• Tweets

• Tangliss, if you can't upload the letter, could you tell us what the heading is please? My understanding is it should say 'Letter before claim' or similar. HB
    • Do you think I should send the CCA request now then instead of waiting? I really can do without the stress. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for responding.
    • How was the "receiver" appointed and what is their role? Appointed by the lender under the terms of their security on the loan (sometimes referred to as "LPA Receiver")? Or are they acting for you in insolveny? What's the current role of the agent?
    • Wait for more replies, but that letter to me can be interpreted as a letter before action. Ignoring it can have consequences. The court to impose sanctions for failure in responding to a letter of claim.
    • I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

lowell CCJ re: Cap1 card - now Warrant

Ds3Sport
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Council tax were a nightmare. Had to get the local councillor involved but even then we still had to pay the full amount. It took endless submissions of I&E forms before they finally decided we could get a reduction but even then they insisted we pay the full amount of the arrears and took us to court. We had to use part of one months rent payment to avoid the bailiffs coming in. We managed to pay that bit back to our landlord but then got hit with another council tax bill and another threat of court action. Luckily my wife's disability payment started coming through and so we had to use most of that to pay £200 off the arrears each month. Now when we have finally got to the last payment, which is £154 and had our council tax reduced to £54 per month this Lowell thing drops on us :( 

Council tax were unwavering and just kept saying they had a statutory duty to collect despite us having no money and only UC as income. It's a ridiculous system. We just scraped by but there are plenty who cannot. 

I have started on the New Enterprise Allowance scheme which helps people who want to start their own business or just work for themselves and I do have better prospects further down the line so, there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Just that right now we don't have any wriggle room with the finances. Anyway, let's see how it goes.

I hear you,

It took us from 2014 to 2018 to turn it around.  Once you start getting out of it you have the luxury of being able to think more strategically, e.g putting more effort into getting better paid employment etc , rather than just fighting fires.

I am very surprised at the council tax though, my area were a lot more sympathetic, and my local councillor was excellent.

I really do think that Lowell will be easy for you to deal with, just get that payment down to a quid per month and keep us posted here.

If you haven't already, have you sent GP's note, informing Water & Electric?. If they know that there is someone ill in the house they will not cut you off.  

Your number one priority is your rent, is there a way you can make extra income without affecting your benefits? Even if it's delivering pizza's?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It's been a rough couple of years for us. My wife had a high paying job in the city before she became ill and when she could no longer work we dropped around £4k per month from our income almost straight away. I was able to fill the gap for about a year but then I also hit a brick wall with dwindling customers and the debts started to mount up. We did contact all our creditors though which is why they have been so accommodating in their responses. 

My case with Lowell is one of the exceptions on this forum because I followed all the advice given here but it didn't work for me. I should have accepted their offer of a 50% discount right at the get go but I held out and ended up in court with a CCJ for the full amount plus court costs and a monthly payment I could not afford. It was a risk and just didn't pay off. The judge said the whole thing should never have come to court but, it it what it is and we just need to deal with it.

My problems are further complicated by not really being able to leave my wife on her own. I won't go into details but it is just something I cannot do right now. The business I am working on with the NEA is a work from home one so it suits our circumstances very well. My goal is just to pay the bills for now and then anything else is a bonus.

Our landlord has been superb, never once pressured us for rent and is not hassling us at all for the arrears. I think she knows we will pay it eventually and we do take very good care of the place but we definitely cannot fall any further behind. She does now at least have guaranteed rent every month. The housing part of UC doesn't pay the full amount of course but it helps a lot.

As for council tax. Our local councillors are not that great really. It took three attempts to get an answer from any of them and although one did get involved it had no effect on the outcome. I have heard that councillors can intervene and stop court action if they want to. I have read about this happening for others.

So I would say right now the main priority is utilities like gas/electric and water. We are with OVO for gas and electric and they have been pretty good although they have now passed the debt onto a DCA but there has been no talk of cutting us off etc. My plan with this is to deal with the normal account and the debts separately. So  start paying what should be our normal £80 per month payment to OVO so the debt does not increase and then make an offer to the DCA taking our circumstances into account. It's laughable but we did apply to the OVO energy fund which is to help people with large debts but we were told "you do not have enough income to qualify"! 

With the water we have been put on the vulnerable people list so again I don't think we would be cut off but we really need to start making inroads into that debt too. 

All seems like quite a mountain to climb right now but I am sure we will get there eventually :)

Threads merged for history....given that we didn't initially advise you or prepare a defence..so its untrue  to state.....

" My case with Lowell is one of the exceptions on this forum because I followed all the advice given here but it didn't work for me. "

Andy

Thread title amended 

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• AndyOrch changed the title to Capital One Court Claim ....Notice Of Issue Of Warrant Of Control - Lowells CCJ

Actually you did advise me about Lowell and I followed that advice. It is not a criticism, simply stating it doesn't always work in all cases. It is down to the individual to take responsibility. Advice from CAG is very much welcome but it doesn't guarantee a result only that odds are slightly more stacked in your favour. If it comes to court it then all hinges on which judge you get and what mood they are in. 

We didn't prepare your defence.....which is the most important part of defending a claim...but I agree it all comes down to a Judge lottery..the secret is to get the claimant to  discontinue.....then there is no judge.....its all in the prep and defence.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

I didn't think that was something you did? Anyway, the advice was sound it was just Lowell weren't playing ball in my case. They didn't even show at the first court hearing but the judge let it proceed to a second hearing when it should have been thrown out there and then. Just bad luck on my part.

Get the N245 submitted today and suspend the Issue of Warrant....you can do it on the same form ..first box before box 1.

Lowell wont agree anything and its really pointless getting into letter tennis with them....they only see £ signs..thats why I stated get it on a legal footing ..rubber stamped by the court...otherwise they will hound you for a review every 3 months.

Andy

• Like 1

Just a quick update.

I sent the N245 off to the court that issued the warrant (Horsham) but at the same time I emailed Brighton County Court because they handle all the admin for Horsham. I wanted to check that I was sending it to the right place. N245 states it should go to the court that issued the warrant. 

This morning I received an email from Brighton saying that

Oxford County Court are the bulk centre for processing N245 applications for Surrey and Sussex, therefore you would need to send your application to them with the £50 fee

That doesn't make sense to me because surely the court that made the order is the one that decides what to do with it?

A bit concerned now because I don't want one court sending it to another and then another and so on.

Well thats where it must be sent to...logic /common sense and the law are two different things :classic_blink:

They have already told you...Oxford...send it to Oxford and attach the above...

" Oxford County Court are the bulk centre for processing N245 applications for Surrey and Sussex, therefore you would need to send your application to them with the £50 fee "

Is  Horsham  Oxford County Court ? not my neck of the woods Ds3

No but Horsham is where the warrant was issued and on N245 it very clearly states to send the form to the court that issued the warrant. Oxford had nothing to do with the judgement or the warrant. 

On the warrant itself it states that payment of the amount due £212.25 should be made to the payment centre at Oxford but of course I am not paying that, I am applying for suspension of the warrant and variation of the order. 

As if it is not all stressful enough there is no clarity on where the damned thing should be sent!

I will send another form to Oxford and be done with it.

You could give Oxford a ring first and check ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this. 

So I did send the N245 to Oxford. Horsham had not even looked at it so didn't lose any money there. 

I phone the court on Tuesday to check on progress and they confirmed they had received the form and forwarded it to Lowell who has 16 days to respond. They also said they had notified the bailiff. So that was good, something happening at least.

Then yesterday we had a letter pushed through the door, hand delivered, no postage and which was "Notice Of Visit By Bailiff" It went on to say:

A notice was sent warning you that the bailiff would call if you did not pay the full amount £212.25.

The Bailiff called today with a warrant to remove enough of your goods to sell at public auction in order to raise the amount due, plus any extra costs for arranging removal and sale.

There was nobody in. Please email [email protected] or call 07779 455227.

Your goods will not be removed if you pay the amount of the warrant.

Thing is, we were at home. No one pressed the buzzer or knocked on the door. The letter was simply pushed through the letterbox.

I emailed the address on the form and told them to check with the court and that the N245 had been submitted etc. Not heard anything back.

Seems that bailiffs just carry on with their initial instructions regardless of what anyone tells them?

Anyway, if they turn up again I am definitely not letting them in!

Probably taking time to filter through .....still if he dont knock or ring the bell rather pointless letter.

Yeah that's what I thought. Why on earth come up to the apartment just to slip an unmarked envelope through and not even knock on the door? 

Anyway, not heard anything again today so hopefully Lowell have figured out this is a lost cause and will just accept my offer. If they don't I think it goes back to the court to decide?

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would update on the outcome of this whole thing.

Lowell failed to respond to the court within the 16 days allowed and so the court have determined that my offer of £10 per month is acceptable and have made an order to that effect. 

So now as long as I maintain the £10 a month, which I can do. Everything is sorted.

Thanks again for everyone's input on this. Helps enormously to be able to discuss these things with people who are experienced in such matters and perhaps have been through the process themselves.

• dx100uk changed the title to lowell CCJ re: Cap1 card - now Warrant