• Tweets

• Couple of things to point out. Council won't be interested in dog's poo in the caravan as it is private property.  At best the h&s department would take a statement and pictures and if it happened again they would act.   As the devil's advocate I would ask: 1. If you were so distressed to ask £4k compensation as suggested,  why did you stay for the full length of the holiday? Is it because your complaint was addressed and caravan cleaned? 2. Bed bugs? Where are the evidence? Couldn't it be another insect's bite? Most of the world population occasionally wakes up to a sore bite from unknown insects.  This can happen anywhere,  even in your house. Hands up if you have never experienced a mosquito bite in your house. 3. Manager took ownership of the problem immediately and fixed the faults. What else could he do? Move you from a caravan site to a 5 star presidential suite? Did you ask for this in writing there and then or you accepted the fix? 4. They offered £500 compensation. That's more than a quarter of the cost of the holiday. I don't think a judge would find that unreasonable.  5. Unfortunately the law doesn't act on ifs, so if something doesn't happen you won't get much interest. IF your boy had eaten the poo, the claim could have escalated by a large margin, but you, as a responsible parent, prevented this and nothing happened to your boy who went on to have a jolly good time. So unfortunately you can't claim for something that didn't happen.  To better understand this, think about a window cleaner leaving his ladder resting on a wall. IF the wind blows it on my car i could claim damage, but not before it happens.   So, my approach would be more pragmatic, by all means ask for more and see what happens, but £500 it's already a good offer in my opinion.    For future reference, whenever i go to holiday parks, caravan sites etc., first thing I do is to clean the lot. It takes an hour or so, but then i'm sure that i won't get any problems from hidden bacteria or other nasty surprises.  I know it shouldn't be this way, but it is. Us, the consumer,  have pushed for cheaper and cheaper prices and this is the result. We need to adapt unfortunately or we would be in court every day. Then there would be no time for holidays.
    • Hi, Last payments were around 2009. The last time any sort of letter showed up was about 3 years ago to my knowledge but only received by me a year after it was written as hung onto by my sister.    I haven't managed to open a bank account yet but made progress in what they required so will try this week.    Thanks for responding. At the time maybe I should have gone bankrupt in hindsight but before I left it pretty much all stopped after asking for the SAR' s. I had settled what I could prior to that.  Then after a big gap I started to get random debt agencies picking up on a few, irrespective of saying there were outstanding SAR requests they came and went and I did inform them where I was living overseas which is why Amex went for the RMA and then suddenly stopped.    You are of course right about running away. Seriously the whole thing gave me real depression which is something I only thought happened to other people. It has taken me all this time to get back to a place where I think I can take a deep breath and deal with it both for my sake and my mum.    I will keep a log. What happens might prove relevant to others and I can't see anyone else has kept one although a lot of people seem to have similar stories.    Thanks again        
    • Just make sure the Blue badge is visible in the car so the JBW bailiff can see it, otherwise he might clamp to put pressure on you.
    • Let them spout and don't tell them that you have recorded the call until its nearly ended and you have said you are logging date and time of all calls as they are in breach of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997    Prohibition of harassment. (1)A person must not pursue a course of conduct— (a)which amounts to harassment of another, and (b)which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other. [F1(1A)A person must not pursue a course of conduct — (a)which involves harassment of two or more persons, and (b)which he knows or ought to know involves harassment of those persons, and (c)by which he intends to persuade any person (whether or not one of those mentioned above)— (i)not to do something that he is entitled or required to do, or (ii)to do something that he is not under any obligation to do.]
    • It wasn’t recorded as to be honest, I was caught a little off guard however they are calling on a daily basis so I’ll make a point of recording the next one!   there won’t be any crumbling here. I’ve just been reading through the history of this to jog my memory on some of the events and it’s reminded me just how pathetic they are as a business. I fully intend to waste as much of their time and hopefully money as possible. 
  • Our picks

Hannay100

LCS DCA and small E-ON elec bill, fees have doubled the debt -big principle!

Posted (edited)

Around 3 years ago I stopped renting a small lockup+office for temporary storage following retirement, taking care of all utility Co. bills in the process - or so I had thought.

I recently had a letter from LCS, Leeds, chasing a final elec bill from then. 

I replied that nothing had been left outstanding, and I would be taking it up with e-on direct.

e-on subsequently provided a replacement bill for me to compare with my papers from then, and it appears that the bill was a legitimate final-bill on termination of supply - I had simply overlooked to ask for a final bill from them, had taken care of others properly but not e-on on an oversight.

I had a redirect in place with Royal Mail, however never received an e-on bill or reminders before it finished after 12 months.

The bill amount was £41 and a few pennies, LCS is after £79 which presumably includes £38 admin charge.

I have complained to e-on who have advised that as the case is now with LCS I have to deal with/pay them not e-on, and that it includes a fee to them for dealing.

I have written to LCS rejecting a 93% increase and requesting they waive it.

I have no trouble paying a genuinely overlooked bill, and even an odd fiver maybe for writing some letters and making a few calls to find me after this time. But £38 on £41?!

So then ...

It is actually a piddling little bill but a massive principle!

Ordinarily I'd just settle and avoid wasting time chasing things around, but this admin-charge excuse for loading all sorts bills etc really sticks in my throat! 

Hasn't there been some formal movement/expose recently (with Banks doing the same thing I seem to think?) that dumped a ton of rocks on the inflationary use of so-called admin charges like £25 for an automatically-generated Bank letter for example? 

So, is anyone able to point me toward any rulings etc arising from what I am sure I remember as a big slap on the wrist for financial institutions and some others, over their heavy-handed and unreasonable inflating of admin charges?

Also, I have done a search on LCS here first before posting this, and there are a few appearances but nothing from which to judge whether they conduct themselves pretty sensibly, or are yet another of the total cowboys out there ...  is anyone familiar with them?

I'll probably just pay the original-bill amount because they are entitled to that, and leave them to whistle for anything more, but alongside that I'd like some knowledge of any useful industry-legislation or policy guidelines or even new codes of practise/standards for when they then start to make veiled threats.

If anyone can help along those lines I'd be appreciative, thanks.

Edited by Hannay100

you are under no legal obligation to pay any unlawful penalty fess.

LCS are total cowboys and have always been so.

they are a powerless dca and NOT BAILIFFS.

nothing they can do to you.

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Thank you for that awareness dx100uk, I will act - or not-act :) - accordingly.

Much appreciated.

send a cheque to eon with the reference number etc and if they return it then you owe nothing as they will have failed to mitigate the debt.

If it is a business contrcat it may well be that they can add fees to the bill wich they couldnt with a domestic tariff but as you will ahve paid off the bill then the third party dca cant sue you for their fee because you have no contract with them and there has been no legal assignment of the debt.

they are relying on you paying up, that is all but sometimes stupidity intervenes and they become stubborn.

anothr thought, if you have the original bill then use the payment slip and pay it at your bank in cash, they cant simply return the money then.

Posted (edited)

Thank you ericsbrother, useful thoughts and options! 

Since coming back to find your additions I have in fact followed similarish paths - I went to e-on's payment portal to pay the legitimate bill direct - with which I have no argument.

The process wouldn't complete and a window opened offering an apology and asking that I call the customer support number and someone would take my payment.

The Agent online was surprised at first that she couldn't put the payment through, but then reviewed the details and advised that my user account from that property/time was no longer active (Duh!), that the recent copy bill was sent simply to validate LCS's claim/involvement, that the bill was therefore not *live* nor linked to any active/accessible customer-account on her system, and that my dealings - whatever I intended to do - would have to be with LCS.

So I advised e-on that I was happy to settle what had been shown to be a legitimate bill, and that I would make payment of precisely just the bill-amount to the nominated LCS account as required to do, via a PayPoint using cash - which I did shortly after.

I have notified LCS that they are holding e-on's money and that e-on is aware, also that their fee-for-acting is wholly unacceptable and no further payment to them will be made.

I expect they will rattle their cage for a bit, but fundamentally they have nowhere to take anything ... unless you or anyone know otherwise???

Thanks again for the further advice/recommendations, apologies for missing them until just now.

Edited by Hannay100

di you record the call?

If you had then you could have not paid them at all as they refused the payment and that is covered by the term "mitigating a debt"

No I didn't record the call, however that's an interesting line of thinking that I will tuck safely away in case a similar situation arises elsewhere at any time ... thanks.