Jump to content

Electrical work questions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all! Hopefully we don't end up with a wall of text, i'll try and summarise without losing detail.


My brother had his consumer unit upgraded from one of the old wire-type fuse types to a new board by a local Ltd electrical company the end of November. To this date, they've not received any documents that state they're an Electrical installation certificate, or a Building Control certificate, only a summary of the state of the rest of the electrical installation. The local building control don't appear to have had a notification this work was ever being done/completed.


On doing a little research, it appears that this company (or the chap doing the work), is not registered with any of the schemes allowing self-certification. From what I understand, this work requires someone to be registered with one of these schemes - AND should have sent some certificates by now.

Can someone confirm this is the case?




Bob R

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and Welcome to CAG.


What if I don’t use a registered electrician?

If you use an installer who is not a registered competent person, he or she must notify the registered third-party certifier within five (5) days of completing the work.  The registered third-party certifier will then, subject to the results of the inspection and testing being satisfactory, complete either an Electrical Installation Condition Report (based on the model shown in BS 7671) or one that has been specifically developed for the purposes of Part P and give it to the person ordering the work.







We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service


If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy,


I did find that site, but then also found this site which says it is the homeowners responsibility: https://www.labc.co.uk/homeowners/do-i-need-building-regulations-application-specific-projects/electrical-work


The regulations do not stop you doing your own work or using an unregistered tradesperson, but you will need to make a Building Regulations Application for approval.

This is all very vague and conflicting! I will get my brother to phone the local council building control tomorrow and see if they can enlighten him!



Link to post
Share on other sites

You can do your own work, but still need to pay a competent person to certify the installation is safe.

Many won't do this because they don't know what has been done under floor boards and into ceilings.

Best bet is yellow pages and good luck.

Then you bill the fake electrician for the certification and also report him if you have any proof that he claims of being qualified.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...