• Tweets

• Morning  I am sorry for this unacceptable delay on my behalf, however I never thought a simple complaint letter would cause me so much stress along with anger towards this company 🙄 however I only have this weekend to get things rolling. I should be back at hospital Monday (as long as they don't cancel on me again) and won't be upto much for a while from then on 🤔 So please bare with me, I need to condense my letter as it's totally long winded and off in points, I'm taking the advice given for prin 6 and 7, but was also considering prin 9,  Trust is also a major part for me here:  yes I did trust they had my interests and I totally relied on their advice and judgement, which I now know was all given with their own interest in mind not mine and for their own benefit and gains, no to assist me in any way. 
    • General Form of Judgement or Order received.   Upon not being satisfied that the notice of default was served upon the defendant it is ordered that the claim is dismissed.   Thank you all once again.
    • We believe this firm has been providing financial services or products in the UK without our authorisation. Find out why to be especially wary of dealing with this unauthorised firm and how to protect yourself from scammers. View the full article
    • Get rid of the car? I'm not entirely sure what you mean.    The long and short of it is, he has exponentially screwed up, not only illegally, but by lying on more than one occasion, he doesn't have a defence as if a judge looked at the evidence I'd 99. 99% win. I did everything I was supposed to, he has thus far avoided any responsibility for his actions. If it means going to court in brum of he wants to put in a defence, then so be it.    If I do as you say, and I'm presuming here that you mean send the car back to him,  if he accepts it back he then has the car, my money for the car and I wouldn't just be filing for delivery then, would I?  I'd be filing for the cost of the car plus delivery.  Or do you mean sell the car to someone else?    I think I'll take advice elsewhere as so far the advice I have had elsewhere agrees with the outcome I want, for him to collect the vehicle and refund me the money, as he is by law required to do.   
    • TSB will be hoping its customers really don't care about the interest paid on their savings after it announced its Classic Plus current account would no longer pay anything at all from December. View the full article
  • Our picks

• @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 4 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Second hand car faults, garage wants me to pay for a repair

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 538 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Please try and explain your story as fully as possible but in a chronological order. It will make it easier for people to understand what help you need.

Please space and punctuate your story clearly. It is difficult to read an unbroken block of text.

I bought a 2003 Automatic VW Beetle from an independent garage on 3 March 2019 which seemed to drive fine on the road test. It had a new MOT and been serviced.  It cost £2,145 which I felt was more than the book price but it has been difficult to get a car like this.

On driving it back home after about 15 miles I noticed there was something wrong with the automatic gear change, then a engine fault light came on and the exhaust seemed to be blown.  I had a diagnostic done on this and it brought up faults. I let the garage know and they disbelieved me but have picked it up and taken it to repair.  The gear box was loose and had to be tightened.

They are now saying that it needs a new catalytic converter as emissions are too high and they want me to pay for this. My question, please,  is it reasonable that I pay for this? Feel I should have got an up  together car for my money. Advice please. Thank you.

Please name the garage.

Under the consumer rights act you are entitled to reject the vehicle if a defect occurs within the first 30 days. Whether or not you do this is up to you. But this is your backstop position and you should write a letter to the dealer immediately rejecting the car under the consumer rights act because of the defect which is manifested itself in the first 30 days of your ownership.

After that, if you love the car then you can negotiate with the garage to carry out the repairs on the basis that you won't reject the vehicle. However, you are entitled to have all the repairs done free of charge.

Not only that, but because the defects occur within the first 30 days, that effectively also resets the clock and you start with another 30 days once the car is repaired.

It's a question of what you want to do.

If the dealers aren't prepared to respect your consumer rights then you will have no choice but to send them a letter of claim and then sue them. We will help you. However, whatever you do send a letter of rejection immediately.

What about the name of the garage?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I wonder if you can now give me further advice on this. The car went back to the garage as I said, I have just been on holiday last week and yesterday returned to England to a text message that it needed a whole new gearbox and they want me to contribute £200 towards this. I know I am out of the 30 days now. It would push the price of the car to £2,315 which I feel is now a lot for a 2003 car and you here advised me that I should expect repairs for free. Please, what are my rights now and whaqt would your advice be? Thank you.