Waksi

Advice Needed Please - DWF

Hi,

I'm just after a bit of advice please and may not be on the correct sub forum.  I guess at this stage I'm just looking at how to proceed?

Yesterday I received a missed call and noticed a voicemail message to ring DWF Solicitors quoting a case reference number.  I did call back and went through to an answering machine and left my name and number to contact me back.  I still haven't received a call back as of yet.

I couldn't think what this call could relate to and have just checked on the internet and noticed DWF deal with many retail outlets.

The only thing I can imagine is that this relates to an accident that occurred around this time last year at a well known supermarket.  I lived a few minutes away from this super market and would shop there regularly; parking near enough the same spot every time.  However, on one evening, I was asked to pick a few items up for a company that I was working for and had use of the company van (I was insured under business insurance) anyhow on entering the car park and not thinking, I drove towards the same area of the car park where I usually park and hit the overhead barrier causing damage to the van and the barrier.  

I immediately parked up and went inside to inform the staff and provided my personal details and phone number.  They also took pictures of the van (which stated the business name and reg plate).  I was told the store manager wasn't in but would contact me but has never done so.  I informed my boss who said to do nothing else and that he'd wait for a response from the store but has never heard anything from them.

Months after I too heard nothing and have since moved address, I have repeatedly checked for old post (every few months since I left) and have changed all correspondence addresses over and since this call have again contacted the occupants to my old home for any letters I may have received, however, they're not getting back to me.  

I guess I'm concerned from reading around these posts regarding DWF, that the supermarket have used their insurance to resolve the barrier and have now passed the matter to DWF as debt to chase up?  I'm also concerned about gaining a CCJ against my name without me knowing.

What should I do?  Keep ringing back until I get to speak to someone and if it relates to this incident do I give them the company details of whom I worked for/ ask them to write to me at my new personal address?

You will if you are acting in your employment at the time then I don't expect for a moment that there would be a CCG against you. It would be a claim against your employers and against their insurers.

Tell your employers that this has happened. Tell them in writing and frankly. Also you should probably write to the solicitors and give them your employers address and tell them that if they have anything to say or if they have any quotations or bills et cetera for repair work then they should send them to those employers. Even though you might ultimately have to put your hand in your pocket – there doesn't seem to be any reason to me why your name should be involved in this or why there should be any action against you – if you were employed at the time

Posted (edited)

Thanks BankFodder.  My boss is also my brother and have spoken to him again.  Said he'd rather settle this matter (if it does relate to this matter, without insurers) but he's not received anything.  He's happy for me to send them company details though, so have sent them a letter requesting what this matter relates to and to get in touch in writing.  I've also e-mailed them the same .

Edited by Waksi

Posted (edited)

there on company business the it is the company's problem to deal with. If DWF get back in touch you TELL them this and tell them not to contact you again as there is no personal liability, you were merely an agent on company business at the time.

Edited by ericsbrother