Hoseasons not give refund

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1807 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Are you claiming against a travel insurance policy or against Hoseasons directly?  I ask because the letter from Hoseasons that you've quoted seems to be about claiming a refund from Hoseasons directly under their standard booking conditions, not a claim against a travel insurance policy.

If a travel insurance policy is it one sold to you separately by Hoseasons or did you arrange it yourself?

If it's a travel insurance policy insurers will always require a medical certificate of some sort confirming the illness of your children and that in the GPs opinion they are not fit to travel. You only need the certificate for one of the children to say they are not fit to travel and that ought to cover you for cancelling for the whole family who were booked to travel together.

It's unlikely that the death of your daughter's sister in law is insured by your travel insurance policy cancellation cover. Cover applies to the death of a 'close relative' but polices always give a detailed definition of what they mean by 'close relative'. Check your own policy, but normally a daughter's sister in law isn't considered by insurers to be a 'close relative' so there is no cover.

Edited by Ethel Street

We took the insurance out with Hoseasons as it asks if you want cancellation insurance so paid for it to be added

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Hoseasons insurance policy has this definition of the relatives whose death entitles you claim for cancellation. It doesn't include your daughter's sister in law. Submit the claim anyway, with Death Certficate, you never know. But I doubt it will be covered.

Relative (means) Your    mother    (in-law),    father    (in-law),    step    parent    (in-law),        sister    (in-law),    brother    (in-law),    wife,    husband,    son    (in-law),    daughter    (in-law),    step    child,    foster    child,    grandparent,    grandchild,    uncle,    aunt,    nephew,    niece,    cousin,    partner    (including    common    law    and    civil    partnerships)    or    fiancé(e). 

A medical certificate for your grandchildren is more likely to be the route to getting a refund paid under the insurance policy. You won't get anything if you don't submit the medical certificate. The letter the GP gave you for the school will not be sufficient. Insurers need the GP to state expressly whether or not in their professional opinion your grandchildchild was fit to travel. That won't be in the letter to the school. Ask insurers for the claims form and medical certificate the GP needs to sign.

Edited by Ethel Street

thanks Ethel street,

the children are  actually my grandchildren so doubt their Doctor will give me a certificate, the letter my  daughter got for her child from the Doctor said to be kept off school etc until spot  had cleared, as you know Hand Foot and mouth and Chicken Pox are both contagious , at the time the Doctor was unsure which it was and now the child in question has come out in more  spots

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

So if your daughter already has a letter from the doctor, confirming that the children should be kept off school, then why can't you supply this as evidence to the Hoseason's insurance process?  Unless I am missing anything, that seems to be the obvious thing to do.

6 minutes ago, Vauban said:

So if your daughter already has a letter from the doctor, confirming that the children should be kept off school, then why can't you supply this as evidence to the Hoseason's insurance process?  

Because travel insurers will always require a statement of professional opinion from the doctor about whether the child was fit to travel. The letter for school is unlikely to mention fitness to travel to go on holiday. I can see that OP won't be able to get the necessary doctor's letter herself for her grandchildren, but surely she can ask her daughter to get it? I recommend though that OP checks with insurer whether they need GP to sign a specific form. Often insurers have their own medical certificate they want signed. Better to check that before approaching GP for another letter.

Edited by Ethel Street
  • Thanks 1

Well I think that one could reasonably infer that if, in the professional opinion of the doctor, a child is not fit for school and may present a risk of contagion, it can be reasonably inferred that the child is not fit to vacation for the same reasons.  There may be an additional cost to secure a second doctor's letter, so I would proceed with a copy of the letter to the school in the first instance.  It would be perverse, frankly, to suggest that a doctor's letter confirming a suspected prognosis of a contagious pox is somehow insufficient for the purpose of honouring the claim.  So I would just send that off - in the event that the insurers are difficult, then Snowdragon's daughter should be able to secure a further bespoke letter. 

• Thanks 1

The school actually phoned my daughter up to collect her little girl  from school as they said she looked ill and to take her to the Doctors

Reading the reviews on this company does not bode well as seems they are only interested in getting money from people and then refusing any help when things go wrong!

I can escalate my case with resolver in next 16 hours,  even if I get some of the money back it will help

Sandy xx

Well, my  granddaughter now has full blown  chicken pox:/ seems half her school have it as well

Sandy, do you have any medical documents to send to Hoseasons or their insurers? As other people have said, if you expect a refund it isn't unreasonable to ask for proof of some sort.

I hope your granddaughter recovers soon.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

hi HB, only  document    my daughter has is the one she got to show the school, they took  a photo copy of it

It was a letter  from the  Doctor for school stating  the child had to be kept  away from school until the spots/scabs had cleared up,   her school frown upon  bad  attendance and need letters etc

It feels like we’re going round in circles a bit here.  Can you confirm:

a) whether you have made a claim to the Hoseasons insurance policy yet (not a complaint to Hoseasons directly);

b) whether you have, or can get, a copy of the letter that the school photocopied, that could can send in with your insurance claim?

Everything else is just distraction, at the moment.

Hi Vauban

I have asked Hoseasons for a refund as  paid  them for the insurance and I can ask my daughter for a copy of the letter 

If you bought insurance you ought to have been given a policy document - that should tell you how to claim.

I’m pretty sure that it will be a different process than just writing to customer service.  The document might even have a special number to call for advice on how to submit your claim.

Do you have this paperwork?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hoseasons  have finally contacted me and are  sending a claim form, I have also obtained the Doctors letter from my daughter

• 2 weeks later...

" UPDATE"

Thank you for your email. 
I have looked into this further for you with our cancellations team, they will today process a refund of £625.00 today which will take 3-5 working days to go back into your account. The remaining £127.00 will be retained, this is the cost of the cancellation cover at £74.00 and a £53 cancellation fee. 
Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. 

What a cheek, I aim try get it all back if possible

Sandy

The old made up cancellation cover and fees penalty.... otherwise known as " Theft "

" If you need to cancel your booking please call us immediately on 0345 604 3881. Should you cancel your booking, the deposit is non-refundable and you may be responsible for cancellation charges, which are explained in the Booking Conditions.  If you have personal travel insurance or the Standard Booking Conditions apply to your booking, you may be covered for cancellation, depending on the reason. However, not all your money may be refunded – please see the Booking Conditions for more details."

http://help.hoseasons.co.uk/customer/en/portal/articles/2704393-what-is-your-cancellation-policy-

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

thanks Andyorch

I aim to try  get  it all back and have resolver on my case as well

Sandy xx

If the cancellation cover is the premium for an insurance policy, and if they are paying you back the £625 as a claim under the policy, you can't expect them to return the insurance policy of premium of £74 as well. If you hadn't paid the premium you wouldn't have got the claim paid.

• Like 1

the holiday cost over £800 and they want to keep over  £100  of that

I would prefer most of the money back tbh, thanks for all help 

Ethel, I have never had a problem like this before, thanks for help