Barclays Overdraft Fees - Reclaim help required

happycaravan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1676 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, 

I am in the process of trawling through 20 years worth of what i now understand to be PPI on a friends account.

Barclays are still charging her today and she wasn't even aware of this (for one reason or another).

After an SAR i sent in January they sent a huge bundle of statements which i am in the process of going through and highlighting all charges ready to add to the spreadsheet, 

however she knows she has more than likely been paying this for much longer

- i expect they have only provided statements for as long as they keep them for??

Do we just accept 20 years worth or push for more? 

My question is which spreadsheet do i use to enter the figures? 

Thank you in advance

Hi HC,

How far back has the bank sent YF's data for ?

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Apologies for some reason your message didn't show until just now :-( 

they have sent 20 years worth,

but she thinks she has probably been paying the overdraft protecttion/PPI for more than that.

I think she'd probably be happy with the 20 years though to be honest and they have confirmed by letter that she has the PPI and how to complain if she wishes to,

i would just feel better calculating everything the correct way.

I mean do they use the same method? 

Thanks

If they've sent you 20 years' data, count your blessings and work with what you have. Many others receive only 6 years' data initially from the bank.

Can you also confirm WHY you say this is about PPI - e.g. is it a bank loan a/c that has PPI ?

And what charges are you saying the bank is still charging - bank chgs or PPI ?

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again

Sorry for not replying sooner, I was struck down with a nasty chest infection and haven't been online for a few days :-(... playing catch up now. 

The charges are on her Barclays bank account,

going back through her statements it was originally called PPI however it is actually overdraft protection

- over the years Barclays have changed its name and it now appears on her statement each month as 'overdraft ppi'

- yes she is still being charged for this.

I quite agree we are lucky to get the 20 years of statements

- i was just asking on her behalf thats all :-).

Could you help point me in the right direction of which spreadsheet to use?

I have so many to input i'm getting worried at the amount i've got to do... 

Thank you so much for your help 

CISHEET 

use 24.9%

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you sooo much dx100uk

- i have a huge pile of statements to get stuck into but on one hand can't wait to get to the end and see the total figure. 

Thank you again - if we get anything out of this i'll certainly be donating to help the site, i really couldn't do it without you guys. :-) 

Sorry to ask more questions :-( 

On the first fees i am adding to the sheet the description used on the statement is 'Interest charged' @ 1.04 for example and then there is also an Overdraft fee every month too, this was in Feb 1998.

In March 1998 the description of the interest changed to 'O/D protection' and in Sept 2011 changed to 'Payment Protection, - today it says 'Overdraft PPI'. 

My Question is regarding the monthly fees - these have varied over the years (this was a Barclays Additions account and is now called 'Flexible with Personal overdraft') from between £5.00 and is now £12.50 per month. Do i need to include those charges on the spreadsheet too? 

Thank you 

no sep claim 'package account fee' reclaim.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Oh really? Gosh this is going to be neverending lol. 

I have located this thread here 

so will follow those instructions. So does it sound right that I am going to end up with 3 spreadsheets? one for penalty charges (I figured its worth a try), one for the overdraft PPI and one for the overdraft account fees...

Thanks as always 

yes though you might find that the PPI or the PAF automatically refunds some of the penalty charges..ie if to that date if one or the other had not been charged you wouldn't of entered into a penalty situation like over limit or WHY.

and they

Hmmm ok i will need to get my head around that one. I am going to see my friend this evening and get some info on the account package fees i.e did she ever use any of the associated benefits etc as far as i know she isn't even aware they exist! 

As for the penalties how do i find out what interest rate to pop on the spreadsheet? The statements don't seem to show the detail anywhere... 

Thank you again :-)

as said 24.9% enter that in cisheet cell d15

and they

Seems std for barclay claims

see the shelley or martin2006 threads

and they

Thank you again!

I have finally finished all 3 sheets and have had a good couple of hours reading Martin2006's posts too - thank you for that.

One for the Overdraft PPI/Protection (as they call it!)

one for the Account Fees and

one for the Penalty Charges.

I still have to add from December to present day as the statement's they provided were up to Nov 2018 so my friend is going to get the info before i send the spreadsheets and letters off.

Totals are (astonishing!) as follows: 

Overdraft PPI/Protection = £27,158.94

Account Fees = £4078.46

Penalty Charges = £20423.10

I was slightly stunned when i realised how much they all totalled and i know the penalty charges are not guaranteed,

my main concern there is obviously they will most likely refuse and if we want to get anywhere it means spending £900 with MCOL,

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the chances of success there if poss.

I don't want to advise her to outlay that kind of money (if she even has it) if there is little or no chance.

Glad to have got these done... still 4 more separate claims to go! i need a holiday lol 

MCOL £900?

you might find this thread interesting too.

and they

Thanks dx. Yes the MCOL said over £10k it was 4.5% of the claim and that amount it works out at about £900 - today anyway obviously that will only increase. Unless I'm looking at it completely wrong? 

I've just found Shelley's thread and spent a while reading that with interest, and from doing so it appears that the banks don't pay interest on the charges if over 6 years old. Do i still include them all on the spreadsheet initially? 

Hi HC,

If I recall correctly, Shelley claimed compound int't going back beyond 6 years so you should include all penalty charges on the compound int't spreadsheet.

This is different, of course, to treatment of PPI and account fee reclaims.

😎

Thanks so much Slick. I will include it anyway and see what she says about going down the court route, i think if it was me i'd take the chance but ive been there and done this so i know it's possible, asking someone to part with £900 on the off chance they might win the case is another matter. 

When you say above the compound interest can be included beyond 6 years, but it's different for PPI and account fee reclaims.... does that mean that we can't include anything beyond 6 years for those? Or shall i include and just expect them to 'cut off' after a certain date? 

Sorry for all the questions... i've thought the PPI claims could go back as far as you had the info :-( 

Thank you all so much for the advice as always. 

compounded int not time limitation.

and they

Hi HC,

I saw you mention Shelley's thread and mistakenly thought you were referring to a BarclayCARD penalty chgs reclaim.

What "penalty charges" are you referring to exactly - please confirm.

as the title says slick......

and they

Hi Slick, 

So we have (my friends Barclays bank account) has bank charges, overdraft ppi and also package account fees - all of which require separate claims i believe? (i have separate threads too just that dx has been helping out with them). Apologies for any confusion. I have finished spreadsheets for all 3 claims and they date back almost 20 years - the statements were provided by Barclays as a result of the SAR. Does that help? 

Thanks again