• Tweets

• Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Garage have had car for a month - promised week max - looking dodgy

paulfoel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1717 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Talked the talk when I booked it in - week maximum blah blah blah.
After two weeks, taking days to get hold of someone they told me the part was delayed.
Last week, they said the part was in. Today someone else told me the part wasnt there

Having read some REALLY bad reviews I'm a little concerned. I have no idea what they are playing at.
What are my legal rights? Its a gearbox replacement and I've got a feeling they've already taken the old one out.

Im hoping they are just being completely useless but I am beginning to wonder.

Could you please go to the story a little bit more carefully. Give us a bullet pointed chronology and also tell us the name of the garage you are dealing with.

Did you buy it from them? Or are they simply a repair garage?

Id rather give the garage the benefit of the doubt for now if thats ok.

It was a faulty gearbox. Looked around for someone to fix and found on internet.

Guy was good as gold told me 7-10 days max but probably sorted in a week.

4 weeks ago - car goes in.

After 7 days I ring them every day or two. After two weeks they tell me part is on "back order" and could take up to 14 days.

Week ago I ring them again - part arrived today. Should be done in 4-5 days.

This week its taken me 3 days to get hold of someone. Today I spoke to someone who said no the part wasn't in (I got the impression he knew he'd dropped someone in it).

I've asked for someone to call me back to explain whats going on. As usual, no call back.

Looks like they've decided they dont want to do it after all. 4 weeks and now they've told me they cant get the parts.

I found the part online in 10 mins this am. Oh well, bullet dodged maybe because car has just sat there for 4 weeks.

Another completely useless garage.

Car was recently in the garage.

I booked it in three weeks ago and spoke to them on the phone saying I'd sort out getting car to them.

They said no its ok we'll come and get it no problem at all.

So they take it, do some work (which I'm happy to pay for) and then I notice a charge of £100+VAT for RECOVERY AS REQUESTED.

I pointed out to garage that maybe when we discussed collection it would have been wise to advise me of this charge.

I also pointed out, even the AA would only have charged me £65.

Answer was "tough thats my standard recovery fee - you did ask and its not my fault if I can't do it as cheap as others".

Hardly recovery when it was arranged three weeks in advance.

More like, I'll offer, not tell him how much, then rinse him later.

Best of all

- I decided after this not to go ahead with the work. £100+VAT if I want it back! (No thanks mate I'll phone AA thanks).

Glad I never took courtesy car off him - he'd have keep quiet then added £200 to the bill!

Where do I stand legally?

Of course, got to pay to get the car back.

Possibly he'd done nothing illegal apart from being a total ******?

Bit of background

- he did make a real  p@ss take of an offer (about 20% of what its worth in its current state) to buy the car to refurbish himself,  and knock off the repair bill too.

And of course I wouldn't need to get it transported back.

I get the impression he was hoping I'd go for the easy option and cut my losses.

Very poor behavior undoubtedly but do I have a leg to stand on complaining about the unspecified recovery charge?

bet he wont let the car go when the aa turn up either.

very sharp practice and I bet you didn't record the calls?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

the law is on your side as far as contrcats go but you have a big problem- the law allows the garage to keep yur car in lieu of any monies owed them so you cant get your car back until you pay the money!

Now, if you decide to sue to get your hundred quid back then you will have to show soem evidenec of the conversation that took place about the collection and you cant, can you. So you will get sympathy but no money.

I would swallow on it and complain to the local trading standards, chances are they have already heard of him and if they get enough complaints they may well act but wont move on a single complaint.

Yes I know I've got to pay - its wrong they can make up charges like this.

I do actually have the facebook conversation saved where I tell him where I am and say its going to be a problem getting car to him and hes answered:- 

"Hi there yes we can take care of that for you. We could collect it on a trailer and bring it in so that isn't an issue either"

No mention of cost anywhere until I get the invoice. I even messaged him to thank him for collecting it. Bet he though yeh right you've just been charged £120!

Surely I'm not the first to have an issue with this guy. All dealings with him have been about him trying to screw as much money.

Hes messaged me today to tell me- get car moved tomorrow or pay him £120 or hes going to dump it on the street. 

5 hours ago, PIXeL_92 said:

Let him dump it on the street and just get the AA to collect it if he has left it on a public road, then you at least have your car whilst you argue the charge.

Its got no tax and no mot. And hes said he wont let me have the keys until I pay - guys a crook.

Im going to have to pay for now.

I guess its a grey area. You provide you're car to the garage and sometimes they give you a quote for work sometimes they don't.

But generally you dont say, what you're charging me £30 an hour to do the work -  I thought it was free. How far do you take this?

Personally, I think offering a service without advising someone, that could be construed as being an added extra (e.g. a lot of garages will collect car for free, provide courtesy car for free etc) and then hitting with a charge more than double what you know they could have sorted themselves is just plain wrong IMHO.

Well I paid in full and informed him that I was not happy about the charge. Hes emailed me to argue now.

Given him a massive benefit of the doubt that he simply forgot to mention it, he still doesn't think he's done anything wrong. Hes trying to say his charge is fair, I can't expect it for free etc.

He just doesn't seem to want to understand that hes charged me a permium, I could have got it sorted for much cheaper, and, its not true that some garages don't offer free collection. I've had this many times with other cars.

Personally, I think hes "accidentally on purpose" forgot to mention knowing that its an easy £120 which I pretty much can't get out of later because he'll have my car.

Worse still even when I complained in the first instance and said £120 was excessive because he didn't tell me, and I could have got it there for £55, he still wanted ANOTHER £120 to bring it back, and then has demanded it go today. If he'd brought it back for free (£120 two journeys)  and not been awkward about it I'd have let it go.

Not now. Hes made his decision now hes going to have to stand by it with the bad publicity.

• 3 months later...

Surely he can't do this? Seems a bit much - accept my offer or I'm going to threaten you. Surely the idea of the small claims court is you can enter valid claims without being threatened with legal action yourself.

He actually officially responded with this:-

"I will be taking the matter further, and will also be issuing a counter claim for my costs and time taken from business in dealing with this issue, and the stress and anxiety this has caused me"

If this conduct is unnacceptable, who can I complain to?

I'm afraid that we can't possibly guess what the story is so you will have to explain it to us.  You've been here since 2010 - so you must realise that.

He can't counterclaim for costs - so the fact that he says that makes it clear that he has no idea what he is talking about. 

On the other hand if you are claiming more than £10000 then if you lose, you may have t pay the winner's costs - but as you have given us absolutely no detail - I don't think that there is more that we can say

OK heres the full story....

My wifes has an old classic car thats off the road. I phoned this guy and he said he could look at in 6 weeks. We discussed the fact that the car was not driveable and his exact words were "no problem I'm happy to collect it on my traier".

Off it goes. Went ahead with some of the work, not all - still not driveable. So he tells me £100 if you want it back. Then he gives me the invoice for the work done and I see "Collection Fee £100". In the end I have to pay the bill to get the car released but I let him know I'm not happy - I also arrange my own recovery for £55.

Anyway, I tell him that he made no mention of the £100 fee  when he offered to collect the car. Also, he must have known his £100 fee was a premium fee yet chose to keep quiet about it. 

His attitude was that's my fee, you didn't ask, tough luck, nothing is free. I pointed out that I had recently had a similar experience with the gearbox on my car and recovery to the garage in question was included.  Also, with 6 weeks notice, I could have got the car to him a lot cheaper than £100 . - his attitude, tough I charge £100.

So after letters, he offered £45 on the basis it would have cost me £55 anyway. To be honest, I'd have got a mate to tow it for free with 6 weeks to do it.

Personally, I think he knows that being vague has allowed him to charge £100. He knew damn well what he was doing.

So I entered the small claim and his response has been as above.

You say that you have started the claim???  Please post the claim form

I see that You didn't want to tell us who the repairer was because you wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. Would you like to tell us who they are now? Also I'm waiting to hear about this claim form

Please will you link to the correct thread and I'll merge them

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1717 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks