NPOWER - Issues with billing/meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1749 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

wow!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

35 minutes ago, David2Prit said:

Okay, something has happened. I’m now £1699 in credit......

Request a refund :becky:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Blimey!

I'm away for a few days so I'm only using a phone but this is very unexpected.

without asking them, are you able to rationalize the sum that you have received and where it leaves you in respect of them owing you money?

I think at some point soon you will have to ask them formally to justify the payment and also have a full statement of account

absolutely. Now you have received this payment I don't think you can bring your action because clearly they have paid you far more than you are claiming.

you will have to try and estimate what the situation is and then following up with a request for a statement of account.

They are clearly in disarray.

Frankly I don't think you should talk to them at all until you have calculated where this leaves you in terms of who owes what to whom.

You obviously need your subject access disclosure to help you with this.

The only recommendation I can make is not to touch the money in case you need to hand some of it back.

I'm afraid that I wouldn't telephone them simply to ask about the money until I have some information to hand. You already know from your experience that you talk to different people, get different stories, nobody has particularly read the papers or know what's going on.

I think you should go carefully. Presumably they have stopped making threats.

Oh I haven't touched anything. The money still sits with npower as a credit on my account. 

Yeah appears the threats have stopped. Only thing I've had was a phone call acknowledging the letter of claim and that they are looking into it. Which I believe has prompted the current review of account. 

Guess I will just leave it for now. Not going to go ahead with the court action at moment, given they actually do seem to be doing something. Will wait until mid next week. 

Sorry, I thought that the money was in your bank account.

In that case I suggest that the next step is to ask for the credit to be refunded to you to your bank account. I can't see any downside to this. There will be a procedure for this to happen and I think it then puts them in a position where they either have to stand by the fact they credited you or they then start to argue that it was an error.

I suspect if you consult the Npower website – and also the regulator rules, you will find procedures for requiring overpayments to be paid back into your account.

Ahhh okay. It'll have to call tomorrow now though. Going back into work and they'll be closed by the time I get out. 

I'll have a scan around the website also and see if I can find anything. 

Check the rules first. You may even find that there is some website form for requiring this. Keep copies of everything that you complete. If you have to complete online forms then it may not be certain that you get a copy so take a screenshot before you click it off.

If you make phone calls then make sure that you have read our customer services guide and don't speak to anyone without recording the call.

• 1 month later...

Any developments on this? Or is it sorted?

On 27/06/2019 at 19:06, BankFodder said:

Any developments on this? Or is it sorted?

No actually, and apologies for late reply, I’ve been away for six weeks. 

Its sorted in the sense they they are paying me back, but they can’t seem to settle on a figure. They have a self imposed deadline of the 12th of this month to sort it out, so I’ll wait for that and see what happens then. They have admitted it was all their mistakes etc so that’s one positive. 

I can't remember the situation. Have you send them a letter before action? And has the deadline expired?

Also, I can't remember whether the situation is that you owe them money or they owe you money.

Sorry to ask you to go over it again but maybe if you could just let me know what the bottom line is. I'm thinking about asking them to pay some interest if in fact it turns out that you have overpaid them.

On 05/07/2019 at 13:27, BankFodder said:

I can't remember the situation. Have you send them a letter before action? And has the deadline expired?

Also, I can't remember whether the situation is that you owe them money or they owe you money.

Sorry to ask you to go over it again but maybe if you could just let me know what the bottom line is. I'm thinking about asking them to pay some interest if in fact it turns out that you have overpaid them.

So I had sent the LBA to npower. Shortly after this my account was refunded, but the price kept on changing. Npower called myself (recorded it obviously) and admitted liability and were in the process of refunding all monies owed, and a compensation package. They then self imposed a deadline of 12th (tomorrow) to have this issue sorted. Which I thought was fair enough.

They've just called, and said that I am to get a refund of £700 for overcharging, and by way of compensation a further £200. 

Which I'm happy with, haven’t told them this, but asked for everything to be put in writing to myself and I’ll let them know the outcome within 7 days. 

Sounds great. I think your insistence on written confirmation is essential because they are such shockers, a few months down the line they'll suddenly get it wrong again and start coming after you.

I have to say I think that £200 compensation is rather light – but if you're happy with it then that's fine – and at least having a compensation figure does indicate that the matter is meant to be at an end.

I think it’s light also, and could push for more if I really wanted to do so. I’ve left them now and am with Octopus (who seem great so far). 

Ill have a think and maybe push for further compensation, but it’s the end game now, finally got them to admit to the wrongdoings. 

How long have they been in possession of the overpayment? I'm simply thinking about whether it would be worth claiming interest on top of that. The County Court rate is typically 8% the moment