• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Using three lions chambers DMP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I recently contacted a firm of barristers to consolidate and help me get rid of my debts.

However I'm not sure I've done right thing

I'm paying 85Pound a month for 2 years

at the end of which I will continue to pay a bit less.

I'm not sure where all my money goes as I didn't fully understand.

Would I have rights to cancel with them

As I'm still getting letters from creditors and have to explain that I have TLC acting for me.

You'll have to tell us a lot more about your debts and who TLC is and what the deal is.

My debt was in total £5000

I saw advert saying write off debts government backed.

I entered into contract and pay £85 a month for 2 years then after that was told it would be less.

I think three lions chambers takes fee but not sure.

I still keep getting letters from my creditors asking for payments.

I dont know if I can cancel with them they are barristers based in Birmingham. 

dump then do it yourself!

and I bet they didn't even bother to check the enforceability of the debt either!!

list them please

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

3 hours ago, honeybee13 said:

Hi.

Are you able to post a link to the advert you saw please?

No it was an advert saying write off your debts legally while I was browsing internet.

There on all the time sorry

How do I do it myself haven't circa clue

On 05/12/2018 at 17:31, merlin100 said:

Hi guys, nice to be here again.

Just after some advice because I smell a rat!

A family member is looking to enter a DMP.

He’s found the above firm online and approached them.

They purport to be a firm of lawyers/barristers and are relatively new so there’s not a lot of information on the internet about them. However, I’m extremely dubious regarding their methods, this is what they’ve told him so far-

In the first instance he stops paying his debts now and they give him a reference number to quote when the phone calls start.

He will pay nothing to his creditors for the next 12 months but he will pay a £120 per month fee to them while they approach his creditors.

They also talk a lot about challenging contracts, interest rates, irresponsible lending etc, but nothing initially about debt management.

After the 12 months has elapsed, they then consider his/their position regarding any successes of freezing interest, debt write-off, lowered payments etc and decide a way forward that “could” result in a debt management plan.

oh yes, he was also told on the phone that they could “almost” guarantee that 80% of his debts would be written off.

Now I know you are all going to say that this is one big s*@m, and I totally agree with that. But I would like to hear any thoughts on this as to be honest, I’ve never heard of anything like this before so any experiences would be gratefully received.

Thanks all

I am using these atm and dont know if I've made right choice. Dont know if I can come out of contract with them do you have any advice please

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

very easy to do it yourself..we'll help

write to them CANCEL the DMP.

can you list your debts please

original creditor

what type of credit

when taken out

outstanding balance

defaulted date from your credit file

whom you pay now

……………...

post moved to your own topic

thread title updated

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Using three lions chambers DMP

Apparently l could only cancel within 24 days. I've being paying since February this year. So dont think I can get out of this contract with this barrister. I've just emailed him asking how much the fee is and how much going off my debts thanks

Sorry that should read 14 days

just stop paying as simple as that.

whatever it is will fail.

nothing they can comeback to you upon.

dx

and they

I cant they are barristers I'm tied in with them it's ok I've been in touch with them. I pay them monthly and they get 85% debts written off hopefully. Thanks for your advice. Its early days yet only been cosying since Feb 19

rubbish!!

what have you signed up to?

a DMP?

an IVA?

either way only a court can compel you to continue

stop talking to them..DUMP THEM!!

and they

cover the email to PDF

read upload

dx

and they

Its an IVA thats been signed and agreed. But i find it strange it is only 2 years? Unless thats due to the amount?

Is there any documentation you can post up minus info?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Who are the companies you are paying through 'whatever ' it is ..name them please..

bet they are DCA's not the original creditors...

you are being had blind

and the barrister is getting his cut too

on debt you most probably dont even owe!!

Dx

and they

• 1 month later...

Hi Francis,

sorry Ive only just seen this but Ill tell you what has happened to date.

As Ive already said,

my son began paying £120 a month to them with very little understanding of what they were supposed to be doing other than some vague promise of having some of his debts written off in the near future.

At that time there were also vague promises of some sort of DMP being set up after 12 months of him paying this money but nothing was ever put into writing - it was always promises by phone calls.

He had 9 separate creditors amounting to around £9000.

After 5 months only 4 of the creditors were willing to deal with 3 Lions,

the others wouldn't recognise them as a debt management firm and were constantly calling him and sending the usual threatening letters.

Once we got to the bottom of it,

it turned out that the £120 a month for the first 12 months was just a fee they charged to look into his contracts and see if they could be voided in some way.

But after that 12 months had passed,

they were not very forthcoming on whether a DMP or other form of debt management plan would be put into place. It didn't fill me with much confidence.

All they ever told him when he rang was not to worry, they were sorting it!

Luckily, in their original contract (then), the option to cancel at any time was available which I also thought a little strange coming from a team of barristers.

We cancelled the contract but by this time some of his creditors were threatening court action so we got in touch with Stepchange.

They were pretty good and acted swiftly.

All his creditors had to accept them, the letters and threats finally stopped.

Although he was only around £9000 in debt, he was paying just over £1100 each month out.

Stepchange reduced it to £247 a month.

Lesson learned!

and now sent everyone paid through step change a CCA request

those that fail the 12+2 working days deadline

you cease payment too.

and they

• 3 months later...

I think they've now gone bump.  Ray Austin Williams (Barrister) resigned earlier this year (see Companies House).  WebSite gone too.

If you paid via direct debit (I paid via GoCardLess) then ring GoCardLess and do a chargeback under the direct debit guarantee scheme