• Tweets

• Thank you.  Threads that point to success - or to mistakes - are very useful for motorists that will come on here in the future.   What you have done is utter insanity.  Despite being given on a plate two threads where motorists beat Athena in the same week as your case you've gone and handed over money to the fleecers.  It doesn't take much to work out that (a) not handing over money you don't owe to conmen is a better strategy than (b) handing over money you don't owe to conmen then trying to get it back.   The amount was never "going up" from £45 to £90 because it was never £45 in the first place.  It was always £0.  You were being charged for overstaying by eight seconds which is legally "de minimis" ("the law does not deal with trivialities").  You couldn't read Athena's signs anyway as the car park was pitch black!  Etc.  Etc.   Athena's position will be that you admitted the debt (otherwise why did you pay it?)  I hope chargeback goes well but often it's a battle to get banks to carry out chargeback and they will understandably be bemused as to why you paid this money if you thought you didn't owe it.  Bluntly you've just made life a million times harder for no reason.  It's like a football team manager who instructs the players to score two own goals in the first minute and then try to win the game.     That said, go for chargeback and good luck.
    • Same reason Councils like to use Agency workers at sharp end.
    • Not a fan of outsourcing in general, as I think control is lost.  And the companies used, can have problems meeting the standards required, as HB states above.    But I can see why it is attractive, as then Government department or principal company does not have additional staff with pensions and all of the other costs.   If you needed say 200 staff to cover work that would last a year, it can make sense to outsource the work, depending on what is required.    
    • That's what gets me, BN, unless these three companies have a monopoly between them.   At least two of them have been fined or had financial penalties for messing up, haven't they? And yet they still get the next job, possibly with no tendering in the current climate.
    • An update! I took all the advice, Social media, contacted the cottage direct ( mail and letter) sent an email to the CEO and the UK Director of customer service Booking.com, Halifax re charge back.   Oddly, this morning Kalvin got a text message saying they tried to contact him months ago ( yeah right) offering him a refund or alternative accommodation!!  So, to keep inline with data protection ( that was mentioned in the text) they can only reply to him.   Offered his money back or another date. He agreed to a refund within the next 7 days.   I really appreciate all of your input and I will gladly make a donation to your good work many thanks again,   Paul
  • Our picks

• @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 6 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 536 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, I have just been given formal notification that i am being made redundant. There is an appeals process and i wish to go ahead with that but really have no idea how to proceed and just wondering if anyone can offer any advice or insight into the action i need to take. TIA for any advice/help

Hi.

Do you work for a company or for yourself please? I could be wrong, but I thought employees were made redundant rather self-employed people.

Tell us a bit more about your emplyment status and we'll do our best to help.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum