I have received 3 PCNs for parking in the council car park next to my work place. 

I work for the NHS. Long story short,

I accidentally applied for a Council staff permit instead of non-Council staff. 

I had no idea until I started getting tickets.

I thought it was a mistake that would be rectified which is why I parked there 2 more times after the first ticket.

I "challenged" the tickets but they were all rejected. 

My main argument was that I had received an email from the Council the same day I had applied for the virtual permit stating that my application was successful.

Therefore I fully believed I had the permit.

My understanding was that payment would be taken from my bank account details supplied according to CCTV footage.

I was told by the agency managing the permits for the Council that my account was cancelled a few weeks after being set up obviously upon realising the mistake.

However, the Council insist I never had an account in the first place in spite of their own confirmation email.

I plan to appeal further but any ideas on whether common sense might prevail in my case?

Thank you. 

there is a thing called estoppel so you can argue that you would have never parked there is you didnt honestly believe you had a right to ( and you have evidennce to support that assertion). You will need to get copies of all of the corected/deleted data you refer to and  tell the council that you want to take the matter to the local govt ombudsman rather than the traffic tribunal and would they consider ceasing enforcement activiuty until this has been decided. If they wont play ball then go to the traffic adjudicator and the the local govt ombudsman and if your argument is successful you can reclaim the money paid out.

Councils are pig headed and greedy but by letting them know what you intend to do may well make them consider the costs versus the benefits of pursuing you. As you arent saying you are not going to pay ever they may well get into trouble for not even considering the offer

• Thanks 1

Ericsbrother, thank you for this. Are you saying I can apply to both the local government ombudsman and the adjudicator? I didn't know about the ombudsman. I will shout it from the rooftops wherever I can!

I wouild go to the adjudicaot first to get the tickets overturned and the to the LGO regardless and argue maladministration for putting you in that position.

Ypu will ahve to go through the council's internal complaints procedure first but letting them know that you arent going to just let the matter drop wont do any harm. start them off as separate items so you dotn get tied down by deadlines

Ok that sounds like a plan.  The whole thing is so irritating to say the least but I can see a way forward and hope on the horizon now. Thank you.