• Tweets

• I came back home on Monday and found this Claim form in my letter box. In the light of what I have explained earlier in regards to this debt claim, can anyone tell if I have any chance fighting it in th Court. SW in the last conversation request the proof of me living somewhere else, which I can't provide. They have info from the landlord of property being rented to me, I was there on electoral register, had bank account opened on this address, Driving licence had this address etc., but I wasn't living there.      Name of the Claimant -  Southern Water services   Date of issue – 12/06/2019     Particulars of Claim   The Claimant is statutory...etc The Claimant claims the sum £969 for unpaid water and or sewerage charges payable under s. 142-144 of the act and the Claimant Charges Scheme. The unpaid sum of £969 is for period 01/04/2014 - 08/07/2015. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year  from 08/07/2015 to 11/06/2019 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of the judgment or earlier payment at daily rate of £0.21   What is the total value of the claim? £1423   Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC ( Pre Action Protocol) ? yes Letter before Action   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  Yes, COA address.   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? No Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account?    No, water charges   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? Allegedly after - April 2012   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? No   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/ Equifax /Etc...) ? No, no anymore   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Southern Water - original creditor   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment?   Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? No.   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? No   Why did you cease payments? Never. I wasn't aware of bills.   What was the date of your last payment? Never   Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? Yes, creditor did not take my notice of bills being wrongly issued in my name.   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No  
    • If the case was brought before a UK civil court would UK rules apply or foreign rules?   I wonder if the original contract would strate what jurisdiction it's terms would be decided by?   I note that UK contracts frequently have a clause that says in so many words that any disputes  will be interpreted under UK law.
    • http://www.hadefpartners.com/News/333/Limitation-periods-in-the-United-Arab-Emirates   One of the key limitation periods to be aware of is the limitation period for a claim for breach of contract. We have been approached by many clients (including in-house counsel at large multinational and local companies, and even international law firms) who believe that the limitation period for a breach of contract (including a commercial contract) in the UAE is 15 years. What they are often not aware of is that the limitation period for commercial contracts (as set out in Federal Law 18 of 1993 (the “Commercial Code”)) is usually 10 years. Therefore, multi-million dollar claims dating back over more than 10 years may now be time-barred.   https://www.jstor.org/stable/3381662?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
    • how long did you sign up for ? if they claimed DD after that period …….
    • If this thread was started about your friend, please don't ask Q's about your dad or anyone else.   Keep this thread on track and use a new thread to discuss issues about YD, thanks.   Keeps thread simple and focused.
  • Our picks

• Future Comms is a Big Con. How to get out of it. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/417058-future-comms-is-a-big-con-how-to-get-out-of-it/
      • 4 replies
    • Future Comms issues. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/416504-future-comms-issues/
      • 5 replies
    • This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.

THIS IS HOW THE PHONECALL WENT 

I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
    • A shocking story of domestic and economic abuse compounded by @BarclaysUKHelp ‏ bank complicity – coming soon @A_Gentle_Woman. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415737-a-shocking-story-of-domestic-and-economic-abuse-compounded-by-barclaysukhelp-%E2%80%8F-bank-complicity-%E2%80%93-coming-soon-a_gentle_woman/
      • 0 replies
jotty

JP Morgan/Rooftop Arrears fees- The saga continues.

Had a response to my LBA, I had wanted the cost of home visits plus 8% which came to just over £600.

They have now offered to wipe the fees but not pay the 8%, but i have to agree to an NDA.

Should I accept or should I go for the full amount, bearing in mind it will only reduce the nice little fees and charges bit they have running alongside our mortgage which currently stands at £4500 or so.

Can you remind me how long ago you paid the home visit charges

The first was in 2008, and last in Jan 2019, JP Morgan are the ones offering to refund the ones they levied between 08 and 2017 when they transferred our account to their subsidiary company Rooftop. We are yet to hear from Rooftop about their charges between 2017 and Jan 2019, but as they are one and the same i expect same from them.

The 8% interest is more than the charges due to time which is why I am tempted to hold out for full amount.

So I'm sorry to ask you to go through this again – but how much with the charges and how much is the 8%? In other words how much are they quibbling over?

Also what is the interest rate that they have been levying on the pitch during that time? Why they've had your own visit charges, they've been lending the money out at some rate of interest so they've had benefit from it.

So much they quibbling over?

Thanks BF your replies have been a massive support, let me get the figures together as I have lost track and I will post up a quick resume. 

Quick breakdown:-

They set up a 2nd account some time ago which runs alongside our main Interest only mortgage, and they call that "default charges" which is made up of everything over the years that they claim is owed under their t&c's. This included failed dd charges, home visit, and also a nice little £50 pm whilst we are in arrears. This have grown over the 10 yrs we have had it to £4500. There is conflicting evidence as to if it would prevent us selling our house without clearing this as well as the mortgage which is why I am now trying to reduce what they can lawfully claim is owed.

Based on advice and my own limited knowledge I have decided to do things in small amounts, based on what the charges are for and also dates. In order to fully understand the system I have started with the contentious home visit charges.

As of today they stand at £277.50, but because they are from 2008 till now I added the 8% court interest when I sent in the LBA which brought the figure I am claiming to £510.18.

They have offered to refund the smaller amount in full but not the interest, all without prejudice and only if I sign an NDA which I am not happy with.

You are correct in that as this is a horrendous subprime mortgage we have easily  re payed the costs and some. So question is do I go to court for the full amount or accept their offer.

So the actual charges were £277.50 but they have attracted interest haven't they? So what was the actual amount paid including interest?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

So the actual charges were £277.50 but they have attracted interest haven't they? So what was the actual amount paid including interest?

No as far as I can see they haven't charged interest, as its a separate account they simply add charges and allow the balance to grow. They call them default fees. 

If I was to go to court then I of course would be able to add the 8% which is what I have done in the LBA.

Edited by jotty

Have you actually paid the charges? Or is this an outstanding balance on that account?

Just now, BankFodder said:

Have you actually paid the charges? Or is this an outstanding balance on that account?

No, but they have tried many times and I am baffled as to why they haven't forced it in reality, it seems they are happy for the amount to grow. 

They have on occasion added the arrears figure which is around £1000 to the balance of this account and claimed I owe £5,500 in arrears rather than the much smaller amount, but again they have never gone beyond the bad letter stage.

Okay.

If you haven't actually paid the money then you're not out of pocket. If you are not out of pocket then you're not entitled to pay interest on it. So I'm afraid that your position is that you can only claim/sue them for the capital/net amount – essentially asking for it to be forgiven – but without interest.

You can only claim interest when you are out of pocket – in other words you are getting compensation for the loss of use of your money.

However, the confidentiality is not part of the deal. I think that you have shown them your teeth already. They may not appreciate at this point that you aren't entitled to claim interest so I would suggest that you say to them that you are exceptionally prepared to accept the amount of money that they are offering but under no circumstances will you sign a confidentiality agreement. Tell them that this is your only fallback position and if they will not agree then you will see them in the County Court and as they know there will be no question of confidentiality. Point out them also that their treatment of view is unfair and that the basis of your action will be under MCOBS and that once you get judgement – as you inevitably will, you will be forwarding a copy of the judgement to the FCA as well as publishing it on the Internet.

Tell them that if they want confidentiality then they will have to pay your gross figure.

I don't think there is anything particularly to be gained by not giving them confidentiality on this issue if it gets you an extra 300 quid or so. However they may wake up and realise that you're not entitled to interest but I would certainly hold the confidentiality issue over them. My view has always been that confidentiality has its own value and if people want confidentiality then they must pay for it.

Yes understood, and thank you for the advice which I will go with.

In your opinion, do I have a case to start claiming back the many £40/£50 monthly admin charges also applied to the same account under MCOBS ?

yes

and everything else in the default charges account

The admin charges are probably recoverable but as we have said a few months ago, do it in small chunks which keeps it manageable, keeps the risk down and also establishes your credibility and your seriousness with the defendant. The more you establish that you are a serious litigant, then the more cautious they will be about dealing with you.

Thanks again, response has been sent accepting their refund but not the conf bit.

As said the saga continues..................

I suggest in seven days you follow up with a another letter saying that as they have not responded to your letter of X X X (the one you have just sent) you will be issuing your threatened legal proceedings in seven days for the full amount plus interest plus fees and without any further notice.

Having read up re CRA entries do I have a case if I complain to them, even though we have now not missed a payment for over 3yrs and the arrears have decreased Rooftop still record every month that the account is 3+ months in arrears. Now I suppose we are, but should this not now also show that we are not missing payments if that makes sense ?

for the months you have paid on time it should show tick green.

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

36 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

for the months you have paid on time it should show tick green.

Yes thought as much, who do I complain to, bearing in mind Rooftops problems in admitting they are wrong on anything, CRA's, FCA, or ICO ?

You should certainly complaint to the ICO. You won't be able to complain to the FCA – they have no root for direct access to individual complainant/consumers. You could also complaint of the CRA but it will be much better if you can get a provisional opinion from the ICO that they are in breach.

If you are sure of your ground then could bring a another action for breach of DPA. Once you have the judgement then you could send that to the ICO and also send a copy to the FCA as well as to the CRA

8 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

You should certainly complaint to the ICO. You won't be able to complain to the FCA – they have no root for direct access to individual complainant/consumers. You could also complaint of the CRA but it will be much better if you can get a provisional opinion from the ICO that they are in breach.

If you are sure of your ground then could bring a another action for breach of DPA. Once you have the judgement then you could send that to the ICO and also send a copy to the FCA as well as to the CRA

They are going to be totally fed up of me by now, but as always nothing to lose really apart from £25 of course.