Identity Thief has used my details for Fare Evasion!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1843 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I got a letter from TfL a few days ago saying that I've been reported 'for failing to produce a valid ticket, pass or photocard on the London Underground'. 

The thing is I wasn't even in London on that day. The only explanation is that someone is using my identity.

My car got stolen in beginning of the year which had my driving licence in the glovebox.

I am due to go abroad soon and now I have to deal with this.

What am I supposed to do?? I just want this to be over quickly!! 

This post has been promoted to an article

When you say you are going abroad, how long are you going for?

I think you certainly need to start off by responding to TfL and explain to them exactly what has happened – or at least what you believe has happened. You must of reported the vehicle stolen and also had some correspondence with DVLA in order to obtain a replacement driving licence. It would probably be very helpful if you sent TfL copies of the's correspondence and also the relevant crime reference number.

I'm afraid that I don't know the answer to that – but I would certainly lay down a paper trail and also to show good faith, I would inform them that you will be away for those three months and also even provide your address abroad so they can write you there. Provide them your email address as well.

I would also suggest sending them a subject access request because you should be able to discover what ID was used by your impersonator. If the driving licence was the only thing which was taken – then it is likely that the impersonator showed your driving licence. As I have already suggested, I imagine that you now have a replacement so there will be an exchange of correspondence which you can show TfL – but also your previous driving licence must have had some separate serial number on it. If your old driving licence was used in order to establish your identity then presumably whoever took the details, took the details of the driving licence reference number. I think that if you manage to obtain this as a result of an SAR, you would then be in a good position to show that it is not the number of your present driving licence and that it is indeed the number of the stolen driving licence.

Of course the impersonator may have used some other means to trick the TfL inspector into believing that the offender was you – but hopefully an SAR would reveal this as well.

If you decide to send an SAR then I suggest that you send it quite separately from the other documents that you are going to send them so that there is no confusion. TfL are generally pretty decent – but even they, with the best will in the world, may not be capable of opening an envelope containing a variety of documents and realise that one of them is an SAR.

Whatever you do you must lay down a paper trail. You may also want to telephone them and to discuss it. If you do then make sure that you have read our customer services guide and implement did the advice there before you do anything.

Hi.

I agree with Bankfodder about co-operating with TfL. It could be helpful if you can prove that you weren't in London that day.

When this person was stopped by the inspector, part of the evidence would be a description of them - height, colouring etc. I'm not sure how you would deal with this, but if you want to you could offer to tell them what you look like. I don't think we've had a case quite like this before.

But we have had other impersonation threads although not recently, if you have a read around the transport forum.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

do you have written proof on that day you were not in london.

simply send a copy of that to them with a covering letter

end of problem

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

All of the above is of course good advice. I’d imagine the case will be closed pretty quickly if you follow all the steps provided. I would also consider providing them with your full description, because the RPI would have taken your impersonator’s description at the time, which may in itself close the case quite quickly depending on a) how thorough it was and/or b) how much you differ from the person who used your details physically.

Perhaps not a good idea to leave your driving licence in your car. if stopped by the Police at any time, they always give you a few days to produce it so even if your car is stolen the thieves cannot get  a double result by using your driving licence as ID as well.

I know it's always being wise after the event, but there may be others on here who keep their d/l in their car.

Dont leave any documents in your car. Theres no need. This isnt the USA where you MUST produce it immediately upon request.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

24 minutes ago, renegadeimp said:

Dont leave any documents in your car. Theres no need. This isnt the USA where you MUST produce it immediately upon request.

Indeed. In this day and age too, it’s unlikely you’ll be required to even produce any documents to the police. We live in an electronic age, where all documents are readily available to the police before they even stop you from the like of the Motor Insurance Bureu and DVLA. Can’t remember the last time I had an insurance certificate....it’s on my ‘portal’ these days lol. In fact, the police will most likely not even ask for one at the roadside because they’re not worth the paper they’re printed on. Anyway, I digress.

My Driving Licence is in my wallet....I just assumed that was the norm (I must add, my wallet is naturally kept in the glovebox) 😁

Edited by Stigy

44 minutes ago, Stigy said:

Indeed. In this day and age too, it’s unlikely you’ll be required to even produce any documents to the police. We live in an electronic age, where all documents are readily available to the police before they even stop you from the like of the Motor Insurance Bureu and DVLA. Can’t remember the last time I had an insurance certificate....it’s on my ‘portal’ these days lol. In fact, the police will most likely not even ask for one at the roadside because they’re not worth the paper they’re printed on. Anyway, I digress.

My Driving Licence is in my wallet....I just assumed that was the norm (I must add, my wallet is naturally kept in the glovebox) 😁

Most police just ask for the insurers name and your details. THey then get the station or central call centre to look it up

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 2 weeks later...

the world of CCTV will undoubtedly rescue form this one. tell TfL that it wasnt you, what you sispect and ask them to  obtain any CCTV of the event and send it t you as you aresupposedly the data subject and you will let them know whether you can be identified as the person in the image. tis places them in an awkward position of not obeying one law because they believ that to do so would interfere with the course of justice in another matter. the end result should be the same though, they will ask for a piccy of you and then decide to drop the matter and this will be the last you hear of it or the SAR