NPOWER - Issues with billing/meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1748 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Okay. I don't really know what else we can usefully say here.

I think you have to make a decision as to are you going to sue them? Do you want to enter into some initial discussions with them about this? If so then how long you want those discussions to last before you give up and send them a letter of claim? Do you simply want to send them a letter of claim now?

Are you still receiving regular demands from them at the moment? Are you in some kind of payment plan at the moment?

I suppose that you could write to them and say to them that you've been reviewing the situation and that you now realise that the back billing rules should have applied and they haven't applied them and therefore you consider that you have overpaid to the tune of XXX pounds and you want it back.

Then if you don't hear from them within 14 days – you can issue your letter of claim.

I think it's up to you now to decide how aggressively you want to deal with this and how quickly you want to move it forward

You are paying what you use – so you aren't paying any of the arrears?

So what is the position on the arrears?

Arrears at moment are just staying as they are. So understandable that they are now sending demands. That's why I want to start this process ASAP. 

Don't really want to pay for something that I truly believe to be incorrect 

Okay. I was just wondering whether there had been some repayment plan in place. Apparently not.

In that case, it's up to you when to send them a letter of action and how much time to give them.

So this is the letter I intend to send. The missus really wants to include about the backbilling, so I've had to work that in.

Head of Legal

Npower
PO Box 177
Houghton Le Spring
DH4 9AQ

Dear Head of Legal,

REF: XXXXXXXX

I am writing in regards an overpayment on the account mentioned. Amount overpaid is £116. This is calculated from November 2018.
I would also like to draw your attention to an outstanding balance Npower currently have on my account which as of today, currently stands at £1193.31. In respect of this amount, I request that this is removed from my account in line with backbilling conditions.

Npower state: As part of our commitment to quality service, we welcome the introduction of a new licence condition relating to the backbilling of energy, for our home customers.
Normal credit meter backbilling. If you have a normal credit meter, when we issue a bill, we can only look to recover charges for the electricity or gas (or both) used in the last 12 months, unless any of these situations apply:
We’ve already issued an accurate bill and are in contact with you about payment of previously billed charges.

As the issue relating to faulty meter that was installed in February 2017 and not rectified until November 2018, the period February 2017 – November 2017 is null and void and Npower should not be chasing for this money.

If I do not receive a satisfactory response from yourselves within 14 days of the date of this letter, I intend to issue proceedings against yourselves in the county court without further notice.

I look forward to your acknowledgement.

Yours faithfully

Well my preference is to leave out any reference to the back billing code at this point. I think that it is important to try to get them to counterclaim against you on it. If you mention it now, then it may be something that they will simply delay upon and delay upon – or maybe simply not even bother which will leave the matter at large. I think this needs to be sorted out.

Incidentally, somewhere else in the Npower code or an ofgen code is a bit about treating customers fairly. It will be helpful if you can find that because that will come in useful as well at some point

Standards of Conduct is a licence condition that all energy suppliers must adhere to. Its objective is to make sure that each customer is treated fairly.

The key principles are:

1) We behave and carry out any actions in a fair, honest, transparent, appropriate and professional manner.

2) We provide information to each customer which:

• Is complete, accurate and not misleading.
  • Is communicated in plain and intelligible language.
  • Relates to products or services that are appropriate to the customer to whom it is directed.
  • Is fair both in terms of content and how it is presented.

3) We must:

• Make it easy for a customer to contact us.
  • Act promptly and courteously to put things right when we make a mistake.
  • Ensure that our customer service arrangements and processes are complete, thorough, fit for purpose and transparent.

Edited by David2Prit

Good.  Keep it for a rainy day ... real soon

1 hour ago, David2Prit said:

YEah I have seen that myself actually. I'll have a look and come back.

So I guess, I just remove the section regarding backbilling and then send straight off.

If you feel happy about that – then yes.

I don't see that there is any disadvantage at the moment.

Okay this is what is going off. Will be sent today, or first thing in the morning.

Thinking to keep it short and sweet, more chance of them counterclaiming.

Then going from that we shall have further discussions.

Head of Legal

Npower
PO Box 177
Houghton Le Spring
DH4 9AQ

Dear Head of Legal,

REF: XXXXXXXXX

I am writing in regards an overpayment on the account mentioned. Amount overpaid is £116. This is calculated from November 2018.

If I do not receive a satisfactory response from yourselves within 14 days of the date of this letter, I intend to issue proceedings against yourselves in the county court without further notice.

I look forward to your acknowledgement.

I think I would just put in that the overpayment is caused by their inaccurate calculations over a period of years. I think that little explanation is probably fairly necessary. Sorry only to come up with that just at this last moment

9 minutes ago, David2Prit said:

I am writing in regards an overpayment on the account mentioned. Amount overpaid is £116. This has been caused by your inaccurate readings over a period of years.

??

Is this in response to your letter of claim or did it simply cross in the post?

Have they said anything new?

Incidentally, could you just detail here the calculations which allowed you to arrive at your figure of £116 overpayment.

Okay, could you just lay out the basis of your £116 calculation. You will have to do that at some point. We should see it now.

Excellent. That's perfect.

It occurred to me that maybe it was your own assessment of the overpayment. In fact it is their own calculation – and it has even based on their own admitted errors.

I would suggest that you simply stick by your deadline and issue the papers.

Maybe you could post up a scan of their threat in PDF format