BankFodder BankFodder

cassiedaisy

Council tax - Whyte & Co. want £75 bailiff compliance fee - we'd paid already - trying to pull a fast one?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 291 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello!

After some advice please.

Council obtained liability order, which gave them the option of enforcement.

I paid the council tax on 23rd March in full before any further communication was received.

i received a letter on 4th April (dated 2nd April) demanding full amount plus compliance fee of £75

I emailed them advising it had been paid few weeks previous & nothing outstanding. They replied saying the council confirmed this, however, their charge was raised on 22nd March and when was I going to pay it.

Can they enforce this fee? Seems strange it was raised and chargeable day before I paid but no letter sent until April!

looking for some guidance please.......

Thanks in advance

not sure.. you paid it before they ever issued the notice..

who is this..

and a point of note

why are you continually having bailiff CTAX issues... most of your threads are relating to CTAX.

get it paid off as a prority..every year

It’s Whyte & Co.

Regrettably we are both self employed and work can be irregular.

It was literally the last 2 payments that were due but because of late payment some months lost the right to instalments!

I agree......yes, we often struggle with essential bills, but to be fair we did really well this year to almost keep on top of it!

Thank you got you advice...

Also, to be fair we believed we were paying before we had any issues with a bailiff!

This was their reply today.....

” When the accounts come onto our system, you incur the compliance stage fee of £75. This is the legislated fee that will not be removed therefore, your outstanding balance is £75 that remains due and payable.”

Contact your local Councillor and ask them to intervene on your behalf. www.writetothem.com

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

had time to research now as I remembered reading something..

I suspect that the issue here is that the enforcement agents can easily have received instruction prior to 23 March, even by the 1 day, even though they didn't issue the letter until later - the £75 is due at the point of instruction but there's nothing to say the notice of enforcement (which gives 7 days warning that they can come and seize goods) has to be issued immediately. In effect they can sit on an account from instruction and the £75 is still due.

Edited by ss002d6252