary letters.

pers i'd let this run.

Let ir run. Youd get a letter from the court if they actually applied for an AOE. 

Theyre trying to bluff you and negotiate out of court, as they always do, to try and get things on THEIR terms, not the right ones.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks for your replies dx and renegadeimp

Since posting this morning I have managed to find a couple of Court letters related to the CCJ awarded against me in 2015 (the case references match up.) I had contacted the court to state I was unemployed via a N56 statement of means form.

The last letter dated Sept 2016 from the court is a General Form of Judgement or Order it says :

It is ordered that:
The application for attachment of earnings is adjourned generally with liberty to restore, but if there is no application to restore within 6 months it will be and is hereby struck out.

Not 100% sure what the above means but could it mean that they have missed their chance to enforce anything? - thanks

so AEO is struck out , not a lot more they can do to yo u

hence the repeated begging letters.

what was the debt?

topic title updated

moved to legal forum

Thanks dx - the debt was for a credit card

Not sure what OC means - debt was to Vanquis