Are bailiffs allowed to climb over locked gates/fences

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1859 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think the OP just needs to be reassured here. Never Happen

The bailiff does not even have any powers at this point, and after such a time he would have to apply to the court under CPR83, to have a warrant issued, which after 13  years they would be V unlikely to issue.

• Like 2

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

As others have said and the OP understsands there is specific wording to say that an EA can only entrer premises via an unlocked door or other usual means of entry (for instance in a commercial building access may be via a loading bay which is not really a door.) 

There is no talk in the regulations of gaining accces over a fence to a garden to get to the outer door of the house and no case law which has examined if the usual means of access applies to, for instsance, a small ornamental garden fence that could be stepped over. I think if it wass a 6 foot fence with a locked gate it would be considered wrong to climb over but it would be down to a court to decide.

Even if the rules were certain, people don't always follow rules and what about burglars?

I think the OP should encourage his mother to keep the back door locked to keep out ne'er do wells of any sort.

Apart from her safety, insurers may not be keen to pay out if you leave a door unlocked for thieves to enter and pinch stuff.

Have to agree with E Munch, if a fence is like a foot high and say a small shrubbery that can be stemmed over, it would be down to a court, however if the bailiff was attacked by a couple of vicious cats, or a small dog lurking under the shrubbery then that would be their own fault. Especially if any door was locked.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I think the OP just needs to be reassured here. Never Happen

The bailiff does not even have any powers at this point, and after such a time he would have to apply to the court under CPR83, to have a warrant issued, which after 13  years they would be V unlikely to i

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

57 minutes ago, brassnecked said:

Have to agree with E Munch, if a fence is like a foot high and say a small shrubbery that can be stemmed over, it would be down to a court, however if the bailiff was attacked by a couple of vicious cats, or a small dog lurking under the shrubbery then that would be their own fault. Especially if any door was locked.

BN 

Stepping over a marker which the owner clearly intends to mark the periphery of his property is clearly illegal. Doesn't mater if it is a piece of string or a ten foot wall :)

The act does not prescribe entry by any means that isn't too difficult.

Thanks DB but the temptation for a bailiff to step over might be too great, presumably if there is an unlocked gate to open and walk through then all is OK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

51 minutes ago, brassnecked said:

Thanks DB but the temptation for a bailiff to step over might be too great, presumably if there is an unlocked gate to open and walk through then all is OK.

Perhaps BN, but the regs says "usual means of entry." I would say a rope around your garden would no be usual means .

It is interesting though as some say the warrant only applies to the home itself. Personally, I think access to the periphery of the premises is an implied term within the warrant. As without legal access to the garden the warrant could not be served at all.

Thanks again for all the interesting input, I personally would say climbing over a 6ft fence with permenantly locked gates is not a "usual means of entry" but who says they all follow the rules. Only time the back door to the property is left open is when grandkids are playing in the garden.

Edited by sinkorswim

If two thuggish looking individuals were seen climbing over a six foot fence into a garden where young children were playing whether legal or not, a passer by might dial 999 and the bailiffs would be having collars felt until all was sorted.

• Like 1

"59. Enforcement agents must only use a door or usual means of entry to enter premises."

This comes from the National Standards and must be read in conjunction with Para 3 which states:

3. We recognise this document is not legally binding, but offer it as a helpful tool for the industry and for creditors which, it is hoped, will inform their own arrangements and against which they may benchmark their professional standards.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 minute ago, ploddertom said:

"59. Enforcement agents must only use a door or usual means of entry to enter premises."

This comes from the National Standards and must be read in conjunction with Para 3 which states:

3. We recognise this document is not legally binding, but offer it as a helpful tool for the industry and for creditors which, it is hoped, will inform their own arrangements and against which they may benchmark their professional standards.

I guess that is why it is hard to get a definitive answer.

Yes as Plod says. This is the regulation, which is made under the power of the act and therefore definitive. 

Mode of entry or re-entry to premises

20.  The enforcement agent may enter relevant or specified premises under paragraph 14 or 15 of Schedule 12 respectively, or re-enter premises under paragraph 16 of Schedule 12, only by—

(a)any door, or any usual means by which entry is gained to the premises (for example, a loading bay to premises where a trade or business is carried on); or

I have to say, if anyone stepped over my small partition and trampled my plants, I would have him by the Hollyhocks.

• Haha 1