style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1830 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - we signed the lease for our rent house on 02 April 2007 just before the new law came where deposits had to be paid in to government tenancy deposit schemes.  I did query this with the estate agent and they advised this has not been done due to use signing the lease before the law came into effect, although we did only move into the house a week later.  We paid rent to the estate agent for the first year to the estate agent but when our lease was up for renewal landlord ditched the estate agent and we paid them directly.  We did not sign another lease.

My queries are:

Does my landlord have to put my deposit into the government scheme as I would presume my deposit was given to the landlord.

What are our rights as we have no lease, ie how much notice do we need to give are all the conditions in the original lease (although long time expired) still valid.

Does the government scheme work on an interest basis, ie would my deposit be gaining interest as we have been in the house 12 years now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sharon

original lease terms still valid as they havent been changed. I assume that you are now on a rolling contract (periodic tenancy) if the original terms were for an AST.

No you dotn get any interest on the deposit unless that sum is more than £100 a year and with interest rates at 1% you would need to have put down a deposit of £10k to get £100 interest

are you still paying the same rent as you were in 2007? If not then you should have been offered a new tenancya dn the deposit put into a recognised scheme as soon as possible

Hi thank you so much for reply.  Yes we are still paying the same rent.  So just to confirm if they decide to increase the rent then our deposit would be put into deposit scheme.

We are also having an issue with mice at the moment they have somehow made it into our loft.  There is a piece of open land behind us (belongs to the landlord), we have had them inside (the pantry of all places) but managed to put traps down.  How they got into the loft I have no idea.  Have advised the landlord and they have told us that we need to get a company to come in and get rid of them, however if they are coming in from the piece of land behind us would that still be our problem or theirs as its their land?

Thanks again

Sharon

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

regarding the mice. If you keep your house in order so as not to encourage them it is the landlords responsibility. The fact he owns the land they come from is irrelevant BUT it will ake the council's job easier when you report the infestation to them from that land. dont allow the common ownership cloud the process, they are separate matters