• Tweets

• You left the PCN number showing, but no worries, I've redacted it. Euro Car parks are very well known to us.  I've just skimmed through the titles of the latest 100 cases we have with them (I gave up after 100) and, despite all their bluster and threats, in not one have they taken the Cagger to court. You stayed there for 2 hours &:45 minutes.  I'm guessing the limit is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?  
    • If the claimant fails to draft directions the court can order a Case Management Hearing to set them but normally in Fast Track claims the claimant sets the directions...Unlike small claims track which are always set the court.
    • Not Evris offer, the court offers mediation service.   All claims proceed to hearing if mediation fails /not happen.   Why do you not wish to attend in person to stand your claim ?     Absolutely you must comply with the courts directions or your claim risks being struck out. Preparation for a hearing should happen irrespective of mediation.   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/460613-suing-a-parcel-delivery-company-when-you-dont-have-a-direct-contract-with-them-–-third-party-rights-copy-of-judgment-available/#comment-5255007   Andy  
    • LPA.  (I'm fighting insolvency due to all the stuff that he and lender have done).  He appointed estate agents - (changed several times). Disclosure shows he was originally appointed for a specific reason (3m after repo) : using his powers as acting for leaseholder to serve notice on freeholders (to grab fh).  There was interest from 3 potential buyers. He chose one whose offer depended on a positive result of the notice.  Disc also shows he'd taken counsel advice - which was 'he'd fail'.  He'd simultaneously asked to resign as his job (of serving notice) was done and he'd found a buyer.  Lender asked him to stay on to assign notice to the buyer.  Notice failed, buyer didn't buy.  So receiver stayed.  There was 1 buyer who wanted to proceed w/o fh but receiver/ lender wasted 1y trying to get rid of them!  Disc shows why. But I didn't know why at the time. In later months Lender voiced getting rid of receiver. Various reasons - including cost.  But there's a contradiction/ irony: as I've seen an email (of 4y ago) which shows the receiver telling lender not to incur significant costs and to minimize receiver costs.    Yet lender then asked him to serve another notice - again counsel advice indicated 'he'd fail'.  And he did fail.  But wasted 3y trying and incurred huge legal costs - lender trying to pass on to me. Lender interfered - said wanted to do works.  Receiver should have said no.  But disc. shows he agreed to step aside to let them do the works - on proviso lender would discuss potential costs first (they didn't), works wouldn't take long (took 15m), and lender would hold interest (they didn't) (this last point is crucial for me now - as I need to know if I can argue that all interest beyond this point shouldnt be allowed?)   I need to check receiver witness statement in litigation with freeholders to see exactly what he said about 'his position'. But I remember it being along the lines of - 'if the works increased the value of the property he didn't have a problem'.  Lender/ receiver real problems started at this point. The cost of works and 4y passage of time has meant there is no real increase in value. Lender (or receiver) didn't get any permissions (statutory or fh) (and didn't tell me) and just bulldozed the property to an empty shell.  The freeholders served notice on me as leaseholder for breach of covenants (strict no alterations).  The Lender stepped in (acting for me) to issue notice for relief of forfeiture - not the receiver.  That wasted 2y of litigation (3y if inc the works) and incurred huge costs (both sides).  Lender's aim was to do the works that every potential buyer balked at due to the lease restrictions.  Lender and receiver knew couldn't do works w/o fh permission. Lender did them anyway; receiver allowed.  Receiver remained appointed.  I'm arguing lender interfered in receiver duties.  Receiver should have just sold property 4-5y ago w/o allowing any works.  Almost 3y since works finished the property remains unsold (>5y from repo). The property looks brand new - but it was great before.  The lender spent a ton of money - hoping that would facilitate a quick sale.  But the money they spent and the years they have wasted has meant they had to increase sale price.  It's now completely overpriced.  And - of course - the same issues that put buyers off (before works) still exist.   The receiver has tried for 2y to assert the works increased value. But he is relying on agents estimates - which have proved highly speculative. (Usual trick of an agent to give a high value to get the business - and then tell seller to reduce when no-one buys.). And of course lender continues to accrue interest (despite 4y ago receiver saying pause interest). Lender tried to persuade receiver to use specific agent. Disc shows this agent was best friends with the lender's main investor in the property.  Before works this agent had valued it low.  After works this agent suggested a value 70% higher!  The lender persuaded receiver to sack one agent and instead use this agent.  No offers. (Price way too high).   Research has uncovered that this main investor has since died.  I guess his investment is part of probate? And his family want it back?    Disc shows the sacked agent had actually received a high offer 1y ago.  Receiver rejected it.  (thus I don't know if the buyer would have ever proceeded). He was relying on the high speculative valuation the agents had given him to pitch for the business. The agents were in a catch-22.  The receiver sacked them. Disc shows there has been 0 interest ever since (inc via new agent requested by lender). I don't think lender or receiver want all this to come out in public domain via a trial.  It will ruin their reputations. If I can't get an order for sale with lender - can I apply separately against receiver?
    • Ok many thanks. Just wanted to check that nothing else for us to do / send for the moment. Will update again once we receive a copy of their N181 and proposed directions for review. Our post is a bit hit and miss at the moment. Appreciate the help through this process.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Made Bankrupt - how to overturn it?

seylectric
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

The appeal is on the 7th Feb.

We have both been rather unwell over the past few weeks, more tiredness myself from having too much to deal with in too little time, my partner is recovering from a minor op.

As such I've only just got my act into gear regarding getting the paperwork to the new solicitor. The old solicitor is a bit baffled that I have not been answering her calls but i wanted to be sure we had the new guy in house before I effectively "sacked" her; I didn't want her phoning the officical receiver and giving him the impression that we weren't fighting it any more (in which case he would have appointed a trustee immediately, which will cost us thousands more).

Remember her idea was that we had no chance of getting the bankrupcy overturned and our only hope was to get it annulled by remortgaging and paying the debts (and fees) off. Her fee was 4.5k + VAT but the final straw was that the company she got to arrange a remorgage wanted another 3.5k + VAT - to arrange a mortgage?????

Apparently the O.R. is going to appoint a trustee immediately if our appeal fails, but having only just sent the paperwork to our new solicitor, we haven't had the chance to discuss it further. I have asked Incasso for all the case files but got nothing; they were very quick to send a defence to our appeal in though!!!

I have also asked the council for all documentation relating to our case but they just keep telling me to contact Incasso. I have asked them several times how I fulfil my obligation to pay my council tax as I am jointly liable but they just keep pointing me towards Incasso and the OR. I have pointed out on several occasions that regardless of any action they have taken against my partner, I still have my own obligation to pay my council tax and they are effectively still refusing to allow me to do so! I have now written them a letter asking them to release me of all future obligations from the account since they are effectively refusing to let me pay it and placing me in an untenable situation (regardless of the position with my partner); they refer me to Incasso, Incasso refuse to discuss because my name is not on the bankrupcy documents. I have therefore requested that as they are refusing to let me pay it, the bill is declared null and void.

I would love some further advice as to whether or not I still have an obligation to pay when my offers of payment have been repeatedly refused. Admittedly this is a little game I'm playing with the council but if I could argue this point legally, that the debt be wiped out because they are refusing to accept my payment (remember I haven't been made bankrupt and I still have a council tax bill to pay with my name on it!) then surely it adds another angle - the council refuse to accept my payment so they surely must either release me from my obligation to pay OR wipe out the debt completely, in which case that would give my partner sufficient reason to have her bankrupcy annuled on the basis that the debt does not exist! Any takers on this?

Sorry, a lot to catch up on but our case I think is quite strong:

Statement by the server:

1. Terraced house (it's a semi)

2. Spoke to a 55 year old man at the house (nobody at our house meets that description and because of constant bailiff visists we NEVER answer the door unless we know who the caller is, we can see through the bay window)

3. Spoke to elderly neighbour who confirmed my partner (full name) lived there. Neighbour states that she doesn't recall speaking to anyone and doesn't know my partner's surname).

4. Heard the TV on. (TV is in the rear lounge, no way you can hear it from the front door, no access to the rear of the house).

5. Saw the lights on at 7.30 on 23rd June. (Lights on? Middle of summer at 7.30?)

6. Incasso claims to have made "every reasonable effort" to serve papers before asking for substituted service but as far as I can tell the server only called once prior to pushing papers through letterbox (allegedly)

Sorry, I'm on a roll.....

7. Letter to council back in May (which I had forgotten about) asking them how much we owed so we could settle up. no reply, a month later I phoned up and was told they couldn't accept payment as it had "gone too far" (first payment offer refusal) but said their solicitors (Incasso) would be in touch. The council didn't say at the time who their solicitors were so we had no means of contacting them.

The first correspondence we got from Incasso was two weeks or so after the bankrupcy hearing!

8. Application for a secured consolidation loan for £10k a few months ago, loan granted but we didn't take it up because we hadn't heard anything back from the council about our offer of payment in full. We didn't see the point of paying interest on a loan which was partly to pay off the council when they refused to accept our payment.

Unfotunately I have long since binned the loan paperwork and have just written to the loan company in the hope that they can confirm that we were granted the funds which would have enabled us to pay prior to the bankrupcy hearing. Not holding out too many hopes of a reply before the appeal though.

A few more points too, but I think we have enough there to put the original judgement into question, I just wish I had more time to deal with it. I think, from the few short phone conversations I have had with him, we have a decent solicitor on the case though who really does give the impression he wants to nail this rather than just take the money and get his secretary to type out a few letters.

I hope I'm right, but he is the first solicitor I have ever known that phones YOU, out of hours too, rather than you having to chase them all the time.

Judges can be strange creatures so we'll see, watch this space!

Sorry about the long post, trust me this is the edited version!

Oh, and thank you for your concern, very much appreciated.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Their refusal to accept payment from you is extraordinary. You should consider approaching your local councillor or MP. Alternatively you could start the ball rolling with a complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman (tell the Council that you're doing this).

This whole story stinks of a bureaucratic vendetta.

Yes, I want to do all that and more, only trouble is I'm struggling to get through the paperwork I need to do as it is. RBS owe me over £800 but have not yet got around to following up my claim (which of course they rejected).

I won't be taking no for an answer at the appeal that's for sure, we lose this and all hell is going to break loose.

Seylectric I'm so sorry I've just seen this, I presently working on 2 annulments (I mention this for you know I have an idea of it), if you would like an informal chat I will send my phone number. I can under no circumstances give legal advice but I will answer any questions you may have about protocol or the OR.

I'm so sorry to hear about all this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We have asked for an adjournment to allow the solicitor to go through the paperwork properly and get replies from the council/Incasso.

However having read through everything he seems to feel that we are now less likely to get an annulment mainly on the basis that the judge is going to say that we still owe the money and will want to know if we are in a position to pay it. I'm going to argue that whether we owe the money or not is irrelevant, the point is that proper procedures were not followed.

The irony is that we could have possibly just scraped the 4k owing but much of that is now being taken up in legal fees.

To be honest, the O.R. has been fairly reasonable, and hasn't published the bankruptcy yet, it's the council I hold the grudge against. I will be sending letters to them stating that I hold them responsible for the fees I am having to pay on my partner's behalf because they refuse to accept my payment, I am claiming that the case is between my partner and themselves and as such should not affect me in any way.

Going off at a tangent slightly, here is a good example of how the legal system has turned into complete farce in this country: Last Friday I went to Fleetwood court to defend a "Failing to name the driver" charge. Again I never received any documents relating to the initial speeding charge and the documents relating to the first hearing in June 2006 went to the wrong address. I knew nothing about it until I had to go to court in October to explain why I had not paid the fine and I had to go and ask "What fine???"

I explained to the judge I had received no documents and the fine was overturned.

The police then summoned me BACK to court on 3rd January. Unbelievably the summons for THAT hearing went to the wrong address (it was actually wrong on the summons AND on the envelope, no. 61 instead of no. 64, wrong postcode too. That was adjourned until last Friday because I pleaded not guilty.

I pointed out having now received copies of the original speeding ticket (speed camera, my car, correct address on ticket), June 2005 (YES 2005!!!), and copies of the original summons for Failing to name the driver (dated Jan 2006 but hearing was not until June 2006), it would have been impossible 12 months on to name the driver even if I had received the original documents.

The judge didn't believe I hadn't received the original speeding ticket (what's that got to do with it? The case was for Failing to name the driver, not for the original speeding offence), found me guilty and fined me £150 + £60 costs. I'm bloody fuming - £210 + 3 points for not being able to name the driver when my car was flashed for speeding over 18 months ago?

£210 for a "crime" with no victim, no accident, and orginating from a speeding offence that because that issue had never been to court, was not even proven! This concocted law is a disgrace, right to silence taken away and fined for well what exactly?

Seven days to pay, that's up tomorrow and I only got the paperwork today. What is even more ludicrous is the enclosed "Notice of requirement to produce driving licence" which states that "Your driving licence was suspended and is of no effect until it is produced to me." Huh? Why, since I have seven days to produce? Total farce, my point being this is just the soprt of thing we are up against. :mad:

Wow! I have just spent the last hour or so reading this thread and I must say, this just shows the whole mess our system are in!

From my own experience, Councils are the worst & most dirty players of them all. I'm in the middle of an appeal that the council has liability orders aginst me for a property that I believe was leased in a company name and not mine personally but they are complete arses-they only care that they have someone to hold liable, whether its correct or not, they are not bothered.

Just hang in there, although I am in no was up on law, there are plenty of loopholes in the whole case and, like me, you appear to be fighting this on the moral grounds. I could just roll over and finish paying the last liability order (over £3k paid already) but its the principle and the fact that they are wrong and have made my life hell over the past 4 years.

Go get em!

Tom

Thanks, Tom.

The Official Receiver's fees are apparently up to £550 already. For what, exactly? I will be asking for a breakdown of the costs!

What makes me really bitter is I am having to shell out thousands of pounds that I don't have because of the bankruptcy procedure.

The council have incurred this expense on us because they want their money, yet at the same time are refusing to accept my repeated offer of payment!

You couldn't make it up. Sadly, you don't have to.

Yes, it was a magistrates court. I was just generalising given that the "speeding" post wasn't really a discussion about that case, just my way of pointing out that this is the sort of thing we are up against when fighting the authorities on any level.

It's not a fair fight (even if you're innocent), you never get a rational explanation of anything, you are simply told that they do this (whatever the issue is) because the law says they can, hence that makes it Ok because it's legally correct.

You can apply this to bankrupcy, speeding fines, parking tickets, you name it.

I don't know your exact situation but it sounds like you may have grounds to appeal using legal funding......if your on benefits or are on a low income.......Its not for you to prove you didn't get the NIP but for them to prove you did.....it's called 'the evidence being beyond a reasonable doubt' a fact which some magistrates appear to have lost sight of..............They seem to think that it is a personal affront to them that a motorist should get off on (as they see it) a technicalty.....which of course it isn't........Many mags have little understanding of the law

• 2 weeks later...

just subscribing best of luck, CB

SETTLED CASES

LTSB (CC) £20 21-8-06

HSBC (CC) £600 19-10-06

HSBC (Ac) No.1 £1900 25-10-06

RBS (CC) £900 25-10-06

Smile (Ac) £1300 17-11-06

A&L (Ac) No.1 £400 23-11-06

A&L (Mortgage ERC) £3900 4-12-06

LTSB (Ac) £200 13-12-06

A&L (Ac) No.2 £120 19-12-06

HSBC (Ac) No.2 £650 29-12-06

LTSB (Business) £1700 13-2-07

RBS (Ac) £4500 + Default Removal 17-3-07

Barclays (Bus) Warrant of Execution 10-3-07 not used yet

ONGOING CASES

Egg (CC) N1 Filed £1300 + Default Removal Judgment Order 9/1/07 In my Favour

Barclays Business loan & 2 accs. S.A.R N1 filed Judgment in Default isued 15/2/07

HSBC (CC) have failed to produce Credit Agreement

TO DO CASES

Egg (Loan)

LTSB (Ac Ltd Company)

LTSB (Loan)

Just subscribing. What a shocking story. Good luck x

CLICK ON THE SCALES IF YOU THINK I HAVE HELPED!

I AM NOT SCARED ANYMORE!:rolleyes:

MBNA - To quote "The Carpenters", We've Only Just Begun..................;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Goldfish - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Tesco - SAR issued.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked this thread today couldn't stop reading. Good luck with your quest, your lass doesn't want to be made bankrupt, it seems to hang round the neck like a noose. Wor lass was made bankrupt on 28/2/2001 and discharged 28/2/2004 and has now fallen off the the credit file because of the six year rule. However, we seemed to cope better then. Beacuse my eldest son is getting married VERY shortly we tried to raise extra funds; there's no chance. Although we managed to keep our property (the OR could pounce though) there is a Caution shown at the land registry. I tried to borrow £3000 off my mortgage company but because of the caution the second word was off. It seems to me that criminals who come out of jail are treated better than honest citizens who lost all their money because of a business failure. Bankrupts will never really have a "clean sheet". Sorry to go on but I realise that many ex bankrupts end up doing well but personally, I think it is something to avoid. Your lass does not want to go down this road. Again, best of luck but the system is sh*t.