• Tweets

• we have known for a very very long time that 9/10 the OC never knows IRRWW are chasing debtors nor  in some cases even taking money from them that the OC never ever see!! IDRWW pockets it -  free money - lets all go on a staff holiday. there was an article some years back whereby that quoted some +£4M debtors had paid to IDRWW on UAE debts that when contacted the originating banks knew nothing about....😎  
    • let the ombudsman do their job. you'll win handsdown you dont obv owe OVO p'haps anything at all.  dont worry about Past Due credit or any other DCA ( THEY ARE NOT BAILIFFS!) as for you being added to the debt, thats quite OK, you were a resident adult and equally liable under law. once you start getting things moving via the  ombudsman dont forget to get your credit files cleansed of any negative data & seek compensation for distress etc, again the  ombudsman should sort both out for you. as you are now NOT a customer of OVO, there is very very little they can do to you now.  
    • A question - did you use the supermarket or the restaurant? I see the restrictions are different. Sign.pdf
    • DN is ok DCA NOA is ok, though not one from Newday saying they've sold it. agreement states esigned on a sunday at 11am?? really??  but no typed names or tick box nor any IP address used. if the date is correct then poss ok, it that your correct address for that time of take out? but if not, then that could simply be a copy of someone elses they've used with you details copy'n'pasted over theirs. the agreement details separate T&C's in at least 8.4. a full set of T&C containing your correct address for the time MUST be included. failure renders the agreement unenforceable... have you the T&C's too? dx
    • Npower and Scottish Power and others have always had regulations that require them to treat customers fairly - the threads here and my experiences demonstrate that those regs are little more than useless.   Even Octopus recently spent month after month saying they needed to increase my monthly payments despite my credit balance slowly going up TWICE I had to reset it online back to prior payment as they unilaterally increased it unilaterally. Raised formal complaint and they than said i was paying too much and reduced the payment, again without my agreement, although that time at least they told me they were doing it.   .. and Octopus has been one of the better ones.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Contract advice required

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

24 minutes ago, nicurro said:

Unless the meeting is being documented and a sanction imposed at which point it turns to a formal meeting.

Look up the definition of sanction. And there is nothing in law that says either of these things. You have been told what the law says. 

There is a big section on ACAS about meetings.

If a Contracted term is being removed from that contract then I would say that is a sanction.

If the payment is being stopped then this would be ok but it would still remain as a contract term thus if criteria is met then the payment would be made.

As they are removing or have stopped recognising the contracted term then I am sure that this would be a breach.

I take it Sangie that you also voted to remain in the EU !

1 hour ago, nicurro said:

If a Contracted term is being removed from that contract then I would say that is a sanction.

If the payment is being stopped then this would be ok but it would still remain as a contract term thus if criteria is met then the payment would be made.

As they are removing or have stopped recognising the contracted term then I am sure that this would be a breach.

But, you do not have a copy of the relevant contract, we have established that

So you can theorise all you like but you've nothing that will stand up to legal scrutiny

All this debate on formal and informal meetings is academic without evidence.

My thoughts now would be

- do I want to keep working there?

- if yes, do I really want to keep stuffing up the relationship with my employer?

- if no, what's my plan and therefore what is the best way for me to leave?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

On 04/05/2019 at 11:30, nicurro said:

My views on an entirely irrelevant matter . But when I voted, at least I was fully aware of the issues that I was dealing with and voted accordingly - I did not go around making stuff up to suit my personal opinions. 

The quote you placed here did not come from ACAS, but from an ambulance chasers site, which is designed to lure in the unwary. So that claim you made was not true, as was much of what you posted earlier on and which you now say wasn't true.

I am wondering if, at any point, you will realise that your personal opinion does not constitute the law. Removing a shift allowance (or whatever it is called) that you are allegedly not entitled to, a possible contractual change (because if the allowance accrues to an element of work that you do not do, it isn't even a contractual change - it is a contractual affirmation) , is not a sanction. A sanction is "a threatened penalty for disobeying a law or rule"

You are not being threatened with a punishment for anything. It is not a penalty. It is a contractual matter only, which you may or may not be right about -although the more you say here, the more it appears that the employer may be correct and you may not be entitled to it - hence the advice to stop digging holes.

And since you have now decided that anything you dislike, even though you are wrong about it, deserves personally offensive remarks and insults, I wish you well of your employers. You appear to deserve each other. If they aren't "telling the truth" as you claim, then nothing to date here suggests you have any greater affinity with the truth either.

Recently the same employer has agreed a new pay structure with the Union for all employees who they knew were receiving shift pay.

I/ we were missed out from this as the term shift pay had been renamed by the employer at the point of TUPE.

I merely wish for the employer to recognise that this happened and if they go through their records it will be obvious.

24 minutes ago, nicurro said:

Recently the same employer has agreed a new pay structure with the Union for all employees who they knew were receiving shift pay.

I/ we were missed out from this as the term shift pay had been renamed by the employer at the point of TUPE.

I merely wish for the employer to recognise that this happened and if they go through their records it will be obvious.

Wait.

That's an entirely different matter to the one you first raised.

If you want ACTUAL help, you need to tell the full, honest story of what happened. No opinions and no ommissions.

Because you can't help an eel, it's too slippery to hold it while it tells you the truth.

• Thanks 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I am unable to help you because I don't have proper information with which to do so. You keep lobbing in extras and changing your story.

Suggest you find a non-internet lawyer to whom you can tell the whole story in confidence.

• Thanks 1

My opinion, based purely on my observations of OP's responses:

Either they are a troll, hence the "shifting sands" each time they receive a reply that answers their query (and doesn't agree with them), or they don't want advice, only validation of their pre-formed views (regardless of those views being wrong).

So, either way : OP you are 100% correct. Never wrong. You should go in and lay down the law with your employer, telling them exactly what you think, and why they are wrong.

Mind you, I'm not the one who'll have to deal with the consequences (if the situation isn't just being made up), so it doesn't matter that I'm just agreeing with the OP for the sake of it. They've already prevented 2 contributors (who have shown over time they know what they are talking about on employment law), from helping them, so how much additional harm can be caused by me taking the approach of just agreeing with the OP?

• Like 1

nic - I've read all this thread and I'm really confused (but I don't know as much about employment law as sangie and Emmzzi do).

Are you in a union or not?  If you are, what have they advised you about your situation (assuming you've told them the full story)?

In answer to your original question (and extensive exchange of posts) about a subsequent employer changing your T&Cs after TUPE, I can personally assure you that what sangie told you is correct.  I went through this some years ago when my NHS position was being transferred to a different trust (100 miles away!) and I got advice from my union (at a regional level), from my own trust's director of HR, and I also paid to get advice from a solicitor (don't worry sangie - I never sought representation from anybody - I didn't need to!) and they all told me what sangie told you.

It seems a great pity to me that sangie has wasted time advising you on this TUPE issue when it seems (I'm too confused by your changing story to be certain of anything) that most of what you've posted has been unreliable and inaccurate.

Emmzzi has had their time wasted too.  As Bazza points out above, both they and sangie really understand these aspects of employment law.

Maybe they do know there way round employment law but their life is not affected by what my employer is doing.

Maybe some poor posts by myself contributed to the issue but I am trying to recall 17 year history with 3 employers in the same workplace.

I have now found the illusive contract that previously I couldn’t along with a job description from the employer before TUPE so things may start looking up.

Grievance delivered with pre-meeting next week.

nic

26 minutes ago, nicurro said:

Maybe they do know there way round employment law but their life is not affected by what my employer is doing.

Maybe some poor posts by myself contributed to the issue but I am trying to recall 17 year history with 3 employers in the same workplace.

I have now found the illusive contract that previously I couldn’t along with a job description from the employer before TUPE so things may start looking up.

Grievance delivered with pre-meeting next week.

nic

I think sangie and Emmzzi are simply trying to advise you, impartially, as to what the law is and what your legal "rights" as an employee are.  You may (or may not) quite justifiably feel hard done by and unfairly treated by your current employer, but that does not neccessarily mean that you have any legal recourse.  If, however, you are a valuable employee and asset to your employer, they may decide to accommodate you anyway.  It's impossible to say from your inconsistent account.

Congratulations on unearthing your old T&Cs, but as sangie has said several times, provided that your current employer adheres to the prescribed legal procedure regarding the removal of the allowance (or whatever it actually is) they can do so with or without your consent.

EDIT:  Good luck with a grievance...

Edited by Manxman in exile
Addition

Having read the contract the actual payment that transferred was called shift pay.

There was also a criteria set for receiving the payment.

nic

I know it sounds confusing but I will try to explain again:

Old employer who gave contract paid salary & shift pay as itemised in contract and shown on payslip as salary & shift pay.

shift pay rate was constant and increased in line with annual pay rise.

Then TUPE happened

On new payslip from new employer It showed Salary & Responsibility allowance being paid with responsibility allowance at the same value as old shift pay.

Asked employer why name of shift pay had changed numerous times but was offered no reason but as long as I was getting same pay they said not worry it will be right.

Employer had now decided to remove the responsibility allowance as they believe it is for call out, even though it was a renaming of shift pay.

So where has my contracted shift pay gone ?

How can they call something by a different name then decide it is nothing to do with what it originally was for ?

Or make a story fit if they have lost my contract and they don’t know what it is for.

This all makes me believe that Employer has lost my Contract of Employment.

This is affecting at least 3 people in the department not just me.

Their are other workers in department that also have issues and grievances lodged with employer relating to lower pay for same job.

The Union have yet to be involved with the matter.

No final decision letters have been received up to now and the decision was made 7 days ago.

Hope this helps.

nic

Irrespective of what the allowance was called, were you paid the correct amount of money since TUPE?

If "Yes" I don't see what you can do.  And your employer can change your T&Cs unilaterally, provided they follow the correct procedure.

(Adding to my confusion because you haven't explained, were you working shifts for the shift allowance?  And did you undertake extra duties for the Responsibility allowance?  I suppose it doesn't matter, as they can just cease paying it, whatever "it" is.)

Yes they can stop paying it but they can’t change my contract without discussion and agreement as I understand.

The contracts were negotiated via the Union , the rest of the workforce had a negotiated change to their Contracts due to the shift pay element.

Our shift pay element has been renamed in error and it is now being classed as something that it isn’t to help settle complaints by other workers.

All I ask is that the shift pay element is still recognised as shift pay.

On 03/05/2019 at 21:17, nicurro said:

There were also at least 3 occasions where HR had said that they would have to stop my shift allowance as I no longer worked the required shift pattern,

Seems cut and dried to me. You don't do call outs and you don't do shifts. No allowance due.

another thing, it seems to be part of a negotiated agreement so ask the union reps about any subsequent agreed changes.

Also let them fight it out regarding the other groups who are complaining and dont get involved or even discuss the matter with your work colleagues.

Your union may well be able to create a condition that allows you to keep the payment for a limited time and then have it absorbed into normal pay or reconfigured into a retainer of some sort should you be required to take on extra duties or do shift work. Used to happen wfor people having a ( for example) safety role where being voluntary the employer couldnt actually pay the people to do it as part of their salary.

Book allowances for further or continuous  training is another payment I have seen, essential bicycle use payment one to pacify people who lose their car parking space to the builders.

There are ways and means if both sides are willing to go beyond the obvious. You need to speak to your union rep and see if things like the above can be used, especially if they have a pressing H&S matter to deal with that is totally separate from any wages dispute but might just get sorted at the same time by coincidence